krazikilla

ArmA 3 with FULL VR support (motion control - like Onward)

The main problem as I see it will be the lining up of optics/ironsights to one eye only. Unless this is built into the game you'll need some VR API where you can offset the eye interoccular distance per eye. It's no fun trying to aim with the gun lined up on your nose :)

• Like 1

In vorpx you can offset the eye interoccular distance per eye per inch in stereoscope mode triangulating it (lol). In other words: aiming works well still with this crappy vorpx in arma3 (optics and ironsight) and it seems to works very well in this first alpha mod with hand controllers.

I hope neoarmageddon will give some feedback on this thread :)

I'm afraid that neoarmageddon has abandoned us about this subject :(

Maltti

Well, I play ArmA 3 exclusivley with my Oculus Rift for hours sometimes and no problem there but handling weapons like in Onwards for example is for sure the missing part. Everything else is okay for a none exclusive VR title when you got all setup correctly like FOV and resolution for example. It's just that 3D is not 3D in ArmA like a true 3D enviroment, it's more like projected 3D when it comes to telling how far away objects are in front of you and is more dependant on the Z-buffer I guess

• Like 1

On 11/22/2016 at 9:47 PM, krazikilla said:

Hey guys,

i dont know if you know the game called "Onward" for the HTC Vive (and soon Oculus with Touch) VR system?

How hard would it be for BIS to create this experience for ArmA 3 or DayZ?

And i am not talking about a seated experience, with just your headset and still use the keyboard. I am talking about FULL VR experience. Standing in your room, moving your body and use your hands to aim and shoot.

Before i talk on, just watch this short video:

It has artificial locomotion, so you are not bound to your roomscale and dont have to teleport.

First i thought you get motionsick, but the big majority of people actually dont.

Onward hit VR like a BOMB, and even its just made by one single guy, its one of the most sold VR games today.

I thought ArmA has much too much controls for VR, but actually, you dont need keys anymore for all kind of movement, you dont need keys for:

stand up, crouch, prone, sit, halfway up, combat stance, leaning, aiming, switching sights, throwing grenades, reloading, take pistol and so much more - As you all just do it with your body and hand movement.

- Driving and flying can also be done very easy in VR, by just using your controller as steering wheel, and for example one trigger for accelearting, one for slowing down.

Just to say, it should be possible, it should be possible without a huge amount of work, and it will bring ArmA and the whole gaming genre to a complete new level.

More examples:

GTA VR mod, one guy made a mod for GTA 5 - VR, with roomscale and motion controls.-->

Fallout VR --> 

Is maybe the DLC - Codename Orange "new perspective" anything like that?

Could BIS say anything about this? PLEASE.

Since i played Onward in VR, i actually cannot play any "2D games" on my flat screen anymore. I have thousends of hours in Arma since Operation flashpoint in the year 2001 or something, but cannot play it anymore, i am not getting immersed it just got completly boring. Same as Squad and all other NON-VR games i have 😞

BTW: Performance is NO Issue.

I already played ArmA3 in VR with VORPX (3rd party software) and it worked perfect.  -->

Networkcode might be a problem maybe?

I Love playing and watching onward. 

Its the next step  really  and thus although onward is only tiny Maps and Limited items. Imagine Arma 4 VR..

Headsets are so cheap  Oculus quest 2 for 350$ which include being able to okay Wireless and streaming from the pc...

• Like 2

No. Just play a proper VR game. This looks promising. Phantom: Covert Ops. Or just wait for Arma 4.

FPS is not really the problem since there is nowadays technoogy available to create more "virtual" framerate. If your game delivers 30 FPS or more you will still have an acceptable virtual experience as the VR client will add additional pre-rendered frames.

The main problem is, that Arma 3 is in no way developed for VR. You need specific shaders, menus, controls, models and geometry to not get motion sick. And all this is not possible with the old Arma 3.

So, let's wait for Enfusion and Arma 4.