djotacon

Has Steam Workshop store Arma 3

yes i do own my own tools that i bought with real money. I can sell that content as i please. I simply cannot sell .p3ds (because that would mean i used BI tools). But these days you can create p3ds without the use of BI tools anyways...

commercial tools means = commercial license for 3ds max, SP2, quixel, PS etc. Or free variants such as blender, gimp, pain.net etc

Exactly, you can use any of this tool and sell anything created using this tools.

Notepad, .net paint, blender, audacity... and many others...

Even a script created using a notepad can be sell it.

I think in this community theres a strong "lobbiers" and "believers" that song the same song " THERE'S NO DEBATE", " WE CAN'T SELL ANY MOD"... and blah, blah, blah.....

But this is not a real fact, Arma 3 - behind his game mechanics - is a real time rendering engine and there's an entire plethora of assets for any 3D engine out there.

Instead spreading "the evil horror" of post like this: "pay money for Community Content is the death for the Community!", all the people can see that the assest are in fact a strong resource of assest to every single community in the world.

You can see this:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace

This stores are showing the progress of this wealthy communities around the world.

I mean no disrespect, and am not trolling, just asking.  Fill me in.

Wasn't this sort of thing settled back in April with "Skyrim" and hundreds of modders & players bashing Valve until they backtracked?

I see no problem with donating as long as it's not annoying like on Nexus.  "You haven't endorsed the following mods..."

A great example of how it should be done might be Enderal, a total conversion mod for Skyrim.  IMO, it's better than Beth approved DLCs!  Doesn't cost a dime, and at SureAI, you have to ask or find a tiny button on their homepage (not on the forum) that takes you to PP.  i.e. It's not in your face.  "Donate!  Donate!  Donate!"

Modding is a hobby.  I'm fortunate to have 3D-Max & CS-6 so I can do meshes-- not just textures and CPU heavy scripts.  I don't take money.  Start taking money and people start getting pissed.  "You ruined my game!"  Really?  Did you bother with the readme file?  "B-a-c-k- u-p  Y-o-u-r G-a-m-e"   Suddenly it's not fun anymore.

OK, so what's this have to do with Arma & Steam? 

Since it's BI's engine, don't they have every right to prohibit people demanding money for mods that would be useless without the game itself?

If a mod really helps me enjoy this sim (and users here have pointed me to at least three) be happy to support if authors are amenable. :)

But paying up-front for a user mod?

" Pas intéressé."   :sleep:

• Like 2

Modding is a hobby.  I'm fortunate to have 3D-Max & CS-6 so I can do meshes-- not just textures and CPU heavy scripts.  I don't take money.  Start taking money and people start getting pissed.  "You ruined my game!"  Really?  Did you bother with the readme file?  "B-a-c-k- u-p  Y-o-u-r G-a-m-e"   Suddenly it's not fun anymore.

Ahem excuse... DayZ was a mod, now a game...

Insurgency was a mod, now a game...

There's no hobby creating a well developed mod with more than 3000/4000 hrs. of man/work force.

The correct spelling will be: I think or I believe ... that modding is a hobby.

Since it's BI's engine, don't they have every right to prohibit people demanding money for mods that would be useless without the game itself?

Where's the BI'S engine in a texture pack created using GIMP? or a entire redress script created using a notepad? or a manual using libre office? or a model in blender?

All of this thing can be selled - and the texture pack and other assets are selled -

A great example of how it should be done might be Enderal, a total conversion mod for Skyrim.  IMO, it's better than Beth approved DLCs!  Doesn't cost a dime, and at SureAI, you have to ask or find a tiny button on their homepage (not on the forum) that takes you to PP.  i.e. It's not in your face.  "Donate!  Donate!  Donate!"

And why this is a great a example??? Beggin is a great example of what? when in our society beggin is a great example?

Do you realize where's Arma 3 if their devs can't sell his work? why a mod developer dont deserve the same appreciation than a pro developer if the modder is using the same tool than a pro?

This is to me a great a example that an assest payed by the community is fact a great thing:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/113852-mikeros-dos-tools/

and in the first post you can read:

Subcriber tools
private server

Cost is $35/year via paypal sloompie16@gmail.com (Marielle Andrew). Include your email address with your payment.

Enjoy

Where's here the sentence: "the payed mod's will be the end of a community"..

This is a payed tood/mod created by the community and is a great help to create maps/mods.

1. Wasn't this sort of thing settled back in April with "Skyrim" and hundreds of modders & players bashing Valve until they backtracked?

2. I see no problem with donating as long as it's not annoying like on Nexus.  "You haven't endorsed the following mods..."

OK, so what's this have to do with Arma & Steam? 

3. Since it's BI's engine, don't they have every right to prohibit people demanding money for mods that would be useless without the game itself?

If a mod really helps me enjoy this sim (and users here have pointed me to at least three) be happy to support if authors are amenable. :)

But paying up-front for a user mod?

" Pas intéressé."   :sleep:

1. yes it was

2. donation is voluntary and it happens across the modding communities, this bloke wants to be able to sell a mod.

3. nope. hey can simply prohibit (and they do via EULA) the sell of .p3d and. paa files, if these files are created using BI tools.

This is to me a great a example that an assest payed by the community is fact a great thing:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/113852-mikeros-dos-tools/

and in the first post you can read:

Where's here the sentence: "the payed mod's will be the end of a community"..

This is a payed tood/mod created by the community and is a great help to create maps/mods.

that isn't a mod, is a toolset. it's not the same thing

and please post in english, and edit your posts rather than posting 2-3 times in row. Also might wanna change that "i'm right you're wrong" tone if you want this to be a discussion rather than a monologue - and not want it to get locked. Otherwise, just post on your own blog or social media or whatever

• Like 4

Do you see any of this problem in this assets store?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/

or this?

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/

I dont see any problem that you mention it.

Well quick search on google revealed that at least on Unity asset store there has been numerous entries that have now been removed due to someone noticing they have been stolen from other games or used without license. So yes there is that. Could not find much anything on the yoyogames one, no reviews no comments, so maybe theirs work, maybe it doesn't.

I have no idea what has happened to those who have bought the assets and if they have gotten their money back or what has happened to the money the seller got from the sales.

On the other hand those market places are much better maintained than Steam workshop and since they are dedicated for commercialized assets they probably have dedicated staff who do quickly respond to reports, but for all examples I read someone outsider had spotted the stolen content so stuff like that slip through all the time.

Now Steam Workshop from what I hear and have seen has really poor control over what is uploaded and how it can be moderated and as such does not feel very reliable platform for asset store especially when compared to professional assets stores like the ones you linked since even those with all their staff (Assuming they got a proper admin team working on the store) have problems.

Btw is that Leadwerks store you linked earlier community store or does the company sell their own items there? I mean it would be interesting to see how that spans out. I did check out their items but could not find anything about who made them so I'm thinking its just their own assets for their game engine.

Steam refund policy also does not seem to be too fitting for something like this, I mean who would be responsible? Even Unity store has trouble with refunds when an assets does not work, how about with mods? Next version of Arma breaks the mod, but the seller does not update his mod. Those who have paid have now useless mod but can't do anything about it?

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Refunds on In-game Purchases

Steam will offer refund for in-game purchases within any Valve-developed games within forty-eight hours of purchase, so long as the in-game item has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Third-party developers will have the option to enable refunds for in-game items on these terms. Steam will tell you at the time of purchase if the game developer has opted to offer refunds on the in-game item you are buying. Otherwise, in-game purchases in non-Valve games are not refundable through Steam.

So yes I do see the same problems and they worry me even more now since professional stores have them too.

• Like 3

I'm starting to feel like OP's been answered ad nauseam, but I'll add one last thing : even if I had the possibility to charge for my mods (and if I had the courage to re-write or re-make everything that wasn't stricly created by myself), I wouldn't be comfortable with actually selling my stuff...

Unlike BIS or any other game studio, I don't have a QA department to make sure my work is satisfying or even playable, I don't know how long I can maintain a project before feeling "burnt out", do not own the engine I'm working on - and therefore can't guarantee my mod won't be broken every now and then or that I'll be able to keep up with the game updates... For a selling product, that's a lot of grey areas, with a lot of potential abuses.

Look at how many early access games have been crowd-funded, only to disappear a few months or a year later : what do you think would happen on the modding scene, where rules and responsabilities aren't clearly defined or not as constraining as it is for actual game studios? Steam Workshop is the farwest already, and money isn't even involved yet...

• Like 5

I'm starting to feel like OP's been answered ad nauseam, but I'll add one last thing : even if I had the possibility to charge for my mods (and if I had the courage to re-write or re-make everything that wasn't stricly created by myself), I wouldn't be comfortable with actually selling my stuff...

Unlike BIS or any other game studio, I don't have a QA department to make sure my work is satisfying or even playable, I don't know how long I can maintain a project before feeling "burnt out", do not own the engine I'm working on - and therefore can't guarantee my mod won't be broken every now and then or that I'll be able to keep up with the game updates... For a selling product, that's a lot of grey areas, with a lot of potential abuses.

Look at how many early access games have been crowd-funded, only to disappear a few months or a year later : what do you think would happen on the modding scene, where rules and responsabilities aren't clearly defined or not as constraining as it is for actual game studios? Steam Workshop is the farwest already, and money isn't even involved yet...

Dont worry, I have better things to do that reading threats and insults every time.

and please post in english, and edit your posts rather than posting 2-3 times in row. Also might wanna change that "i'm right you're wrong" tone if you want this to be a discussion rather than a monologue - and not want it to get locked. Otherwise, just post on your own blog or social media or whatever

Are you talking to me?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/215439774855744568/

Seems that you're talking to yourself, actually...

I think this isn't very complex to read, I think this is plain english:

Please read:

"Dont worry, I have better things to do "

interesting read there, especially considering it coming from that guy who got butt-hurt for not affording to commission a 3d model...but it is offtopic to this thread

Yeah sure, I dont think so, I think that is very, very related to this thread, but I'm not interested anymore on this.

As I say before:

Yeah sure, I dont think so, I think that is very, very related to this thread, but I'm not interested anymore on this.

As I say before:

it doesn't look that way since you keep on posting

Okay-second time having to warn people in this thread about their behaviour.

The question posed has now been answered many times- the OP has said he has "better things to do" than read his own topic. So before this degrades any further...

Locking.

• Like 4