milosv123344

Make Malden great again?

So i didn't know where else to post this, but i got a little worried while reading the latest dev blog post, i'll quote: 
"Malden 2035 re-uses many vanilla structures vegetation etc.."

Ummm...please don't? I'd much rather have this be a paid DLC than have Altis terrain and buildings/assets with Malden height map. I think most of us here are sick of the default setting in arma 3 for some time now. I rarely if ever play on altis anymore next to 20+ community maps. Tanoa was a good example of what i mean, it looks completely different than Altis, new assets and vegetation and everything else. This is what you should do with Malden, there are still many many people who play since 2001 and they would appreciate you doing this right, maybe even hire a few community members to help you guys out. Also, considering both Altis and Tanoa are set in 2035, maybe set Malden back in the 80s again, it would be "old" but "new" if you catch my drift. Hell maybe even make a small campaign. Member the purple/red mornings and evenings on those old maps? Oh i member! 

• Like 9

Have you played Project Argo? Even if there are "Vanilla" Structures, most of them are retextured, i think it looks pretty good.

Even with the same Buildings, but retextured, its a different feeling. If you did not tryed out Project Argo, you should.

• Like 1

Few things;

The title of this post is a bit sensitive for me so I'm starting off reading the first post not in the best of moods.

Second, agree previous post, Argo is looking good!

Third, personally still love Altis and in fact was making a new mission on the island today.

Fourth, isn't there a thread talking about Malden already?

Told you the title of the post put me in a bad mood ;)

Have you played Project Argo? Even if there are "Vanilla" Structures, most of them are retextured, i think it looks pretty good.

Even with the same Buildings, but retextured, its a different feeling. If you did not tryed out Project Argo, you should.

Ok it appears i'm not in the loop with arma 3 events. I didn't know about project Argo before this post. From what i've seen its basically ARMA meets CS/COD, correct me if my view of it is distorted? Worst of it all its on Malden, the fears, why i made this thread in the first place, came true,  same day i posted it, and its in Greece? Blasphemy! Joking aside, really, Malden was not in any way in mediterranean, it was designed as, and this is arguable, either south western France, or Czech republic. I however remember this screenshot so it might be greece but it sure didn't look like it in game . It would be foolish to change this. Calling it Malden and then switching the entire island to a different set of flora and fauna and theme, does not make it Malden. I will respect whatever decision they make, but as always, after all these years, my faith in the modding community is still strong, someone may fix it after release. Maybe even make a snow version.

• Like 1

In case you missed some explanations in the Malden DLC thread:

Hi,

I am here to clarify some stuff. I am not aware of anyone mentioning Altis buildings on Malden being placeholders, can you please pinpoint where this was mentioned?

Also it's not true, no new buildings are planned for Malden, so please be aware of that!

Thanks everyone :)

I'll try to explain decisions behind Malden DLC a bit to make our reasons clear:

Lads working on Project Argo had to start with some terrain to work with, and as there is a plenty of them remembering Cold War Crisis, they started with the shape of Malden. Eventually, idea of Bohemia Incubator came in and Project Argo was meant to be released into its public prototype. As we expected our community to be interested in the terrain, brave environment designers from Project Argo decided not only to focus on playable locations for the game, but to eventually complete the island as a whole - including the areas not used by Project Argo - for the Arma 3 players. And it only makes sense to us to release such a terrain as a free update to the Arma 3 platform :icon_twisted:

Indeed, as the terrain was mainly meant for prototyping, it uses Arma 3 assets, and some of the variants. There is a plenty of the old Malden spirit even on Malden 2035 - there are many landmarks on the same locations to remind people of stories of the Cold War Crisis. Still, as it is mentioned even in the Roadmap, Malden 2035 is re-using the Arma 3 assets.

As with all of our terrains, we want to support them with some playable content. We are planning to add some of the standard game modes to the Malden DLC and possibly even some more :icon_twisted:

Thank you for explaining.

A free dlc is always welcome, but since you guys already give shape to Malden, it might be worth consideration to make a non-free version of Malden; invest some extra to make a real copy with authentic buildings and vegatation, wich players have to pay for (not to much of course...). So offer the free version as it is and give something realy special for the fans willing to pay for. Just an idea.

We have considered that, indeed :icon_twisted:

However, as asset production is the part that takes significant time, we rather decided to put more effort into Tanoan buildings, see the platform part of Roadmap, and to add more interiors / ruins to buildings there.

Realistically speaking, there is a great version of the old, classic, Malden by CUP for example. What would You expect to make a difference between CUP and our re-creation? :icon_twisted:

• Like 4

In case you missed some explanations in the Malden DLC thread:

Aaah i see, i don't have much time lately and have did miss this. It's awesome tho because more people pointed it out than just me. About devs decision, well,  It is pretty much what i expected would happen. Should probably move to the official Malden thread. Moderators work your magic.

There is not need to merge the thread as this thread took a different approach - Closing :padlock: