Incon Airpower

Script package for Arma 3 mission makers that allows players to call in air support for target tracking and precision air strikes. Unlike other CAS scripts, Incon Airpower simulates high-altitude strikes where the aircraft is neither visible nor audible from the ground. As such, the aicraft itself is not spawned, only simulated, thereby avoiding all the hassle of Arma's pilot AI. Works best in single player and low-player-count COOP (lots of players using tracking may cause considerable server lag).

Perfect for missions involving SF teams working behind enemy lines to call in coalition airpower onto enemy assets (as in the ongoing real-life operation Enduring Freedom in Iraq / Syria).

SP / Co-op / Dedi compatible. 

Features

Call in guided airstrikes with the radio menu

Mark targets with laser, smoke, chemlights or IR strobes (night only for chemlights and strobes, day only for smoke)

Aircraft can lock on to and strike multiple targets simultaneaously (thanks to a slightly modified version of kylania's awesome guided missile script)

Optional collateral damage assesment by pilot - checks for nearby friendlies, civilians and sensitive targets and will automatically disengage if collateral damage is too high

Optional full NATO voice procedure simulation to guide pilot on to target

No need for map with airstrip or adding in any aircraft

Restrict JTAC capabilities to units with certain items in their inventory

Optional unit tracking on map, with accuracy that degrades with overhead cover, weather etc. (only shows targets that would be visible from overhead):

- (optional) restrict to units with UAV terminal only

- differentiates between friendlies (blue), unarmed infantry (white), armed infantry (pink), civilian vehicles (white, large) and non-friendly vehicles (pink, large)

If using a laser designator, the player can mark multiple targets at once and give clearance for a simultaneaous strike:

- mark 2 tanks and an infantry patrol, and the aircraft will track and engage those targets simultaneously, even if they move

- repeat your last mark if in doubt

- if your final target is a laser mark, the aircraft will engage your laser mark while it is active, and revert to your original mark position if it looses your laser mark

Realistic air speeds of ordnance:

- the higher the altitude of the aircraft (recommended at least 3000m), the longer the ordnance will take to hit the target

- missiles will travel faster than bombs

- ordnance speeds based on real data

Usage

Spoiler

1. Place "INC_airpower" folder into your mission root folder. 
2. If you have no description.ext or initPlayerLocal.sqf, place these files into your mission root folder too. Otherwise, add the lines from them into your corresponding description.ext and initPlayerLocal.sqf files. In description.ext, if the class is already defined (for instance, class cfgFunctions), just add the #include line to the given class.
3. Open the "INC_airpower\APW_setup.sqf" file and configure the settings to your liking. 
4. Decide how to call for air support, then do the following: 

If you want players to call it using a specific object (like a laptop or something) then, in the init of the object, write: 

this addaction ["Request air support","INC_airpower\scripts\airpowerSpawn.sqf",[],1,false,true,"","!(missionNamespace getVariable ['APW_airAssetRequested',false])"];

If you want the player to call it from their action menu, in the playable unit's init, write:

this setVariable ["APW_initAddaction",true];

If you want the player to call it from a radio trigger (radio Alpha), in the playable unit's init, write:

this setVariable ["APW_initRadioTrig",true];

Interact with CAS using radio Charlie or the action menu once it has been requested (depending on your settings).

License

GNU V3

Submit pull requests, fork your own version on Github, drink Bailey's from a shoe, do whatever. This is open source and entirely free to use. 

Changelog

Spoiler

v0.1 - Initial Alpha release

v0.101a hotfix - fixed legacy "compromised" variable error, script should now work! 

v0.102a - increased performance and reliability of tracking, adjusted timings, no longer tracking birds, snakes and rabbits

v0.103 - adds the option to add an action or radio menu option to specific units (see updated usage above)

v0.11 - configurable number of sorties, request interval, radio timeout, better tracking accuracy, reliable handling of aborted missions

v1.0 - multiple ordnance types for single strike, manual target marking, auto dusk/dawn detect, masses of fixes

v1.1 - MP compatibility, server-side execution, CAS Interact Menu, status reports, option to use action menu or trigger, numerous fixes and enhancements for multiplayer and collaborative JTACing, refuel timeout

Download from GitHub

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I must have done something wrong..not working.I get the addaction prompt, but I get a "Grendel 1-4" not available. My units are OPFOR...

This looks fantastic for a SP player like myself, thanks :D Is it possible to have an addon version of this so it could be used through placed modules or something?

• Like 2

I wanted to keep it as a script for now as it keeps the mod list down and there's probably not much advantage while it's just the one script. That might change if I release a few more scripts though. 

zagor, what settings have you used? There's a percentage setting that allows mission makers to limit the chances of air support availability and a 'night only' setting that prevents units from calling for support during the day. 

zagor, what settings have you used? There's a percentage setting that allows mission makers to limit the chances of air support availability and a 'night only' setting that prevents units from calling for support during the day. 

"standard" setting..as I did not change anything to try it out.... Map is Thirsk Winter...

20161120135922_1_2.jpg

• Like 1

EDIT: I got it working by removing the " (!(compromised) && " from line 48

I try with

if ((!compromised) && (_percentage > (random 100)) && ((!_nightTimeOnly) || (daytime >= _dusk || daytime < _dawn))) exitWith {

and

if ((!_compromised) && (_percentage > (random 100)) && ((!_nightTimeOnly) || (daytime >= _dusk || daytime < _dawn))) exitWith {

but no luck...

this is the working one..

if ((_percentage > (random 100)) && ((!_nightTimeOnly) || (daytime >= _dusk || daytime < _dawn))) exitWith {
  • Like 1

zagor64bz, thank you dude! Completely missed that one, it was a legacy variable I was using in one of my other scripts and it slipped through the net. 

How's it working out for you now? 

For anyone using the script so far: 

Hotfix now up - see download links in the first post! 

Had some time on my hands to do some more testing and I've got another small update and a video. 

Version 0.102 Alpha

Changelog: 

Increased performance and reliability of tracking vehicles

Unit tracking sensors can now tell the difference between humans and snakes, bunny wabbits and birds

Adjusted timings slightly (reduced delay between selecting laser guidance and being able to mark a target)

Increased laser accuracy - laser must be closer to an enemy target to initiate tracking

Overall target tracking responsiveness should be much improved now

Download from GitHub.
Download from Mediafire

Also, I've added a showcase / tutorial video. 

• Like 3

I wanted to keep it as a script for now as it keeps the mod list down and there's probably not much advantage while it's just the one script. That might change if I release a few more scripts though. 

I understand that-no worries. Looks fantastic though-the kind of realism the vanilla game should incorporate.Being able to call Air to attack strobes/smoke etc is awesome :D Great work.

Thanks ineptaphid! I am potentially going to release a fair few more scripts so I may well just package them up into modules for ease of use. If I get round to it! 

• Like 2

Thanks ineptaphid! I am potentially going to release a fair few more scripts so I may well just package them up into modules for ease of use. If I get round to it! 

If I may.....modules are nice, and very simple to use. However, please release also the script version, so,as you mentioned before, mission makers can keep mod list as short as possible.

Ps: looking forward to your other scripts...

• Like 2

Hi, is there any way I can activate this via a radio trigger? When I respawn I lose the addaction in my menu to call up the script so I think a radio activation would be better in my case. I am really enjoying the script I hope you keep building up on it.

Thanks! I'll have a think. I'm not entirely happy with how it's called at the moment so that could well be the best solution. Or I could just make sure you respawn with the addaction? What would work best do you think? 

Thanks! I'll have a think. I'm not entirely happy with how it's called at the moment so that could well be the best solution. Or I could just make sure you respawn with the addaction? What would work best do you think? 

I don't mess around with discription.ext's much so anything that I can put straight into the editor would work best for me, but I cant speak for everyone. I figured since you wrote this up you would know of a quick way to put this in a trigger so the player can allways call it up. I've never been able to get anything to work when respawn is in question. :P  :P  :P

• Like 1

UPDATE: Version 0.103 Alpha

Adds the ability to call air support from the radio menu on mission start.

Also adds the ability to add an action to specific units to request request air support.

Methods for calling air support are now:

If you want players to call it using a specific object (like a laptop or something) then, in the init of the object, write:

this addaction ["Request air support","INC_airpower\scripts\airpowerSpawn.sqf",[],1,false,true,"","!(missionNamespace getVariable ['APW_airAssetRequested',false])"];

If you want the player to call it from their action menu, in the playable unit's init, write:

this setVariable ["APW_initAddaction",true];

If you want the player to call it from a radio trigger (radio Alpha), in the playable unit's init, write:

this setVariable ["APW_initRadioTrig",true];

Download from GitHub

• Like 4

If I may.....modules are nice, and very simple to use. However, please release also the script version, so,as you mentioned before, mission makers can keep mod list as short as possible.

Ps: looking forward to your other scripts...

I second this for sure on the scripts!

I've really been enjoying this and your effects script. I don't know if you'd want to add this in a future release readme doc for how to change out the _necItem, but it was a pretty easy swap in the APW_setup and airpowerSensors sqf's. I use cTab or its android brother in the UAV slot most of the time, not sure if this would be of interest to anyone else.

Regardless, please keep the scripts coming, I really like your ideas!

• Like 1

How do I select the ordinance after requesting the air support? No type of menus pop up for me.

Cool mod. Looking forward to implement support of FIR AWS bomb pack...

Does this work on multiplayer dedicated servers?

Mantia, apologies for the delay in my response, yes it works in MP dedicated scenarios. 

Also, quick update on the plans for the script: in my next pass, I'll likely put in some kind of activation timer to prevent the script from remaining active if a player dies while calling it etc. 

Some other requested features are 

• Failures (sometimes the missile misses)
  • Mixing bombs and missiles (this may complicate things but is certainly possible)
  • Increase accuracy of missile tracking (should be good - I'll do more testing. The tradeoff here is performance so more calculations per second = more CPU intensive). 

I'll look into these as and when I get back into Arma depending on their popularity, so if you have an opinion, express it! 

Happy christmas and new year everybody! 

• Like 1

Haha well I'm taking a bit of a step back from Arma these days so I'll probably not do too much time consuming stuff, but I'll keep it in mind the next time I get obsessive! 

• Like 1