Sign in to follow this  
subject319

Anyone know how to mod rain textures?

So I've been somewhat disappointed so far with a lot of the implementation of weather effects like snow and sandstorms in terms of scripts and mods, and I think I may have come up with a way to implement them in the way I want, but I have no real idea of where to go starting.

Basically what I want to be able to do is either edit the texture Arma 3 uses for rain effects or create a duplicate of it and edit that so that it uses snow or sandstorm effects instead, but I have no idea of where I should be looking or what I would be modifying. The reason for wanting to base it off rain is it means that already the systems are in place for it to be very well optimized, but really the reason is because it handles being inside/outside incredibly well, doing things like showing it outside a door if you're inside looking out, while the systems that just make additional particles and has them swirl around you will follow you inside and cause clipping, to say nothing of the performance issues.

So if anyone knows where I should be looking and where I could start, I would be hugely appreciative.

Oh, and also, if anyone knew how to chance the colour of fog (without using tinting effects to change the entire screen) that would be insanely useful.

Sorry, I don't think you quite understand what I mean.

I want to change the texture/effect of the actual rain, so that I could replace it with a snow effect that maintains the same kinds of properties of rain, like not appearing under cover.

Sorry, I don't think you quite understand what I mean.

I want to change the texture/effect of the actual rain, so that I could replace it with a snow effect that maintains the same kinds of properties of rain, like not appearing under cover.

As far as I'm aware, the snow/dust effects is done via manipulating the games dust particle engine. not sure how you can change the properties of the rain.. good luck in your quest.

• Like 1

It's defined in configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> "Altis" >> "Rain" and configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> "Altis" >> "RainParticles"

Awesome, thanks!

I'm guessing though this may mean I'd have to modify a map to implement what I'm imagining, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

It's defined in configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> "Altis" >> "Rain" and configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> "Altis" >> "RainParticles"

Hey so I've been having a hunt through the config file of map_altis, and I can't find any references to Rain or RainParticles. Is this where I should be looking? And if so, could you give me a line number? Thanks.