giallustio

Faces of War [WW2]

I've been driving about on the new Henderson airfield map. I've noticed that occasionally when driving through the jungle your vehicle will be launched into the air, quite violently sometimes. I suspect some of the custom vegetation is to blame.

Several of the "young_tree" objects are impassable to vehicles, it really shouldn't be so.

At many locations on the smaller footpaths, trees and rocks are located directly on the path sometimes blocking the path so completely it forces men on foot to leave the path and go around. I assume this was not intended. I will compile a co-ordinate list if requested.

Would it be to much to ask for an investigation into the possibility of enabling the Type 95 Ha-Go's turret to be rotated from both the Main Gun and Machine gun positions?

Eagerly looking forward to the next great update as always. 

I'm a huge fan of this MOD, thank you for all the hard work!

I'm after some nuggets of Information, If I could direct you to this.. 

I'm trying to rally some help for my project, If anybody could help...

Kind Regards

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

question wouldn't the Horizon island forces, be equipped with mostly french gear or are they supposed to be like the free forces and just equipped with whatever ? 

2 hours ago, yevgeni89 said:

question wouldn't the Horizon island forces, be equipped with mostly french gear or are they supposed to be like the free forces and just equipped with whatever ? 

Logistically, it would make more sense to buy arms from someone closer (ignoring the fact that ww2 french arms in arma is limited to Unsung mod) and if this was more a Recently Rapidly formed Colonial Militia slapped together from the impending threat of Japan and since it's the pacific it would be safe to assume that there would be an American garrison. it would not be so far fetched to have Tanoa's "Homeguard" armed by US Supply.

@yevgeni89
No the French were not present anymore from 1677 onwards. The Dutch annexed the islands in 1677 after the Franco-Dutch War.

Atleast this wiki page got me to believe this and that got me inspired :sigh: :

http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Horizon_Islands

Uniforms were loosely inspired by what the Dutch KNIL wore in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lopalmcivet _ said:

those uniform look like the japanese army?

They are, but the uniforms look like they've been re textured. Looks like he took the Type 98 (khaki-brown) and darkened it and stripped of the rank insignia. If the information on the page the lennard linked is to be considered accurate, the date supplied and the gear these troops are wearing would indicate that these were Japanese puppet troops. However, the flags behind them would indicate otherwise. The presence of American and British vehicles, along with the Springfields the troops appear to be carrying could simply be captured materiel.

The author's intent is not clear if the island is occupied by the allies or axis at this point however. I'm leaning toward axis occupied in my interpretation, as it's extremely unusual for armies to use captured uniforms, especially something highly symbolic like the Type 98 Shin Gunto many of these men are carrying.

And if I paid attention I'd have seen this. "Uniforms were loosely inspired by what the Dutch KNIL wore in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia). "

In which case they're clearly Dutch colonial troop and they really should not have swords.

• Like 2

This leads me to another question if this represents tanoa, are there plans for altis soldiers ww2 era ? :o

• Like 2

you guys made a lot of progress on this mod in a short amount of time. good work. i have high hopes for the future.

i really like the halftrack variations for the germans and all the pacific assets. you guys just need to add proper mg-42/34's et al with mounts instead of ones just laying on the ground with the bipod deployed.

@Lopalmcivet _you previous posts have been removed, this is the faces of war thread. Please create your own thread to post up screenshots of work in progress and please only show your own work. "Private/stolen addons" are not tolerated here. 

Now lets get back on topic. :f:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:51 AM, yevgeni89 said:

This leads me to another question if this represents tanoa, are there plans for altis soldiers ww2 era ? :o

I'd imagine they'd be British equipped, as Altis was apparently a British colony at one point as indicated by some of the map blurbs and presence of the Altis flag (colonial).  Should be a simple re texture, identity swap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Being military personnel myself, ww2 historian and reenactor, coming from an island near "Altis", and because my grandfather fought in the entire ww2 greek involvement (1940-1949) it d be great to see ww2 era greek units. To provide some historical info, greece was never a british colony.

After the greek-italian war (1940-1941), and the greek-german war (1941) the greek army was disbanded due to the german-italian occupation(1941-1944)...a few fleeing troops that escaped from greece formed the 1st and 2nd Greek Infantry Brigades in the middle east, under british 8th army's command. Most of them received commando training from the british commandos-sas. the 1st Brigade fought in the frontline of El-Alamein and Tobruk. Following some uprisal and slaughter incidents by communist elements among the troops of the 2 brigades, the communist viewing soldiers were disarmed and sent to military concentration camps. The current 2 brigades were disbanded by the British command, and the following 2 legendary units were formed by the remaining royalist-nationalist troops.

1. The Greek Sacred Squadron was formed as part of the most famous british commandos-sas jeep raiding groups. On top of Africa operations and daring raids the Squadron was also sent in the aegean to partake in operations, raids and sabotage missions across the greek islands and was the only greek military presence on the greek islands. The Sacred Squadron was disbanded in 1944 and in 1947 members of the Sacred Squadron and the 3rd Mountain Rimini Brigade (read below) formed the Greek Commandos that were needed for the rest of the war and the unit is still dating to this day.

2.  The 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade (3337 men) landed in Taranto and fought all the way up the italian european war theatre (Bari, Riccione, Rimini, Bellaria) alongside other famous units like the Gurkhas, Canadians, New Zealanders and others. For their heroic liberation of Rimini (september 1944) and the battles of the city of Rimini, Rimini airfield, Rimini outskirts and nearby rivers, villages and settlements (where each battalion got its renowned name) against 1st Fallschirmjager Regiment, Turkomen, 162 infantry division, and SS elements , the allied high command changed the brigade's name into 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade Rimini and awarded every single one of the troops a medal with the brigade's emblem on it (Goddess Athenas head) to be worn on their right chest pocket.
Immediately after this, the Brigade was sent in Athens to reinforce the government, and the British Royal Paras reestablish democracy, and fight in the first cold war battle, also known as Battle of Athens - dekemvriana (december 1944) against armed forces of the Greek Communist party led by present soviet commisars whos purpose was to attach Greece to the Soviet Union pact.
The remaining members of the brigade ( being fierced and highly decorated warriors ) were scattered later to form and train the new greek army. The war ended in 1949 , marking the end of ww2, greek anti-partisan war and the first cold war for the greek troops, after the communist army was pushed over the borders towards balkan soviet countries.

So, it would indeed be just uniform reskins for the game. the units that could be depicted are, the 1st Brigade, The Rimini Brigade and The Sacred Squadron, all wearing both desert and winter british equipment, and armed with british and american weapons. They only had slightly different insignias and emblems on them WHICH i can provide historical references and photos of the real items. I can also provide extra in-depth information.

Terribly sorry if this has already been reported, but there is a... mistake on the US M1942 Paratrooper uniform

2D2DB7876FF71D1477382EC9F83B4220253AD8FC

Yes, I posted it in discord as well, but I didn't see many team replies in there to I wanted to post here just to be sure. It's kind of one of those "you can't un-see it" things for me :P

10 hours ago, willgh96 said:

I really hope you guys are working on North Africa content.

no.....

maybe in future

• Like 4

There's always the PMC Libya terrains. I mean, desert is desert...

Will you be making a willys jeep with a 50 or a 30 on it if so you will be the first mod I've seen on arma with on that armed

14 minutes ago, Taplin97 said:

Will you be making a willys jeep with a 50 or a 30 on it if so you will be the first mod I've seen on arma with on that armed

:hmmm:

EDIT: Jokes aside if they do plan to do them, they would also need a .50 cal model which I know they'll be able to get one using BI's model, however I feel Faces of War is one of these teams that likes doing it for themselves so they might make their own .50 cal if they do end up doing it. Otherwise it's entirely up to them!

• Like 2

it would be sweet to see tho I've seen one jeep not a 40's willys jeep in the unsung mod

Watched Kokoda - 39th Battalion movie today...fucking hell your map makers did a really great job on creating this battlefield :)

keep it up

• Like 3