Sign in to follow this  
ENS J.Smith

Issues with Dedicated server for public mission

Alright first off I have searched and searched and just cant seem to find a answer that works so please don't flame me for not searching.  I have been put in a situation where I am learning the server side of ARMA for a unit that I play with and have a question about a public server that we are trying to get up.  The server is going to run the mods, MCC Sandbox 4, CBA_A3, and Task Force Radio and we use TADST for our server program.  This server has a lot more mods as we use them for our units missions but do not require a verified signature for those.  On this public server I have created a profile in the TADST and put the mission and the 3 Mods listed, and set up all the other stuff that needed, and put verification on V2.  In the server folder I have tried this both ways, I have but the bikey files out of the three mods and also seperatly have tried the bisign keys from each mod and some had several.  These were both the ideas I was able to find on the internet searching.  Server starts up just fine and the mission file shows those three mods, but when I try to join with only those three mods active, in the server selection screen there is the arma DLC showing in the expansions with a red dot and the three mods with green.  When I try to connect it just says session lost.  I launched my arma with regular arma launcher and it gives me a error box saying I don't have the correct keys for not only the three mods, but also the dlc stuff seems to show also, think I remember one being A3_currator or something like that.  All the mods on server and client side come from the same repo that we maintain.  Almost forgot if I take the verification off the mission works as intended have several members join and no issues but all the mods that they had running obviously worked which would be a issue for a pubic server.

So the question is, on the server do I put the bikey, or bisign files in the KEYS folder and if so do I put all of the keys from each mod in the mission in there.(example TFAR has 2 bisign keys, and CBA had a lot)

Secondly am I doing something making the mission that is requiring the DLC expansions to be able to join the server and if so do I have to find keys for them.

Lastly I have seen that you can make keys for mods that are individualized to your server so they have to have that exact mod downloaded from you with that key.  I don't want to go this way as this is a recruitment style public server, and don't want to make people have to download files from us, we just want them to be able to play around and get to know us.

Any help is appreciated, I have been enjoying messing with this new side of arma for myself but I also have members waiting for me to find a solution to the issue.  I'm more than willing to learn but just havn't been able to find the right info yet.

Thank you terox, I swear I looked at that several time but I overlooked the part about the mod keys.

When you download an addon, typically the addon maker packs it into his own "named" mod folder,
for example @CBA_A3
Apart from the Mod folder, there should also be a "Keys" folder in the download.
The .bikey that is contained in the keys folder is for serverside use only, clients don't need or use it.
(Some .bikeys come in the addons folder, they dont belong there but cause no harm residing there)

So that answers some of my confusion on what file I should be putting in the servers Keys file, one last thing if you don't mind.  When making a mission it appears as if it is putting the  DLC content from Arma 3 as a mod on the mission.  In turn if I'm not right its showing that its required on the server when I create it, because in the looking for server screen it shows the three mods as green and the DLC as red, even though I have the DLC.  Does this mean when using V2 that those have to be verified somehow the reason I ask when looking at other servers it doesn't show those expansions in the required.  I'm guessing that's where my problem is, not with the keys now.

Once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will continue attempting to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I don't define the dlc mods in my command line argument, some do

So maybe try doing the opposite of whichever you are currently doing at the moment.

You have 3 systems in play on a dedicated server when you have signature verification enabled

1) The Currently loaded mission defines the addons that are actually required to play on the server for that mission. The required list of these addons can be found in the mission.sqm and are automatically added when you add a class of object while working in the mission editor

2) The signature verification has nothing to do with the mission, this basically white lists the addons that are allowed on the server.

It does this by some form of check between the servers .Bikeys found in the server's keys folder and the corresponding bisigns for each addon found in the various clients mod folders

Providing every addon the client is running is covered by one of the .Bikeys on the server, the client is allowed to connect. (Also taking into consideration the addon requirements for any currently loaded mission)

3) This is based on assumption. The server reporting to the gamebrowser must define the list of addons that are currently required for the mission selected

I don't load the DLC content via a -mod=XYZ in my commandline, it loads without this and for me our server is always green.

Hope that helps