What to do, it's not about that! If there was anything better, I'd use it with pleasure! But, there ain't, at least for my knowledge  ;)

don't you feel it would be better to create your own stuff rather than use some ugly stuff from the internet? no offense, the old west idea is really cool but it deserves its own content rather than stuff put together with nails and glue...

@pufu.....your second post is a little more constructive than your first....but only just. Uncalled for.

• Like 4

don't you feel it would be better to create your own stuff rather than use some ugly stuff from the internet? no offense, the old west idea is really cool but it deserves its own content rather than stuff put together with nails and glue...

The answer is simple - no 3D modelling skillz. But, fully agree. 

And yeah, most of the objects are vanilla or from Apex, then CUP, then other mods.

Edited by Igor Nikolaev
  • Like 1

And yeah, most of the objects are vanilla or from Apex, then CUP, then other mods.

while that is understandable, there are quite a few people already interested (and quite a few threads( about this old west gameplay. Wouldn't it be easier to get together and create something from ground up then?

again, i meant no offense, i am well aware of the time it takes to create something from scratch and i have the utmost respect for people who are actually trying to do it.

• Like 2

If I didn't have so much going on at the moment, I'd offer to lend a hand! :)

But yes, good luck on your endeavours - it does sound like an interesting project! As Pufu mentions, could be worth linking up with mod-makers? I'd recommend on focusing on the core mechanics first and really pouring your heart and soul into it - possibly aim small, work on one or two Western outfits, alongside a revolver and rifle - and really go for gold. Maybe even look for talent outside the Arma community too (Blender community, etc.) - but as you're probably well aware, you'll still need a solid foot in the Arma modding camp; there are quite a few tricks of the trade that are Arma-specific (I'm still learning many of them myself!). I think Pomigit and the Blue Harvest Interactive team were on the right track with their excellent SW mod - they started very small, and built up from there. Quality over quanitity - although, I may be wrong, as Lenin said, 'quantity has a quality of its own', lol!

PS - highly recommend downloading Blender, with Paint.net, and embarking on the adventures of A3 content creation (for free)! This community is always very helpful with any questions and problems you have. I know you're not aiming at releasing a fullscale Western mod here, but, nevertheless, give it a thought :D The more you learn, the more freedom you'll have to follow your imagination!

• Like 2

If I didn't have so much going on at the moment, I'd offer to lend a hand! :)

But yes, good luck on your endeavours - it does sound like an interesting project! As Pufu mentions, could be worth linking up with mod-makers? I'd recommend on focusing on the core mechanics first and really pouring your heart and soul into it - possibly aim small, work on one or two Western outfits, alongside a revolver and rifle - and really go for gold. Maybe even look for talent outside the Arma community too (Blender community, etc.) - but as you're probably well aware, you'll still need a solid foot in the Arma modding camp; there are quite a few tricks of the trade that are Arma-specific (I'm still learning many of them myself!). I think Pomigit and the Blue Harvest Interactive team were on the right track with their excellent SW mod - they started very small, and built up from there. Quality over quanitity - although, I may be wrong, as Lenin said, 'quantity has a quality of its own', lol!

PS - highly recommend downloading Blender, with Paint.net, and embarking on the adventures of A3 content creation (for free)! This community is always very helpful with any questions and problems you have. I know you're not aiming at releasing a fullscale Western mod here, but, nevertheless, give it a thought :D The more you learn, the more freedom you'll have to follow your imagination!

while that is understandable, there are quite a few people already interested (and quite a few threads( about this old west gameplay. Wouldn't it be easier to get together and create something from ground up then?

again, i meant no offense, i am well aware of the time it takes to create something from scratch and i have the utmost respect for people who are actually trying to do it.

Well, linking up with other players is very good idea, I think I could text them and see what do they think about it! Who knows, maybe global ArmA Western mod is not very far from us?

And yes, thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it, guys!  :)

PuFu: While of course making new assets from scratch will always give a better result, sometimes it is simply not within a person's realistic abilities or free time to do such a thing. The pictures shown-in my opinion- are perfectly fine, considering that this is a totally new concept for Arma and is unable to reuse or rely on anything that was made before. Also-getting a project past the concept stage with premade assets will likely encourage other skilled people to get involved and it can be overhauled later.

As you have been a member of this community for quite a long time, I would hope you know that comments like "the quality is astounding!/sarcasm"

are really not useful or appreciated when referring to someones work.

• Like 5

PuFu: While of course making new assets from scratch will always give a better result, sometimes it is simply not within a person's realistic abilities or free time to do such a thing. The pictures shown-in my opinion- are perfectly fine, considering that this is a totally new concept for Arma and is unable to reuse or rely on anything that was made before. Also-getting a project past the concept stage with premade assets will likely encourage other skilled people to get involved and it can be overhauled later.

As you have been a member of this community for quite a long time, I would hope you know that comments like "the quality is astounding!/sarcasm"

are really not useful or appreciated when referring to someones work.

1. while i do agree i was out of line and a jackass (which i am sorry for and edited my post), the point still stands: you can either put stuff from shady places (with the obvious downsides of possible rips, uneven meshes etc) together with some ductape for a quick game, or you invest more into it, no matter of the end result. hell, it might even be worse than some stuff you just grabbed from all over the place, BUT if doing it yourself doesn't provide enough joy for yourself, maybe you shouldn't do it at all...i mean unless you wanna start a half-asses server using half-asses content to fool some kids into paying you their parents earned money.

2. putting quality content up front will get more people interested...hell, not content, get something in that is not from another place done by someone else (i really hope this doesn't turn into facepunch mentality "hey, but i am not gaining anything out of it, so why do you get all furry i ripped some forza models?")

that being said, i'll drop out of it. we can agree to disagree. 

• Like 2

No,no- i actually do agree with you for the most part PuFu. Just maybe disagree with your..methods ;)

Isn't that now a bit to much offtopic? Discussing about using and creating addons is simply normal and ok, but in fact, it doesn't really fit in here. In my eyes you did just some spam in here, while i want to see some progress of the mission or some related discussions. I do follow this topic and its annoying to see such messages instead of related ones.

Could it be possible to create a bath house or something like that, were you have to get a bath from time to time or you get to dirty and sick? Could be an option to lose money ^^

• Like 2

Isn't that now a bit to much offtopic? Discussing about using and creating addons is simply normal and ok, but in fact, it doesn't really fit in here. In my eyes you did just some spam in here, while i want to see some progress of the mission or some related discussions. I do follow this topic and its annoying to see such messages instead of related ones.

Could it be possible to create a bath house or something like that, were you have to get a bath from time to time or you get to dirty and sick? Could be an option to lose money ^^

I like your idea. I wanted to create cabaret, but no girls with such beautiful outfits are here, sadly. For now there is a big saloon, where you can take a rest (sleep ables to skip 8 hours). 

And yeah, I've got something cool for you, guys, for the upcoming update! 

PnHMqnB5osA.jpg

• Like 1

I like your idea. I wanted to create cabaret, but no girls with such beautiful outfits are here, sadly. For now there is a big saloon, where you can take a rest (sleep ables to skip 8 hours). 

And yeah, I've got something cool for you, guys, for the upcoming update! 

PnHMqnB5osA.jpg

On topic, why is it that BIS does not have any women civilians like they did in Arma 2?

I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.

On topic, why is it that BIS does not have any women civilians like they did in Arma 2?

I don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.

I'm guessing they don't want to be bothered with modelling alternative clothes models for females, or record every audio line a second time.

• Like 2

Update! I'm proud to present you San Luis de Juárez!

San Luis de Juárez - the Mexican city, the biggest one out there, and the most dangerous for gringos  :n: 
There you can find the market - buy various things there! Also, there's a church and hostel! 
San Luis has it's own law system, run by general Abril Cortez, whose mansion you can see on these pictures down below!
Most of the people out there who live in the city are mexicans. 

https://imgur.com/a/7v4vS

• Like 9

Little update is here!

The Arroyo - really small Native American tribe. These guys live in a little forest, and are very similliar to these, that you've maybe seen in Fallout 2.
They are friendly to other people, but in war with outlaws. In the near future, I think, we can give them questine!

Ry1m0XmHVeI.jpg

• Like 7

cant believe i only found this out now! this is awesome man! especially the setting. i dont think anyone else has done this yet in  ArmA 3. pretty unique!

• Like 3

cant believe i only found this out now! this is awesome man! especially the setting. i dont think anyone else has done this yet in  ArmA 3. pretty unique!

Thank you, my friend! I really like IT, that you like THAT  :D

Now for some news

Recently, when I've played this map, I've started to realize that it's not big enough. You know, this Altis salt lake is really tiny, you can cross it in 10 minutes, and it's not cool! I think, it might be good if we'll find someone, who wants and who can create a new map and join our team(for all the people here, who asks me, why can't I do this -- it's my personal issues, e.g. lack of time and working on other projects)! But, I'll have to warn you. I don't rely on that project so much, it means I'm not expecting any profit from it, and we're (2 guys in our team, me and in005) not getting any money.  I don't think, that people really want to deal with that without payment, but if someone want to join us and create it for fun, then you're welcome!

Also, if you want to create something for our Western-style sandbox (mod, script etc.), joining our team -- text me and we'll think about it!

And as usual -- screenshots

Gold mine! It's an era of gold rush - right?

It's enterable location, where you can find yourself a little uncomfortable  :D 

It isn't too big, but isn't too small. There you can find some workers, who are here for all day. Some interesting loot is here too!

m7cvmt8iMoU.jpg

• Like 12

WOW, you really set your goals high! Looks like you try to create a complete and realism-oriented, feature-complete Wild West World, a true sandbox within the ARMA engine.  I bow before your great dedication and creative energy! Keep up your great work!

• Like 2

Looking great, Igor! I've been checking on this thread just about daily since you first posted it, very excited to see the finished product.

My question, have you considered moving your assets to the map "Desert" ported from Arma 2?

The map is essentially endless if you don't mind building beyond the map screen. I've been toying with my own western map since finding this thread, using the mods you've listed; though I've had little time to do so unfortunately. It's all very WIP.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8jvBy

Again, really looking forward to see what you come up with!  :)

• Like 5

Looking great, Igor! I've been checking on this thread just about daily since you first posted it, very excited to see the finished product.

My question, have you considered moving your assets to the map "Desert" ported from Arma 2?

The map is essentially endless if you don't mind building beyond the map screen. I've been toying with my own western map since finding this thread, using the mods you've listed; though I've had little time to do so unfortunately. It's all very WIP.

http://imgur.com/gallery/8jvBy

Again, really looking forward to see what you come up with!  :)

Looks nice! Can you send me the map mod in pm?

Looking forward to this!

Thank you! I'm doing my best  :) 

And as usual, some news!

I'm trying now to port Altis map to Desert map from A2 (CUP Terrains).

It's looking better, but could be harder because of it's terrain (not too flat). 

And ofc, screenshot!

Pk24FcJDkuo.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all! What a week! Got some news for you!
Played around mission and found out, that it's too laggy, will it be Altis or Desert. So today I've started doing something rather huge. 

Lads and gents, prepare to see Wild West map! 

xKJ3WwIL9Y8.jpg

An actual place is Navajo Lake State Park. It is located in New-Mexico. 

Find it here: https://goo.gl/maps/QvVKbHQLsHG2

• Like 5

At what point does a sp mission become a fully-fledged total modification?

This looks amazing!

• Like 3