soul_assassin

3dsmax - Substance Painter - Object Builder workflow tutorial

Hi guys,

I've made a short (relatively) video tutorial illustrating a max-SP-OB workflow that some of us at RHS use. It shows how to setup, bake, texture and export your object to OB in a manner that can speed up your workflow because you are able to go back and non-destructively make changes that will propogate. Hope you enjoy!

Actual SP work:

• Like 20

Awesome, many thanks, I was a fan of your video's for A2 and the tool for max , this is well worth downloading from one of the masters himself.

Thanks, really nice, going to check this out!

Very interesting, but I have great difficulty with the small font, probably the result of a great screen resolution?

Especially the part painter substance, including the use of different textures that you generate and use that is made later in Photoshop, to get the final texture.

I can follow, because I also use SP, but for someone who does not know, I think it will be more difficult.

That said very good workflow and highlighting the enormous possibilities of SP. :)

• Like 2

Very interesting, but I have great difficulty with the small font, probably the result of a great screen resolution?
Especially the part painter substance, including the use of different textures that you generate and use that is made later in Photoshop, to get the final texture.

I can follow, because I also use SP, but for someone who does not know, I think it will be more difficult.

That said very good workflow and highlighting the enormous possibilities of SP. :)

Yup this is unfortunately due to the resolution of my main working monitor. It is a good point and if I record anything else I will use the 1080p one.

I thank you especially since your "Substances Painter"  knowledge are always welcome,

The possibilities, especially when working on different channels, are fantastic. :)

I thank you especially since your "Substances Painter"  knowledge are always welcome,

The possibilities, especially when working on different channels, are fantastic. :)

Unfortunately my knowledge of SP is that great and im only really now starting to get a bit more handy after using it for a few projects at RHS (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183435-rhs-escalation-afrf-and-usaf/?p=3116053). I would make videos but there are far better tutes online that deal with actual USING SP in practice. My goal was purely to demonstrate how you can streamline the process and the important steps to consider.

• Like 2

Yup this is unfortunately due to the resolution of my main working monitor. It is a good point and if I record anything else I will use the 1080p one.

might also be because, at least for me, the max resolution of the video is 720p, while you are running a 4k monitor...

might also be because, at least for me, the max resolution of the video is 720p, while you are running a 4k monitor...

ah weird, must've recorded wrong :(

Again Really good video after i looked into it.

But i have one question could you post one pic with your export settings for all the maps ? Cant read it in the video because its to small ^^

Greets

Have a look here:

58616058b098ca7b5077b62798666c6b.png

co - Base Color (sometimes Diffuse, depending on which workflow you have been following)

as - Opacity, MixedAO, Opacity

nohq - normal directx

smdi - opacity, specular, glossiness

don't let this stop you there. You can easily use this system to paint for instance TI maps in a separate channel for instance. I can show how this can be done in a vid as well if people want.

• Like 6

You can easily use this system to paint for instance TI maps in a separate channel for instance. I can show how this can be done in a vid as well if people want.

That would be great!

co - Base Color (sometimes Diffuse, depending on which workflow you have been following)

as - Opacity, MixedAO, Opacity

nohq - normal directx

smdi - opacity, specular, glossiness

a couple of notes here:

the _as map can be RGB = mixed AO (when converting to paa, all other channels but green are discarded)

base color = albedo map (as far as i understand it)

diffuse = color map (more or less, still most _co in arma have some AO overlayed anyways)

;)