almanzo

Feedback Thread

Any chance the devs makeit possible to make this game pull assets from Arma instead of a 14gig download?

Also thought that. Maybe they will do something about it before the release.

Found again the one shot killer.... he kills 4 enemies in sequence... just next to Main.... how funny...  really entertaining

Pulling assets negates the fact this is a free game.

How can it be a free prototype if it depends upon an ArmA III purchase?

I think this is a good Idea and would support it if you stuck with the default Arma 3 controls and views. There is a great number of Arma players that would love to be able to quickly get in a fire fight with out having to fall in line, travel 10+ kilometers or load mods to get it done. If I where you I would capitalize on what make your game great an the controls views zooms that all need to be in play. I would be a nice way for players to experience some of the great Infantry combat that the game harnesses without having to deal with the full Apex of the engine. This could be a great expansion just keep it real like what your core would enroll with. Other than that I could can find many other 5vs5 shooters that feel that very way. More game play  More depth simpler Environment.

Thanks for your time

Shallowfoot

P.S.

I will play this game mode and I sure many others will too if the default Arma 3 controls are implemented. If not I would not be interested game mode. :blink:  :ph34r: Stick with core thanks.

I think the reason it probably doesn't is it allows them to modify the engine and files much easier than if they're constantly going "oh do we need to fork off this part because it's no longer the same as in A3?".

General comments:

Please make all the servers persistent game modes. Just reading the replies by people saying Link is their favorite mode and they don't play anything else has made me realize a lot of us have VERY different ideas as to what the best game modes are (I personally don't like Link but love the other 2).

I'd love to be able to play Clash endlessly, but all the servers with people on them just play 1 game of it, then it switches to Link and magically the server becomes depopulated.

Also, I can see the logic in simplifying the movement system for new players, but I personally loved me some not-sprinting not-combat pace Goldilocks jog speed, so could we have it enabled, but it being unbound by default? I can't imagine any new players using it anyway if it was there as it'd be by far the least used speed because of the size of the combat zones, but it's nice to be there for the better players.

Clash comments:

Project Argo seems to really shine (in my opinion) the most with the mid range engagements (50-100 m) and in the areas with the highest variance in terrain style and elevation. My favorite point to attack or defend right now is hands down Echo, because of this.

I have a shitty map I made that shows where so far are my fun and meh places to fight on the current clash location:

8bHT9km.jpg

With green being fun and red being meh. You may have noticed a general theme.

This is also the reason I really don't like Link, because everything is short range spraying running through the same flat town over and over, with little actual planning or tactical consideration.

I just really hope that one day we also get to see Project Argo on Tanoa, because I can think up many areas that would be perfect for Clash.

I'd be interested as well in seeing some longer range engagement areas, more towards 200-300 m, or forest fights, but I don't know if that'd just devolve to a sniping competition.

• Like 3

hi, i installed project Argo.But when im starting the game i wont start.nothing happens.only showing in the task manager process.can u please give me a solution?.

thank you

Hi, please try updating drivers on your graphic card, if that does not help, could you send your PC specs? It's possible you can't run the game because you are below the needed requirements. 

Thanks! :)

Any chance the devs makeit possible to make this game pull assets from Arma instead of a 14gig download?

Hello!

Project Argo is a free prototype stand alone game and as that it can't be dependent on Arma 3 being purchased.

Hello!

Project Argo is a free prototype stand alone game and as that it can't be dependent on Arma 3 being purchased.

But there are Curator, Kart, Helicopters files, maybe even Altis and Stratis files, while they're not used in-game. Removing these unused files will reduce the size of the game without removing content. (if you don't plan to use them latter, of course).

There has been a lot of discussion about damage, so I'd like to share a few details to clarify. A headshot should be a kill under almost any circumstance – that is a way how even the weakest weapons have an opportunity to shine. Hits to arms and legs hurt, but it takes a bunch of bullets to actually kill someone this way. The balancing is centred around the body, with the impact of vests in mind. Long story short, if we're talking any combination of a gun/ammo and a vest, it takes 1–5 bullets to kill a guy. In reality, this may work/feel differently. The bullet simulation in Arma is quite complex; for example, if a bullet passes through an arm into a body and then flies out, the actual damage is quite different (lower) then when the bullet hits the body directly and stays inside. Also, quite often players feel they hit with more bullets then they actually did – we've been trying to improve the hit feedback to change this.

Please keep in mind we're at the beginning of the open prototype and there is a lot of tweaking to be done. This also applies to grenades, which are even trickier to balance due to the nature of hit points and indirect damage interaction in Arma. In other words, there is a very thin line between OP and useless here, not mentioning the feel is very dependant on one's skill. We carefully watch how weapons and players with them perform, so together with your feedback, we can find the right balance. That balance is in firefights which are fast, exciting, but fair. We want you to have time to react and return fire when you're being shoot at, but that time window should be reasonably small. We definitely understand you might feel the damage is a bit too low in some situations, so we'll look onto various ways of how to improve that.

Thank you again for your feedback! Now go set up a link or something, will ya? ;)

• Like 7

On grenades, since this is presumably going to be far better optimized and involve far fewer explosions than regular Arma, what would be the chance of seeing a shrapnel system in place? Shrapnel is both a far more realistic representation of how the majority of damage by grenades is done, and a far more interesting thing to play around, as it allows for much more of a LOS style concern from grenades, which in my opinion is how you should fear them, and naturally allows their effectiveness to vary with factors like contained spaces in a way that's easily understandable to the player (because they can actually see the shrapnel bouncing around and hitting the walls) than any kind of function to increase explosion power based on containment.

Plus it's just really cool and feels scarier, and I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't included in vanilla Arma because of performance concerns from the inevitable Pawnee rocket dumps and piles of satchel charges people would make to break the engine.

Hi all,

Straight to it:

Good: 

- Premise:  The actual idea behind basically, a larger scale counterstrike/R6/more tactical battlefield is awesome, big fan.

- Gamemodes: gamemodes are a bit unique, giving a different feel to the way the game plays

- Decent team voice chat quality.

-  The stance system (ctrl + wasd) IS AWESOME. haven't seen anything like it before and it's great.

Bad/could be improved:

- Networking/netcode/whatever it needs to be: Too many times do targets stop moving while you're shooting them and suddenly teleport behind cover (I doubt it's lag because I haven't seen anyone with more than 100 ping yet) 

- Performance: While the game is beautiful, and my computer isn't the best, (i5-2320, GTX960) I have resorted to 720p on lower settings just to get above 60fps.

- Controls:  Having played arma 2 and seen arma 3, the style of control is obvious, focusing on slower actioning and moving with purpose, point to point, which is fine in a large scale battle in chernarus, but when aiming for competitive, I feel the controls need to be much snappier and more responsive. This could also mean more agility, perhaps maybe working together to move over a wall (giving a leg up) 

- Ping (T) could be more obvious to see on map, often blends in and no inicator as to direction if not facing it.

Otherwise, great game, and I look forward to how it grows and develops :)

• Like 3

There has been a lot of discussion about damage, so I'd like to share a few details to clarify. A headshot should be a kill under almost any circumstance – that is a way how even the weakest weapons have an opportunity to shine. Hits to arms and legs hurt, but it takes a bunch of bullets to actually kill someone this way. The balancing is centred around the body, with the impact of vests in mind. Long story short, if we're talking any combination of a gun/ammo and a vest, it takes 1–5 bullets to kill a guy. In reality, this may work/feel differently. The bullet simulation in Arma is quite complex; for example, if a bullet passes through an arm into a body and then flies out, the actual damage is quite different (lower) then when the bullet hits the body directly and stays inside. Also, quite often players feel they hit with more bullets then they actually did – we've been trying to improve the hit feedback to change this.

Please keep in mind we're at the beginning of the open prototype and there is a lot of tweaking to be done. This also applies to grenades, which are even trickier to balance due to the nature of hit points and indirect damage interaction in Arma. In other words, there is a very thin line between OP and useless here, not mentioning the feel is very dependant on one's skill. We carefully watch how weapons and players with them perform, so together with your feedback, we can find the right balance. That balance is in firefights which are fast, exciting, but fair. We want you to have time to react and return fire when you're being shoot at, but that time window should be reasonably small. We definitely understand you might feel the damage is a bit too low in some situations, so we'll look onto various ways of how to improve that.

Thank you again for your feedback! Now go set up a link or something, will ya? ;)

Alright, I assume you tried having health as in Arma and it didn't go well. :) But at this time, when you are shooting somebody in the chest, he has so much time he just carefully aim for your head and doesn't bother with your fire. I think this time window is unreasonable large at the moment...  <_<

• Like 1

I've just read the latest SITREP and I must say that I'm confused as to the point of Project ARGO.  More disturbingly, the comment 'some of the improvements may never make it to Arma3' left me thinking as to why I would want to download this, or even support it.

Now I'm a total BIS fanboi and have been for many many years, but I'm just not getting the point here.

In short : let devs try things with a competitive game, in order to be able to work on a more complete one is the future.

Some things from Arma were changed in Argo in a way which doesn't fit devs' vision of Arma. For this reason, some Argo changes will not be pushed to Arma.

So after having played with a few new players with zero Arma experience, I've gathered what is probably one of their biggest confusions, one that often leads them to the impression that the game is buggy and the handling laggy, and that's not understanding the stamina system, weight, and weapon handling.

It also leads some to assume that the rifleman classes are just useless, because they have less firepower.

I would suggest 3 simple bits of information to add, the first being a stamina bar like in Arma 3, and the other two just being a bar next to the class selects showing weight and weapon handling. I think adding these would go a long way to training new players by pointing out that these mechanics exist, and that when you try to do CQB with your sniper, it being unresponsive is deliberate.

The following comic sums up, albeit for a different game mode, the kind of mentality I'd hope to avoid in new players by hammering home the importance of weight and maneuverability,

9p4yyjz2d5jx.jpg

• Like 7

My take on Project Argo.

Project Argo in its current state is far from a competitive shooter and here are some of the reasons why. 

Movement:

First the movement, you feel like you are stuck in mud with clumsy movement and fatigue. Fatigue has no place in a competitive shooter instead they should make it so each class/loadout have different speeds, like the heavy machine gunner class should be slower overall than the other classes in the game. This includes switching weapons, reloading, running etc.

You can't jump! Jumping has been heavily debated in comp shooters and has taken years for other shooters to get it right like Counter Strike.  Argo needs a jump function, nothing too crazy like Quake live but we need to be able to jump over obstacles.

Controls:

The controls are way to complicated for a competitive shooter, too many stances and controls that have been adopted from Arma 3. Arma 3 is a military simulator the total opposite to a FPS competitive shooter, the controls need a total re-work.

Map:

The map needs a total re-work too. I could go on for hours about this because the maps in its current state is terrible for a comp shooter. Way too many hiding places, if people can hide in every house, bush and obstacle on the map then you are taking skill out of the game because its not very hard to just camp in a bush. Overall the map needs to be more tidy.

The map objects are terrible atm, you get stuck on everything, clipping into objects and walls only to find yourself stuck spamming prone and crouch to get yourself free . Some objects around the map it looks like you can shoot over them only to find out when you shoot that your bullets are hitting an invisible wall when trying to shoot over objects. 

Animations:

Comp shooters don't need slow fancy animations when switching weapons and changing stances. We need fast smooth animations for movement and weapon switching.

Sound:

Sound system again has been adopted from Arma 3, gun sounds are so loud compered to movement sounds. You turn your game sound up to hear movement from other players only to find that you go def because weapons sounds are incredibly loud.

Scoreboard:

Either have a scoreboard or remove it. Getting a penalty in-game for checking the scoreboard to often is absurd. I check the scoreboard to see how many players are still alive not to check my KD. 

Health bar:

Can we get a health bar like most other comp shooters? Hearing huffing and puffing because your hurt is just annoying.

Game engine:

Get a new one. The Arma 3 engine is again made for a mil sim game where fps drops, lag, hit detection and desync don't really matter. Its does matter when playing a comp FPS game, its like playing soccer with an oval ball... Remember this is what killed the comp scene in battlefield along with slow fancy animations.

The Scene:

To get good feedback for this game you need to get comp FPS players from other comp shooters to try the game out and give feedback. This does not include players like Frankieonapc and players like that, Im talking about real pro players that actually compete in FPS games.

There is no comp scene in Arma and I see its Arma players that are playing Argo and giving feedback. Invite pro teams from other games to test and help develop Argo. 

ATM Argo feels like a mil sim game with comp FPS game modes. Its slow clumsy game play with lag, desync, poor hit detection, too many bad habits its picked up from the Arma 3 engine and mil sim type game play. Don't get me wrong tho this game has potential to be a great comp FPS game but needs a lot of work.

• Like 2

I am curious if you plan to allow 3rd person function. I love the ArmA series and is one of only a few "shooters" that I can play due to a medical condition that I am unable to play 1st person games. Also will you be implementing night cycle?

I am curious if you plan to allow 3rd person function. I love the ArmA series and is one of only a few "shooters" that I can play due to a medical condition that I am unable to play 1st person games. Also will you be implementing night cycle?

Night cycle on 15~30 minutes of gameplay? Probably not "cycle", but scenarios at different time of the day could be interesting. And everybody loves night missions.