krazikilla

ArmA 3 with FULL VR support (motion control - like Onward)

Hey guys,

i dont know if you know the game called "Onward" for the HTC Vive (and soon Oculus with Touch) VR system?

How hard would it be for BIS to create this experience for ArmA 3 or DayZ?

And i am not talking about a seated experience, with just your headset and still use the keyboard. I am talking about FULL VR experience. Standing in your room, moving your body and use your hands to aim and shoot.

Before i talk on, just watch this short video:

It has artificial locomotion, so you are not bound to your roomscale and dont have to teleport.

First i thought you get motionsick, but the big majority of people actually dont.

Onward hit VR like a BOMB, and even its just made by one single guy, its one of the most sold VR games today.

I thought ArmA has much too much controls for VR, but actually, you dont need keys anymore for all kind of movement, you dont need keys for:

stand up, crouch, prone, sit, halfway up, combat stance, leaning, aiming, switching sights, throwing grenades, reloading, take pistol and so much more - As you all just do it with your body and hand movement.

- Driving and flying can also be done very easy in VR, by just using your controller as steering wheel, and for example one trigger for accelearting, one for slowing down.

Just to say, it should be possible, it should be possible without a huge amount of work, and it will bring ArmA and the whole gaming genre to a complete new level.

More examples:

GTA VR mod, one guy made a mod for GTA 5 - VR, with roomscale and motion controls.-->

Fallout VR --> 

Is maybe the DLC - Codename Orange "new perspective" anything like that?

Could BIS say anything about this? PLEASE.

Since i played Onward in VR, i actually cannot play any "2D games" on my flat screen anymore. I have thousends of hours in Arma since Operation flashpoint in the year 2001 or something, but cannot play it anymore, i am not getting immersed it just got completly boring. Same as Squad and all other NON-VR games i have :(

BTW: Performance is NO Issue.

I already played ArmA3 in VR with VORPX (3rd party software) and it worked perfect.  -->

Networkcode might be a problem maybe?

• Like 1

VR is the next big thingTM.  Companies not embracing the technology will be left behind - let's hope that BIS are on-the-ball.  I've got my 'VR Supporters Edition' money ready !

• Like 5

Yeah, like the 3d screens....oh wait....

With this single sentence i can see that you 100% never tryed a HTC vive or Oculus :)

You cannot, not even remoteley compare VR with 3D screens.

• Like 3

With this single sentence i can see that you 100% never tryed a HTC vive or Oculus :)

You cannot, not even remoteley compare VR with 3D screens.

Yes i tried vive but i think it's a little too much hyped, i've heard so many 'that's the next big thing' since i start playing games that i'm a little cautious. I find it immersive but very claustrophobic.

I find it ... very claustrophobic.

I own a Vive. The last word I would use to describe it is "claustrophobic," unless the experience being simulated involved being stuck in a tight, enclosed space. Is it the FOV that made you feel this way?

• Like 2

I own a Vive. The last word I would use to describe it is "claustrophobic," unless the experience being simulated involved being stuck in a tight, enclosed space. Is it the FOV that made you feel this way?

Well, i've only tested it at Paris Games week, so i haven't a very educated view on the matter, contrary to people owning it. But the claustrophobic effect i mentioned is more about having that whole thing around my head  :ph34r:

Well, i've only tested it at Paris Games week, so i haven't a very educated view on the matter, contrary to people owning it. But the claustrophobic effect i mentioned is more about having that whole thing around my head  :ph34r:

I own the Vive since half a year and non of my friends who tried it, ever said they got claustrophobic. Also never heared that anywhere around online forums/reddit and i am quite active around VR (unless ofcourse the game you play 'wants' to make you feel claustrophobic)

So thats for sure the least problem to worry about.

Its more the other way around, people think they can really jump off buildings/cliffs and so on: http://i.imgur.com/5i13KQL.mp4

...the claustrophobic effect i mentioned is more about having that whole thing around my head  :ph34r:

Not everything is for everyone. I agree that the Vive is not the most comfortable thing to wear on one's head, and the umbilical can be annoying. Hopefully future generations of VR will address these and other issues. 4K+, unobstructed FOV, wireless - some day...

Not everything is for everyone. I agree that the Vive is not the most comfortable thing to wear on one's head, and the umbilical can be annoying. Hopefully future generations of VR will address these and other issues. 4K+, unobstructed FOV, wireless - some day...

Ye true, its not the most comfortable, but also no problem.

Btw. the wireless kit is already out, you can preorder it as far as i know :)

Ye true, its not the most comfortable, but also no problem.

Btw. the wireless kit is already out, you can preorder it as far as i know :)

90 minute battery life

90 minute battery life

Its a start though and 90 minutes isnt that bad :)

But to be honest, i am not even bothered by the cable.

Unfortunately no.  Perhaps one of the DLCs will have it, although I'm very doubtful.

Would be cool and perfect for games like ArmA and DayZ :)

I hope we soon get some news from BIS directly about it.

Already Fallout 4, Doom, Serious Sam, Ubisoft (i dont lik em though..), eg. are jumping on the VR train. Keyword: Cross platform

On 11/23/2016 at 2:47 PM, kremator said:

VR is the next big thingTM.  Companies not embracing the technology will be left behind - let's hope that BIS are on-the-ball.  I've got my 'VR Supporters Edition' money ready !

I don't think so. VR is going to be big, but it will  be big on it's own. Much like Console's and PC's, each is it's own niche and each has it's own competitive and consumer aspects. Some games are only Console, and some games are only PC, the same will be said for VR. It will be used for many things, gaming, commercial and business use, but it's not going to eclipse the current market.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

I don't think so. VR is going to be big, but it will  be big on it's own. Much like Console's and PC's, each is it's own niche and each has it's own competitive and consumer aspects. Some games are only Console, and some games are only PC, the same will be said for VR. It will be used for many things, gaming, commercial and business use, but it's not going to eclipse the current market.

I think that's the most realistic assumption about VR I've seen up to now..

On ‎30‎.‎1‎.‎2017 at 11:48 PM, darksidesixofficial said:

Sure, but no doubt that Arma world would fit perfectly in to the VR world too. Onward has proven that already. Of course not all "themes" in Arma would not be perfect fit to VR, but then again.. since OFP times this game has been outstanding what becomes to open sandbox standards. BIS needs just to make VR core, and community will take care of the rest.

Maltti

Rockabilly House Server

Vr will fit perfect to the arma-universe because arma3 itself is a niche and all additions to this game (inf-simulation, helicopter-simulation, weapon-simulation). So it adds with every niche new players.

It seems neoarmageddon and another guy are working on a vr mod (but sadly since a couple of months no update):