Sign in to follow this  
Clayman

Check if position is illuminated

Is there any way to find out if (and how much probably) a place is illuminated? checkVisibility seems to only check line of sight but is not affected by weather, fog or nighttime.

While it wouldn't be too difficult to check for any streetlamps in the area, it does become a bit tricky for anything more dynamic, like vehicles or soldiers with gunlights, firing flares etc.

So if anyone has an easier solution it would be appreciated.

I'd say the only way you could maybe check this is by looking at knowsAbout values of actual units.

I don't think there is any .... "nice" solution for that yet.

Would certainly be nice to have a command for it.

Thanks Tajin for the reply.
It seems knowsAbout has quite a strange behaviour in Arma 3. For all friendly infantry units it always returns 0, while for vehicles it appears to work normal. What's really weird is that every static object within viewdistance always returns a knowsAbout value of 4.

However, as I'm trying to make AI react to their dead buddies, this unfortunately doesn't help me very much. What works quite well is checkVisibility combined with eyePos and a distance check. It would just be nice to make the distance dependant on the lighting. Maybe I can come up with something not too complicated.