Incontinentia

Incontinentia's Effects Mod - more realistic hit effects and more

INCON EFFECTS MOD

Inspired by the legendary Opticalsnare's hilarious Blastcore Physics and Lao Fei Mao's cool Blood Mist mods, here's my take on Arma 3's effects. Rather than go for comedic effect, I figured I'd aim for a bit more realism.

So far I've focused on 3 things: 

Ragdoll Physics

In vanilla, it's pretty limited. This aims to give people a bit more of a chance of getting airborne if there's an explosion nearby. Unfortunately, most explosions have similar physics power so to give a GBU the right level of floaty people would mean making grenades look ridiculous. I've tried to strike a balance. 
Key difference vs vanilla: Bodies respond more to explosions and (every so slightly) more to weapon impacts. 

Muzzle Flash

In vanilla, when a soldier shoots, the area around his weapon is lit up for longer than there is actually fire coming from the barrel of the weapon. This was always a bit of a pet peeve of mine from when I first started playing Arma and looks silly in my opinion. I've tried to shorten the ambient light of muzzle flashes so they synchronise with the duration of the muzzle flash itself, giving a kind of strobe effect at night. It should work on modded weapons as long as they inherit from a base weapon class. 

Key difference vs vanilla: Ambient light from muzzle flashes doesn't last longer than the muzzle flash itself. 

Blood Mist / Hit Effects

When a bullet hits a body, it generally doesn't look like someone's been slapped with a handful of red chalk. "Pink mist" is often quite a subtle, short-lived affair. It also doesn't float around the body, instead shooting at speed out of the exit wound and possibly being blown away if there's wind. It will scale with caliber too; large caliber weapons will chuck out a fair bit of mist, smaller caliber weapons like pistols may not. This isn't finished and is still open to suggestions (please don't post any pictures or videos of people getting shot), but I've tried to get this as close as I can to reality. I suggest combining with Zooloo's Bloodlust for better realism. 

Key differences from vanilla:

1. Blood mist comes out of exit wounds rather than sitting around the entry wound

2. Blood mist size, colour and transparency has been tweaked to be more realistic (less of a bright red explosion and more like a fine mist)

3. Blood mist moves at speed in the direction of the bullet (as opposed to floating statically in the air)

4. Blood mist can be affected by wind, vanilla blood mist cannot

Notes

This should all work clientside and I've included a key for servers (if in doubt, remove the physx PBO). Effects are split into different obviously named PBOs so you can pick and choose which you would prefer. If using Steam, just make a local copy of the mod on your hard drive and delete any unwanted effects in the @InconEffects\addons folder. 

Mod compatibility:
Should be compatible with most mods (depending on whether config values are inherited from vanilla) but won't cause any problems if not. Any known incompatibilities will be listed as people let me know. 

Zooloo75's BloodLust: To get the blood mist working with Zooloo75's BloodLust mod, set "BloodLust_IsBloodSprayEnabled" to false in the BloodLust settings menu. 

Blastcore Pheonix (and variations of): To use with Blastcore, move "blastcoreCompat.PBO" from the optionals folder to the addons folder. This will overwrite Blastcore's blood effects with those from this mod. 

ASR AI: Apparently there's an incompatibility with the physx and ASR's wounded crawling feature. If you notice any glitches, removing the physx.pbo file from addons should solve this unless you'd prefer to disable the effect in ASR. 

Thoughts, suggestions and wildly uncontrolled praise are all welcome. 

License

Not for profit. Everything else is fine though. 

Changelog

V1.1: Separated mod into 3 standalone PBOs so users can choose which effects to use (thanks for the suggestion Evil Organ!)

V1.101:  Added missing server key

V1.2: Blood effect tweaks (less uniform), ragdoll joints added (less floppy knees), Blastcore Pheonix compatibility PBO added (in optional folder - experimental)

V1.3: Minor edit to fix characters leaping up when shot

Download Links

Steam

Mediafire

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Ooh nice :) Looks great.Thanks. Any idea if it will work okay while using Ace, which also has hit reactions?

Sweet! I will try this for sure.

Are the ragdolls MP compatible? I know the TPW_Fall mod from TPW mods does a similar thing but isn't usable in MP, hence the question.

Also, can I run it alongside Blastcore? 

• Like 1

Ooh nice :) Looks great.Thanks. Any idea if it will work okay while using Ace, which also has hit reactions?

As far as I can tell, it works absolutely fine as it's not so much hit reactions as a tweaked bullet spray effect. I've been using it with Ace for a couple of weeks with no issues!

• Like 1

Sweet! I will try this for sure.

Are the ragdolls MP compatible? I know the TPW_Fall mod from TPW mods does a similar thing but isn't usable in MP, hence the question.

Also, can I run it alongside Blastcore? 

Yup, it will run alongside Blastcore. There's no scripting, it's just config changes. I've been running it clientside on a dedicated server and it all seems to work as intended. 

As far as I can tell, it works absolutely fine as it's not so much hit reactions as a tweaked bullet spray effect. I've been using it with Ace for a couple of weeks with no issues!

Great to hear. I am being forced to take a break from Arma to play other games...but once I'm back i will try this out! ;)

• Like 1

Nice little collection, thanks for sharing!.....could be useful to have them as separate pbo's for a more tailored experience. 

• Like 3

Nice little collection, thanks for sharing!.....could be useful to have them as separate pbo's for a more tailored experience. 

Good suggestion dude! Download link has been updated to v1.1 with different pbo's for each effect. 

• Like 2

Nice! Will we see you expand into other areas such as visual smoke/explosions effects? And also will there be a sample video?

• Like 1

I doubt it; so far I'm just editing configs to make sure it keeps wide compatibility, plus particle effects are a bit beyond me. Blastcore and it's updated variants do a much better job than I could on that front anyway. I may add some extra things if there are ways to do it by tweaking config values. 

As for the video, I'm not much of a youtuber. I'll maybe add a Vimeo demo at some point but am currently working on another mod. 

Thanks for this, interesting change on the ragdoll stuff, did a short video showing apers mine, LGB and a grenade at the end, cheers.

• Like 5

Amazing, thank you Jeza! I'm in the slow process of trying to get a little video of my own but failing miserably at trying to score decent free video editing software...

Jeza & Incontinentia: great videos but any chance of a side-by-side comparison of Before and After?

Because that would make it easier to compare these subtle improvements.

The whole beauty of your mod is that it dials back the Michael Bay physics that certain other mods tend to suffer from (spectacular but unrealistic).

Also any chance that this could be uploaded to Steam?

Jeza & Incontinentia: great videos but any chance of a side-by-side comparison of Before and After?

Because that would make it easier to compare these subtle improvements.

The whole beauty of your mod is that it dials back the Michael Bay physics that certain other mods tend to suffer from (spectacular but unrealistic).

Also any chance that this could be uploaded to Steam?

It's pretty close to side by side? The clips of vanilla vs my mod are right next to each other? 

Edit: re steam, I'll get on that today hopefully. 

Thanks for the comparison videos guys. Really like this mod - deffo a keeper for me.

One minor thing I noticed with the blood mist is that in addition to the blood there is always a single 'piece' of something that flies off the body when it is hit. You can see this in Incontinentia's video. Is it possible to randomise this somehow so it isn't always the same?

• Like 1

I haven't actually modified bits that fly off people so that effect is (as far as I can tell) there with vanilla too. Because the blood mist is toned down, that might make it more obvious though. That said, I will definitely have a look and see if there's a way to add a bit more randomness into the effect. 

Also, I've uploaded it to steam! 

Subscribe here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793892440

• Like 3

I haven't actually modified bits that fly off people so that effect is (as far as I can tell) there with vanilla too. Because the blood mist is toned down, that might make it more obvious though. That said, I will definitely have a look and see if there's a way to add a bit more randomness into the effect. 

Also, I've uploaded it to steam! 

Subscribe here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793892440

Awesome that was quick!

Incidentally, I noticed that the first comment on steam asked for "More screenshots pls". So perhaps you could simply link to your video? Maybe even Jeza's video?

BTW how does Steam handle composite mods?

Doesn't it get upset if users start changing the contents of their mods? e.g. moving pbos out of the addons folder to disable them

• Like 1

Good spot - thanks for the heads up. Not sure it handles composite mods too well but I think you can create a local copy in your mod folder and do whatever you want to that. 

Now to find the giblet parameter....

• Like 1

BTW how does Steam handle composite mods?

Doesn't it get upset if users start changing the contents of their mods? e.g. moving pbos out of the addons folder to disable them

You can move them, but when a new version comes out, you'll have to move them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A subtle but enjoyably realistic effect, thank you :) Arma 3 continues to become more realistic, one mod at a time!

• Like 4

Hi guys, to those of you who are using this on a server, please download the latest version of the mod from mediafire for your missing server keys! (Sorry!)