Sign in to follow this  
Turek2CDC

Plagiators

BIS should release some tool to protect p3d's, and make it like that, only ofp can open them (I mean to play).

I was plagiated 3-4 times, dont you think its enough?

pla-gia-rism

—n.

1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

2. something used and represented in this manner.

tounge.gif

Turec, don't worry. If BIS releases the tool Filebank, you can protect your p3d files. Then they will be probably the same version (or something similar) like the game p3d's right now (not the demo p3d's). Just wait till it comes out.

PSC

P.S.: I would not like it if someone uses my models without having asked me before of course. But didn't we all use the demo p3d's and modified them (or just changed the textures)? Is'nt this some kind of plagiasomething as well. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PSC @ June 13 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But didn't we all use the demo p3d's and modified them (or just changed the textures)? Is'nt this some kind of plagiasomething as well. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Not me tounge.gif (Except for the UAZ with MG but thats not released)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ June 13 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PSC @ June 13 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But didn't we all use the demo p3d's and modified them (or just changed the textures)? Is'nt this some kind of plagiasomething as well. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Not me tounge.gif  (Except for the UAZ with MG but thats not released)<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

[teacher voive]Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone[/teacher voice]

wink.gif Keg, did'nt you make the Winter Kolgujev addon? You had to at least use the 3D data from the island. And you used the name Kolgujev.

But of course we all don't claim that we have done the stuff by ourselves. We mention that it originates by BIS. So that means no plague..., erm plaque.., ah plagiarism.

smile.gif

PSC

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PSC @ June 14 2002,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ June 13 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PSC @ June 13 2002,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But didn't we all use the demo p3d's and modified them (or just changed the textures)? Is'nt this some kind of plagiasomething as well. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Not me tounge.gif  (Except for the UAZ with MG but thats not released)<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

[teacher voive]Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone[/teacher voice]

wink.gif Keg, did'nt you make the Winter Kolgujev addon? You had to at least use the 3D data from the island. And you used the name Kolgujev.

But of course we all don't claim that we have done the stuff by ourselves. We mention that it originates by BIS. So that means no plague..., erm plaque.., ah plagiarism.

smile.gif

PSC<span id='postcolor'>

Uh?... I did not use demo p3d's for winter kolgujev or any other addon.

Maruk has said that he is happy with us using the demo p3ds and material like that for our addons, as long as we don't try to charge for it biggrin.gif

Considering that there is little to no documentation for us to use Oxygen I think it was a good idea on BIS part to let us have the demo p3d's to explore and experiment with. I for one wouldn't have known what a predni kolo was if it stood up and bit me on the ear.

Sure people will depbo the demos and the models we make. But if that increases the life expectancy of OFP I'm all for it. I do have a problem with people that use our models and alter them saying that it was their own work. That to me isn't plagerism, it's theft.

The community is made up of a lot of individuals who couldn't give two stuffs when it comes to other people's work. On the other hand there is a bigger majority of people who are quite content to appreciate what the get given.

Because we cannot sell the models and they are on the public domain, all we can do is grin and bear it, I guess. It will be good when we can make the models into the Game's pbo file type and no-one can depbo them (for now).

I appreciate the efforts put into the community such as A-Lone-Wolf, Kegetys, FliPeR, and countless others who have shared their experiments and code snippets, tutorials and other advice and assistance. I say thanks guys.

In the meantime lets put our best efforts into creating new things for OFP. I know I'm still learning and it has been fun seeing a new model in the game.

Anyway thats my thoughts on this issue.

Cheers 8)

Klink

Here is a pack of some basic p3d needs to make a addon

It are demo files you dont have to xpack them i already done that

have fun

Basic P3D demo files pack

I'm not worried about plagiators using my model and reworking them (OK, they are plagiators only if I didnt authorised them before - as I did for Taiwan Workshop guys, when they asked if they could use my lates M4A1 models)! I'm more concerned about those plagiators that USE our models, change textures (or they even leave them as they are), use our .CPPs with slightly changed parameters and release the addon as it was ther work! I had a lot more problems with such plagiarism!

But unfortunately I dont see a way of stooping that... If they cant change the model ,they'll change the .CPP or the textures! So the binarising tool (MLOD2ODOL) you all expect so anciously wont help a lot....

Sad but true!

FlipeR

just to add my 0,02euro to it.....

i don't think it offers much help to encrypt the .p3d as mostly those aren't the ones which are used (...stolen) by those b***ards.

we at G8 had this with VIT stealing at first scorpio's F-16 and now my AMX.

he just smashed some BADLY made textures scanned from some magazine onto the models and deleted the copyright notice in the config.cpp. he didn't change anything besides that, the class names and even the file name of the .pbo remained original so his 'WORK' even overwrote scorpios and mines.

btw THE AMX DOESNT NOT NOT NOT LOOK AT ALL LIKE A KFIR. smile.gif or :/ or sad.gif

i used the hawk as template for my amx. just to politically correct here.

so the problem at least at the moment where access to oxygen is limited are not people who steal and f*ckup our models.

(my opinion is to not release oxygen to the general public anyway. but thats ----> another thread and has sufficently been discussed.)

i will release my new models, filebank or not.

color.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">we at G8 had this with VIT stealing at first scorpio's F-16 and now my AMX.

<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you are not talking about me :-)

I'm also VIT (from OFPEC) but i did't made any addons yet. And i belive other Vit type his name with lower case.

yes... the isreali VIT or vit or ViT or viT or whatever...

he is the m*r*n not you, definitely!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ June 16 2002,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And now imagine what gonna happen when Oxygen goes public!!!  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

thats exactly what i mean. sad.gifsad.gif

Im really afraid of what will happen to our private forums here. sad.gificon12.gificon12.gif

I dont think there is any solution to that, if you dont want your models "raped" then dont do them at all... I dont have a problem with it if someone takes my model and edits it to look something different, as long has he gives credit on who originally made it. Public release of oxygen is going to do something quite the opposite, right now non-modmaker people can only edit the existing MLOD format models with p3d2obj and obj2p3d so they cannot make anything really new.

good point but there is another solution to that,don't release your addons at all,i admit i use peoples configs change the model used to lets say a 20feet neck long human,but i never release anything except my M1A1 missile launcher by which i got granted permission by desert storm mod to change the config.cpp NOT THE TEXTURES i find this fair because it was their work,my first addon i used the config out of Snypir's config tutorial and made rubbish textures for the men,but hey! that was when i started,now i keep everything to my self! confused.gif

Welcome to the digital content world - protecting your copyright is extremely difficult here and often there is no reliable solution possible at all.

As your models can be loaded by OFP, no matter what encryption you use, it is always possible to reverse engineer OFP code and use the same loading methods. If you want to have some really reliable protection of your models, first there needs to be some reliable protection of game executable, which is currently technically impossble.

Once we will release binarization tool, your models will have the same level of protection as our models - this is the most we can currently do for you. sad.gif

This said, I am closing this thread. smile.gif