Sign in to follow this  
bravo409

Why more content how about fixing major issues first

Bis Why make more content, how about fixing major issues first in this game. Every time I youtube Arma 3 and watch game play I hear a lot of people saying Arma runs like crap. That said why in the world would you add new content that we can't even play. The real issue here is the optimization of the game,this is the elephant in the room and, there is not enough peanuts to make it go away. Please BIS fix the game so we can play it and then add content.

At this point I don't even care about AI which is the other issue so I will skip that. I and others would like to play this game without wondering when our PC will crash or overheat because of the problem I just discussed here. I have heard people say they bought new pc's just to play this game and still run like crap and others upgrading there pc and same result. Why would you even make a game that doesn't use GPU is beyond me. Why must the CPU run every thing should it be half and half here. BIS I don't want to have to wait for Arma 4 to come out just to play this game, there has to be a solution here. Thanks for reading hope this will be the Highest priority on the list for changes.

Regards Bravo409 out............................................................................................

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, and good points i may add, but if your going to rant, please dont forget to form a proper post with paragraph spacing ect,.

Blocks of text are bad on the eyes and no one writes, types, or reads like that, if your going to do that then take the minute to reedit your post so its readable,

maybe then BIS will take you seriously.

As for what you pointed out playing with a duel core yes its my own fault so complaining myself is somewhat unrealistic, however I can

still play the game and it looks great, just cant up to much on the graphics settings as I would like to, as you mentioned folks will need and or want to upgrade

just to play, and it costs more money, we already paid for the game and maybe the DLC's why must we invest more to actually run the game too.

Why would you even make a game that doesn't use GPU is beyond me. Why must the CPU run every thing should it be half and half here.

It does use the Gpu but AI, explosions, ect,. are cpu demanding.

• Like 7

The answer is simple. They can't fix them. My PC would give me an OOM warning within 40 minutes into streaming a multiplayer (with OBS Studio). It will crash 3-4 times every night. I think they should at least fix the memory leak. I'm OK with the CPU/GPU usage. I wouldn't buy any upcoming DLC anymore if they failed to fix the memory leak.

I don't claim to be a expert on making games I only play single player missions I make in arma 3. I am just expressing my Opinion here, and I have the right to do so also many people playing like some of the big leauge youtubers that play this also say this game plays crappy. I understand there's a lot of stuff that goes into this game but I bet you anything the project VBS ( virtual battlespace) plays better and, that it is run on the same engine and only made for military not civilians to play. 

• Like 1

anything the project VBS ( virtual battlespace) plays better and, that it is run on the same engine and only made for military not civilians to play.

...and also costs >$1000 to purchase an "academic" license and relies on heavily scripted solutions that aren't viable for use in Arma.

Bis Why make more content, how about fixing major issues first in this game. Every time I youtube Arma 3 and watch game play I hear a lot of people saying Arma runs like crap. That said why in the world would you add new content that we can't even play. The real issue here is the optimization of the game,this is the elephant in the room and, there is not enough peanuts to make it go away. Please BIS fix the game so we can play it and then add content.

At this point I don't even care about AI which is the other issue so I will skip that. I and others would like to play this game without wondering when our PC will crash or overheat because of the problem I just discussed here. I have heard people say they bought new pc's just to play this game and still run like crap and others upgrading there pc and same result. Why would you even make a game that doesn't use GPU is beyond me. Why must the CPU run every thing should it be half and half here. BIS I don't want to have to wait for Arma 4 to come out just to play this game, there has to be a solution here. Thanks for reading hope this will be the Highest priority on the list for changes.

Regards Bravo409 out............................................................................................

It would also help if you posted your PC details, as it's not really giving much to go on, some are lucky to have constant 60+ FPS and the crashes occur with addons, and not the core engine, there doesn't seem to be a common denominator in all these performance issues......you ain't running A3 from an SSD are you? I only ask as the one thing a lot of the guys having such issues have in common is the vast majority are running off SSD's.

Simple. Content sells more than bug fixes :( (I know, I work as QA in software development).

In fairness, developers need revenue streams otherwise the workers don't get paid.

Of course you and others have a right to say whatever they want. However if you want to be taken seriously then you need frame your opinions within a realistic context.

Generally Arma 3 runs fine in SP provided that you have a recent and/or decent PC and that you haven't pushed all the settings to the Max (notably View Distance).

For example this $1000 PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tBkqbj) will prolly run A3 at 1080p in Ultra Settings at 60+ fps in SP.

Inevitably performance in MP will be lower.

Sure Arma is buggy but it's also VERY ambitious. Too ambitious? Maybe

But can you name any other game that offers maps of 20x20km or even 40x40km?

And with support for up to 100 players?

And with massive support for mods?

And that strives for such realism?

Is Arma is  best in class in any of these categories? No

But if you take a holistic look, it's pretty good, perhaps even excellent.

So I'd argue that BI need to strive for excellence but not perfection.

• Like 3

Guys, do remember that not everybody at BIS can work on the engine. You've got people in many different departments, and you can't expect texture artists or modelers or what-else-have-you to try and improve the framerate on the engine level. Those guys can't sit on their ass forever, so why not create more content, especially if that extra content funds continued work on the engine by other people of the team?

• Like 9

Guys, do remember that not everybody at BIS can work on the engine. You've got people in many different departments, and you can't expect texture artists or modelers or what-else-have-you to try and improve the framerate on the engine level. Those guys can't sit on their ass forever, so why not create more content, especially if that extra content funds continued work on the engine by other people of the team?

All the DLC I bought this year and last has not generated a better engine, nor are there any apparent plans to fix it in the future. 

Really, this new paradigm of supporting game development through DLC is bunk.  Its just furthers the desire to make more DLC, not a new engine.  Of course, the engine is basically tapped out, it can't be fixed without significant or complete rewrite anyways.  If you want AMRA 3 to be better, its simply not happening.

Artist could be making assets for ARMA 4, why aren't they?  Probably because there is nothing even close to ARMA 4 in development.

• Like 1

i cringe each time i see this sort of thread happening. ignorance is bliss:
1. "optimization" is used ad nauseam as if it is a magic button one can press
2. a lot of patato pcs (be it server and personal) are trown in the mix.
3. no mention about the fact that bis has been working on a new engine for quite some time now - enfusion

• Like 7

I used to have VBS2, and it was great for some things, but not so great with others, characters and weapons were not the best of quality, but the AI was far supperior, I wouldn't say the VBS models were any better than the RHS ones, or anything Cunico and Sabre's released, they have some really cool animations I'd like to see like the HALO/SCUBA stuff, but really you cannot compare VBS3 to A3 as they're both directed towards different audiences, VBS3 is more of a simulations as opposed to A3 being more of a game... apples and oranges.

Here is my PC specs.....

Amd A8-5500 apu with built in radeon Hd Graphics-  3.20ghz

Amd Radeon R7 370 Series- Primary card used

6.00GB Ram

64 bit Windows 10

corsair 500 power supply

here is my results from http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/

Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM You Have: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series Minimum: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

You Have: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics

Minimum: InfoYou Have: 3.2 GHz

Minimum: 2 GB

You Have: 6.0 GB

FREE DISK SPACE

Minimum: 15 GB You Have: 619.0 GB
SOUND CARD
Minimum: Yes You Have: Realtek High Definition Audio
VIDEO CARD

Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better You Have: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series drivers-updates.gif Click here for the latest Video Card drivers.

bars_87-98.png 93rd percentile

VIDEO CARD
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better You Have: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series drivers-updates.gif Click here for the latest Video Card drivers.

bars_87-98.png 93rd percentile Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card     Required You Have green_checkmark_small.gif Pixel Shader version 5.0 5.1 green_checkmark_small.gif Vertex Shader version 5.0 5.1 green_checkmark_small.gif Dedicated Video RAM 1 GB

2.0 GB

RAM
Recommended: 4 GB

You Have: 6.0 GB

I don't claim to be a expert on making games I only play single player missions I make in arma 3. I am just expressing my Opinion here, and I have the right to do so also many people playing like some of the big leauge youtubers that play this also say this game plays crappy. I understand there's a lot of stuff that goes into this game but I bet you anything the project VBS ( virtual battlespace) plays better and, that it is run on the same engine and only made for military not civilians to play

Someday some people understand that a Military Simulator - like VBS4 - isn't a game.

Someday some people understand that Bohemia Simulations is a separate company that not have any "partnership" with Bis Games.

Someday some people understand that youtube is a nest full of ignorants that dont know nothing about games.

Someday some people understant that "Amd A8-5500 apu" is a horrible CPU to play any Arma 2-3 games.

Someday -sadly- the devs of Arma Games got tired listen complaints, rants, youtube kiddos and there's no more Arma games.

I don't claim to be a expert on making games I only play single player missions I make in arma 3. I am just expressing my Opinion here, and I have the right to do so also many people playing like some of the big leauge youtubers that play this also say this game plays crappy. I understand there's a lot of stuff that goes into this game but I bet you anything the project VBS ( virtual battlespace) plays better and, that it is run on the same engine and only made for military not civilians to play.

Can you show any proof that you have a VBS license... or are you posting youtube videos without having the VBS software?

• Like 3

OKay.This thread has begun to ramble offtopic and people are starting to personally attack each other and resort to childish name calling.posts have been hidden and warning points given-try to remain civil please.

VBS ( virtual battlespace) plays better and, that it is run on the same engine and only made for military not civilians to play.

IMHO VBS would be very weak as an entertaining game/source of fun. I think, it wouldn't survive on the market as common PC game (maybe as a game making platform...), would get harsh reviews and many players complains. A niche game at best. Poor audiovisuals (it's pretty ugly to me, feels outdated in this area, just forget, what you see on some fancy youtube showcases, also what's theoretically possible in VBS is not the same, what's actually in there by default), very rough at some edges, clunky here and there, bugs (proportional to complexicity, normal thing), nearly no playable content (technically you can set in editor some scenario and play it in SP or MP)... It's much more a platform for own projects, than Arma and much less "ready to play", much less a game than Arma. From the other hand, VBS is deeper, wider, with some fancy scripting stuff (but without some other fancy scripting stuff, A3 has) and more versatile in areas, on which VBS focuses - virtual training tool. Not entertainment. Frankly, there's not much stuff present in VBS, I would like to see in Arma, except mentioned fancy scripting stuff and some engine possibilites. In fact, I can imagine more stuff from Arma, I would like to have in VBS. 

• Like 3

Bravo409

You need to upgrade, your specs are a good part reason why your having issues with the game

corsair 500 power supply

500watt psu is pretty low, I got a 750 sitting in a box if you want it, as I upgraded to an 850watt last year.

Get more ram if possible.

I got 2 Nvidia Geforce 560Ti's sitting in a drawer next to me, I can sell you one if your interested as i'll never use them again.

I'm running a duel core with 8gb ram, 750Ti & 850watt psu and I'd say most of my settings for the video are midway, I have textures, shadows, ect,. to max, antialising is off,

if it werent for my CPu I wouldn't complain.

Arma3 is playable and of course it depends on what you desire to play too, but the game runs pretty decent for me.

Ideally you should upgrade to better specs even if its 1-2 parts replacing something low end. You cant complain of the issues the game has

when the issues stems from your own computer trying to run it, start with home base first.

Bravo409

You need to upgrade, your specs are a good part reason why your having issues with the game

500watt psu is pretty low, I got a 750 sitting in a box if you want it, as I upgraded to an 850watt last year.

Get more ram if possible.

I got 2 Nvidia Geforce 560Ti's sitting in a drawer next to me, I can sell you one if your interested as i'll never use them again.

I'm running a duel core with 8gb ram, 750Ti & 850watt psu and I'd say most of my settings for the video are midway, I have textures, shadows, ect,. to max, antialising is off,

if it werent for my CPu I wouldn't complain.

Arma3 is playable and of course it depends on what you desire to play too, but the game runs pretty decent for me.

Ideally you should upgrade to better specs even if its 1-2 parts replacing something low end. You cant complain of the issues the game has

when the issues stems from your own computer trying to run it, start with home base first.

I will give it to you,you have a point on those ...I was saying in general people I watch say there having issues and,that there pc are more than capable what about those?Also I appreciate the stuff you want to give to me.Thanks but I just play arma for fun I mostly do 3d modeling in blender so what I have here is good for that kind of thing. 

Here is my PC specs.....

Amd A8-5500 apu with built in radeon Hd Graphics-  3.20ghz

Amd Radeon R7 370 Series- Primary card used

6.00GB Ram

64 bit Windows 10

corsair 500 power supply

I will give it to you,you have a point on those ...I was saying in general people I watch say there having issues and,that there pc are more than capable what about those?Also I appreciate the stuff you want to give to me.Thanks but I just play arma for fun I mostly do 3d modeling in blender so what I have here is good for that kind of thing. 

make up your mind

i have 2 rigs:

1. i7 980X @4Ghz (6c/12t water-cooled 1st gen i7) | 24gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb vram | samsung 750 ssd, 1000W PSU |  DELL IPS 2417H - running the game high-ultra @1920x1080 around 50+ fps 

2. i7 2600k @4Ghz (4c/8t air-cooled 2nd gen i7) | 16gb ram (soon to be 32gb) |  gtx 1070 8gb vram | samsung 850 ssd | 750W PSU, DELL IPS 3415W - running the game high-ultra @3440x1440 around 50+ fps

both work better and better with each BI's update...

make up your minD

What are you talking about I was just simply saying I agree that I don't have great pc but I meet the requirements for both recommended and minim... 

if you ask me, the "minimum" and "recommended" specs are really way lower than they should be. just compare that to some other games available today.

• Like 1

Man I wish that one guy at BIS would hire some help. How can one man go between fixing bugs and making more content? 

• Like 5

All the DLC I bought this year and last has not generated a better engine, nor are there any apparent plans to fix it in the future. 

Ah??

What was the Helo DLC or new sound engine about then?

Or how about Zeus or Eden?

• Like 1

One other point about fixing the game before adding content. Arma's framerate has improved dramatically in the last 18 months-optimizations are happening all the time. The game cannot simply be moved to another engine as many people seem to want-that is impossible. But it is by no means a stretch to maintain solid 60fps on a mid-high end PC, which makes sense as Arma has a huge amount of complex systems running while being played.

Generally the complaints I see are people who play a lot of wasteland and king of the hill etc on public severs overloaded with players.

• Like 4

I will give it to you,you have a point on those ...I was saying in general people I watch say there having issues and,that there pc are more than capable what about those?Also I appreciate the stuff you want to give to me.

Thanks but I just play arma for fun I mostly do 3d modeling in blender so what I have here is good for that kind of thing. 

Agree, then those people may have something else that adds to the lag, I mean you can have a great pc but its fragmented, has registry errors, then playing with a thousand AI

on the map with explosions going off too, they could be running Norton Antivirus at same time, lol which is a resource hogger, idk but theres many things that can create a game become slower,

if folks dont care to take a look at what else is going on besides the game then imo its their own fault for what they are experiencing, one word for this debug.

As for the parts, sounds good, but if you ever want to upgrade i got some parts if you wish.

• Like 2

As for the parts, sounds good, but if you ever want to upgrade i got some parts if you wish.

Thanks a again appreciate the offer.