Sign in to follow this  
Sgt R. Nelson

Server Persistency Options

Hello, people of Bohemia Forums. 

I am looking to set up a server utilizing the Iron Front lite modpack, and the idea of some measure of persistency for various templates appeals to me. What I'm curious about, are what options are available for me to use, which ones are generally stable, and how high end a server I'd need to ensure such stability. 

1.) I know of ALiVE, and have used it in the past. It worked pretty well. However, I'm curious if there's other options other than ALiVE that would suit my purposes for a "living" template. What I'd like, is the map to have basically three areas. The first, is the known cleared areas. Places that are safe. The second, would be zones that may or may not be contested with enemy presence. The third, would be known enemy locations and such. I would also like such enemy forces to flex in strength and armament, in regards to how many players are in the prescribed area. If three or four people want to conduct a foot patrol, having them run into a platoon of German Panther tanks, is not ideal. 

If we bring in a plane, the enemy brings in a plane. We bring tanks, they bring tanks, etc. I'd like some measure of fair play with what spawns. 

Overall, how feasible is this idea? Am I better served with a script that spawns in missions at random, with different objectives?

2.) What options are out there that allow for a persistent kind of template? I know just enough to get confused. If any of you might share what you've used in the past, or seen used, or currently utilize, and just point me in that direction, I'd be happy to research them on my own.

3.) I imagine any form of persistence would be rather taxing on a server. If this were left on continually--with regular restarts--would any ol' server box do? Or, to ensure good frames and reliable and reactionary AI, with such a persistent template in mind, would I need to purchase a higher-end server? I fear my knowledge on that end of things, of Arma, is pretty lacking. 

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read, and pointed me in any direction of useful. 

Hi Nelson,

second try so please excuse the short description.

Arma internal.

profileNamespace

saveProfileNamespace

The server has a profile too.

Extensions

simple, write to file

KillzoneKids file extension, write stuff to a file.

Read stuff through  loadFile or preprocessFile or preprocessFilelineNumbers

makefile_dll

DataBase

extDB (1,2,3)

One and Two are outdated and Torndeco doesen't support them anymore.

One and Two were used by Altis Life, King of the Hill, and Exile.

Curent AL uses version 3, but i'm basically not up to date.

Had okish documentation, better then nothing.

Ton of AL help threads if you have problems.

Has other features.

ExtDB1 Fork

ExtDB2 Fork Saved from the Flames.

ExtDB3 original, up to date, documented.

Arma2net 

Outdated to be honest.

EasyDataBase

No experience with, just found it on Github.

Those are all that i could think of or find in a few minutes.

Hope that helped!

Sincerely Rage

extDB = can crash badly ;)

extDB2 = has some issues, but nothing to serious. Just really lacking on some DB Datatypes Support and error checking for the config files.
extDB3 = is prob the best and really not much work to convert from extDB2 implementations.

Note: with extDB1/2/3 there are multiple ways to implement it. So knowledge of SQL + SQF is really recommended.
Realistically extDB2/3 are very similar sqf wise.
Recommend you have a look @ exile or https://github.com/MrEliasen/Supremacy-Frameworkon how to implement it.

Other possible extensions are:
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/173743-stats-server-and-client-api-with-support-for-sql-and-nosql-databases/ 
This is alot more user friendly last time i looked, and should still work.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/141462-inidb-save-and-load-data-to-the-server-or-your-local-computer-without-databases/