Oh interesting - it supposed to be a competitor to VBS? or ArmA?

If they will do things properly then it has great opportunity to beat them

Some of the mods already available for Outerra are very good. Its great to see this engine being seriously looked at for a mil/sim type game. I hope they can get it done, if they have trouble with finance, they could look to KS, make a great project and could raise valuable funds I would think.

Outerra could, as many of us have said in the past, be the next great mil/sim playground.:)

Promising. Hopefully, in one way (competition) or another (new engine solutions provider/inspriator) it will have some positive influence on future BI products as well. And, if we're talking aboud scalability, let's imagine this combined with things like Space Engine. Because "global" thinking is too narrow. Let's think "universal".

Well it would be very good for us players if BI would get some competition. Remember Operation Failpoint Fail Dragon? I´m convinced that we only got such a good arrowhead expansion (with lots of content and some VBS features like FLIR) because BIS thought that CodeFailers was delivering a game that could compete with Arma 2.

Interesting. I was wondering a while back how long would it take until a milsim will appear using Outerra. As far as I know, the attempt on a milsim using Crytek (immersive something) could offer very little compared to VBS apart from shiny graphics, but this... this could be a proper challenege.

First thing that comes to mind, I wonder how will micro terrain be handled in multiplayer. It's cool that the flat terrain near me is made bumpy using fractals, but how will a sniper see me from 1km away? Hidden or lying out in the open?

It looks very promising but I believe it will be more aimed at 'serious' use, i.e. for specific simulations and the 'game' version will come out at a later time (says so on their page too). But it is nice to see this engine getting a proper usage and a seamless, deformable and editable virtual world becoming a reality.

Looks very promising. Reminds me on DCS World a bit, with an even bigger scale and with Infantry playing an important role.

Id also like to know how the AI will handle it. And what it will cost once it comes out.

Looks really good, I hope the modding will be good as well. If they can have proper air, land and sea simulation i'll be really happy to buy it as I'd like something like this with the ability to conduct amphib ops (something I'm still hoping A3's expansion will have)

From the site:

The standard desktop version of TitanIM will be widely available in 2015.

Maybe they could add Halo ODST's for this in a mod?

But is it even a game, what's it meant to be. Because if it's just a sandbox without AI, nor a game focused designed it would be a pain in the ass to make it be minimally playable.

But is it even a game, what's it meant to be. Because if it's just a sandbox without AI, nor a game focused designed it would be a pain in the ass to make it be minimally playable.

I'm still hopeful that it'll one day provide competition to BIS and give them the kick up the bum they sometime need.

So the guy behind TitanIm is the guy who founded Bohemia Interactive Simulations?

I really hope this will become reality and will be a serious competitor for Bis.

Interesting stuff, I will follow it closely.

I have my doubts that it will be a serious competitor as a game to Arma for a long time. For Infantry simulation you need alot more ground detail to be realistic/accurate. Woods would have to be denser, there would have to me more clutter on the ground (-> cover/concealment) etc.

As a simulator platform for large scale tactic or vehicle stuff (for military applications) propably. Because military simulators are often purpose custom builds. E.g. a Simulator for Helicopter gunners/ pilots, tank crew, you name it. They only have what they need, and special additional things. Tied together with special hardware (cockpits with 6 DOF motion simulation, etc). I doubt those solutions are all fed back into the platform to benefit the civilian enduser.

Also, netcode, scale-ability for many players/AI, etc. Just because you have a promising sandbox engine does not mean a good game in the end. Interesting nontheless.

Also, i wonder why people (judging from the comments on their blog) are surprised that this ends up beeing used in military simulators? Very large realtime terrain simulation is a very niche market - the only real civilian use is vehicle simulators, mostly flight, less so boat, and even less so land-vehicle simulators. And maybe for the occasional interactive virtual tours (e.g. museums, exhibitions). Expecting it not to be picked up by/cooperating with the military is foolish and non realistic thinking imo.

Edited by Fennek

So the guy behind TitanIm is the guy who founded Bohemia Interactive Simulations?

Yeah along with a few other people that had been around from the start/early days of BIA/BISim.

Best of luck to them in the new endeavour.

I have my doubts that it will be a serious competitor as a game to Arma for a long time. For Infantry simulation you need alot more ground detail to be realistic/accurate. Woods would have to be denser, there would have to me more clutter on the ground (-> cover/concealment) etc.

Even considering an older version of Outerra i have given a try, the ground detail can be pretty...detailed. The clutter, especially the grass is better that RVs for instance, and the woods, even with using just a very low number of individual tree meshes, was pretty good as far as i remember.

Pretty cool. I doubt it'd play like a game but it seems perfect for what it's meant to do. And after seeing this TITANim thing, I'd be surprised if no-one decides to make an Arma-like game with Outerra once it has matured a bit more.

I know there's already some military vehicles modeled by people on the Outerra forums and a few topics on there as well where people say they'd like something like Arma on the Outerra engine. It'll probably be a few years (at least) before anything substantial emerges though.

Even considering an older version of Outerra i have given a try, the ground detail can be pretty...detailed. The clutter, especially the grass is better that RVs for instance, and the woods, even with using just a very low number of individual tree meshes, was pretty good as far as i remember.

Grass looks pretty good, indeed. But what i mean by clutter is undergrowth, rocks/ other objects that create representative environment for an infantry environment (or in other words: cover and concealment). And also smaller detail landscape features (ditches, little steams, those kind of things). Otherwise infantry can't act like infantry/ be resilient as real infantry - because it needs those features to be resilient. If you put infantry on a flat plane they are like fish in a bowl to everything.

Edited by Fennek

Looks great for vehicles but those AI soldiers looked a little erhm *cough* tenative...?

Looks great for vehicles but those AI soldiers looked a little erhm *cough* tenative...?

Considering Outtera itself is still pretty alpha-ish i am not suprised they dont look ready for release yet. :p

Last time i checked trees still didnt have any collisions.

True true and Im most def looking forward to where this ends up -hopefully in the civvie market. Im mostly curious what others do with large scale, open terrain AI as I think most people just don't get what a monumental task that is and just call Arma's dumb. Sure they are dumb on one level while the sheer amount of control and functionality over them is also pretty awesome. There's just no other games in which I can order so many units top so many different areas via other AI pilots, drivers, and boats. Yeah ok, the driver's may not make it in a timely manner but nevertheless.

Could people imagine if in Skyrim one could order hundreds if not thousands of units around the map via wagon train, mega hike and dragon -all AI controlled? Games just don't even attempt this anymore so I applaud any who try.