Sign in to follow this  
vonoben1944

Importing gif as textures to o2?

When I import my BAR machinegun from 3ds with textures in tga it works just fine. Its all just automatic. Piece of cake. Only it looks like shit. texture so compressed I hardly recignize my own work. But then Araon tells me gif is better as textureformat since o2 dont destroy them as much as it destryos tga textures. (You may have noticed.) Jpg apparently suffers the same fate as tga so that wont look good either. Now. Easy I think. I just make gifs and apply them in MAX to the model, resave it as 3ds and import it to o2.

This did not however work at all. Anyone else tried this? o2 claims it has not found any valid rgb files to convert to paa... Solution? Anybody?

That's odd. I've never heard of anyone having that problem before. With me, it's usually the exact opposite - TGA's carry the best quality and clarity where as GIF's are terrible, and distorted. I'm not sure why this is, but i'm hoping BIS could help us with an explanation.

Cheers,

Kace

you mean this: "cannot convert "\xxx\xx.gif " to \YYY\xx.pac" ?

It happens to most of my textures and blueprints sad.gif

How to fix that?

Have you checked that the file size was a multiple of 2?

I.E. 64x128

That plagued me for a long time before i realized they had to be like that.

/me stares at Pins and GFX

I also find that TGAs need Alpha Channels to be converted where as GIF files do not. It makes the process a lot faster to use GIFs as for me, they look as good if not better than TGAs with Alpha Channels.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desert Eagle @ May 31 2002,07:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you mean this: "cannot convert "\xxx\xx.gif " to \YYY\xx.pac" ?

It happens to most of my textures and blueprints sad.gif

How to fix that?<span id='postcolor'>

Yep exactly that. The multiple of two is not the problem. This is a 512x512 image, and it works fine as I import it from tga. Somehow it seems o2 wont recognize my gifs. Very puzzling as it seems to be working fine for some of you... BIS? Please?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jackal326 @ June 04 2002,18:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also find that TGAs need Alpha Channels to be converted where as GIF files do not. It makes the process a lot faster to use GIFs as for me, they look as good if not better than TGAs with Alpha Channels.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, i have used .tga's before, and actually took out the alpha channel, and it converted fine biggrin.gif