Sign in to follow this  
KKB

Whats the point of different lods

I've seen quite a few addons with 5 or more resolution lods where all LODs were exactly the same (ok, most have at least 1 shadow lod).

What up with this? Is it cool to have BIG p3d files? I really don't get it. If you don't have lowpoly models to stick in the different LODs ok (I don't blame anyone, I know it is hard to do lowpoly models), but why putting in the same over and over? The Idea behind the resolution LODs is AFAIK that you provide less detailed models which are used when they are far away from the players point of view, so the computer can spend more power dealing with those models that are closer to the player and hence should have more detail. If you have no low poly model to put in the 'far away' LOD why making it worse and increasing the size of the p3d (and therefore giving the game more to load)?

If someone can give me 1 good reason why it makes sense to stick the same model in diferent resolution LODs, I'd love to hear it.

It doesn't make sense to have the same (high res) model in all the LODs. That's just waste of space really. Like you pointed out, the purpose of LODs (Level Of Detail...) is to reduce the amount of strain put on the computer.

Now, if addonmakers can't be arsed to make lower-poly versions of their models, I suggest that you don't bother with making several resolution LODs, as this will only increase file-size and will decrease the performance.

It's better to have 1 resolution LOD with a high res model, and display that no matter what distance, since OFP + your PC won't have to calculate the distance change and switch LODs accordingly.

So, this is a shout out to all of you:

If you don't want to make lower-poly LODs DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH MAKING THOSE LODS IN O2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ July 27 2002,14:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, this is a shout out to all of you:

If you don't want to make lower-poly LODs DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH MAKING THOSE LODS IN O2<span id='postcolor'>

Lets make it like this instead: If you dont want to make lowdetail LODs at all DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH MAKING ANY SINGLE ADDON IN O2 Models that only have the high res model are pretty much useless, they are way, way too big strain for the graphics engine. OFP is an outdoor game, with high view distances, so therefore LOD level are essential for all models!

But if the highest resolution LOD has 13000 polys (never thought I would ever see something like this wow.gif ) than "low"poly models will still be around 2000 polys which is not really desirable.

How about a selfrestriction, kinda like a standard for o2 addons? A max polycount for the level 1 LOD that anyone here can agree too? A standard like the OFPEC Tag-System? OK, maybe i'm dreaming now biggrin.gif

re: Pins

Thanks for not reading my post but replying regardless

A standart would be cool - but as computers advance they also become more powerfull biggrin.gif so in a about half a year the models can doble their polycount biggrin.gif

however.. don't do something stupid like the OFPEC tagging system.. or at least let other people watch over it! OFPEC still doesn't want to host my FAMAS - they always tell me i haven't tagged it correctly confused.gif BUT it's tagged exactly like they want it, it just uses a translation file and therefore doesn't need this stupid VIP tag in front of the weapon..

Well.. my mother used to say: if you don't have (technically) a clue - shut the fuck up tounge.gif so OFPEC: look at it again.. and start thinking wink.gif

..ehm.. i'm sorry.. this doesn't match the topic, hah?? Well, yes I want a LOD model standart aswell biggrin.gif

I'm all for an O2 polycount standard.

In the OWN Mod, we have agreed upon 2500 as the highest for ground vehicles. 2000 for aircrafts, and 1000 for weapons.

Note: These are all pre-O2 polycounts.

But the thing is, some schmuck (j/k btw) with a fast-ass computer will insist on higher polycounts, since his computer can run the models (Scorpios 13,000 poly Mig-29 anyone?).

But the sad truth is that the majority of the OFP community can't run that Mig-29, and even those with super-computers will experience bad lag when they put several Mig-29:s in the map. (I am just using the Mig-29 as an example here, since it's the higest poly model so far in OFP, that I know of.) And then they gotta move, fire, explosions calculated and drawn. And this is all assuming you only have your Mig-29:s in the scene, you gotta have stuff to shoot don't you?

What I am trying to say is: Lower is better.

Given time, any of us could recreate any of the models from original OFP, with fewer polys, and still make it look better...

I'll just shut up now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KKB @ July 28 2002,10:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">re: Pins

Thanks for not reading my post but replying regardless<span id='postcolor'>

Dont thank me, thank your local congressman biggrin.gif

I basicaly agree with ALL of you, but since I'm allergic to this kind of addon-makers and thus in a bad mood TNX to Scorpo's MiG-29, I will join Kege and say: If you dont want to make lowdetail LODs at all DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH MAKING ANY SINGLE ADDON IN O2!

Thats my opinion....

FlipeR

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (VipHeart @ July 28 2002,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A standart would be cool - but as computers advance they also become more powerfull  biggrin.gif so in a about half a year the models can doble their polycount biggrin.gif

however.. don't do something stupid like the OFPEC tagging system.. or at least let other people watch over it! OFPEC still doesn't want to host my FAMAS - they always tell me i haven't tagged it correctly confused.gif  BUT it's tagged exactly like they want it, it just uses a translation file and therefore doesn't need this stupid VIP tag in front of the weapon..

Well.. my mother used to say: if you don't have (technically) a clue - shut the fuck up  tounge.gif  so OFPEC: look at it again.. and start thinking  wink.gif

..ehm.. i'm sorry.. this doesn't match the topic, hah?? Well, yes I want a LOD model standart aswell  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Vip...you should have emailed me about this....I mean...about your FAMAS and OFPEC. sad.gif