almanzo

Feedback Thread

I think they're trying to get players who enjoy the sorta middle ground between games like ARMA and Battlefield (like Insurgency). I only played around with ARMA 2 abit and that was mostly just in the scenario edit but I can say I didn't have much trouble picking up the game that could just be from experience from other games though.

I do feel like one of the main problems Argo might face is performance. I think that's what really helped games like CSGO set off (Low bar of entry, doesn't cost much, almost anyone can run it) but we all know that ARMA hasn't really ever been known for it's smooth performance.

I also thought that.

I can see Project Argo been used as test bed for new graphic enhancements and other game enhancements which may get pushed into regular Arma3. By this i mean, i would like to the new enfusion game engine that BIS are developing implemented into Project Argo.

• Like 1

I keep seeing Argo, just as a few others have said, a great way to test different things that could be pushed into ArmA 3, that is, until they switch to their own platform.

I would be shocked if some of the better game modes they are testing, are not added into the Tac-Ops DLC later next year.

• Like 1

For the most part it is A3 with its own server browser, plus a way to tweak gameplay via configs and maybe to a small extent via engine changes.

Sadly both what BI has denied community mission designers for years.

There are so many high quality game modes made by very experienced PvP players, yet one cannot compete vs the high population servers (Survival, Life, KOTH, Wasteland).

For the most part it is A3 with its own server browser, plus a way to tweak gameplay via configs and maybe to a small extent via engine changes.

Sadly both what BI has denied community mission designers for years.

There are so many high quality game modes made by very experienced PvP players, yet one cannot compete vs the high population servers (Survival, Life, KOTH, Wasteland).

i understand you reasoning behind your post, but why do you need to be so negative?

How about?

• The organized and competitive PvP scene is basically extinct since A3 (beta) after a long and painful downwards spiral (while in OFP it was >50% of players and servers in MP)
  • BI didn't care or bother (despite many many attempts from the community and modding side)
  • BI lost out of a lot of potential (sales) (as seen by the successful competitors out there)

Without the sheer luck of DayZ, the popularity of DayZ standalone, other survival and LIFE mods, as well as the massive push by streamers, Arma might no longer exist or would be in very troubled waters.

Please, please, please for the love of everything that is beautiful in this world do not implement an upgrade system and rank system. Keep it competative, keep the level playing field. Don't make this into another battlefield, we don't need that.

• Like 2

After watching Incubator video again, I've noticed that Argo is mainly to "learn more about competitive multiplayer game design". So, if Argo is only to learn that and then create a full, new standalone game, and improve Arma by the way, that's all good. However, the questions that I was asking remain if Argo is supposed to have a long future in front of it, and if it's supposed to be a paid and famous game. And I think that it's how a part of the community understand it, when I read comments under the video.

Really boring thing :

- look for a server

- find a server

- connect to the server

- wait... wait.. wait...

- connected to the server

- the match ended immediately

- all players leave the server

- repeat

Is it possible to know if a match is about to end, or remove servers from the list if their mission is about to end? Or maybe prevent people from joining a server if a match has begun?

• Timer is unforgiving, very short rounds, especially on Link, if this goes live, i do not see many people opting for Link

I think as you have respawns, lengthening this game mode would be beneficial.

• Survival objective mode, longer timer, if any, wipe out the enemy team to win.

• Party system is needed, i don't really know how you would implement this in the current engine, but it needs to be implemented for friends playing and to counteract cheating
  • 10 man servers will fill up quickly, and all it takes is one player to switch sides to push all the other premade teams into another server before it starts, exploitable.

• Airdrop setting the timer to 60s is difficult, most of the time, the airdrop will land by the defenders while they are dug in, and to make an opposing team to push in on an embedded force with that timer, its pretty one sided.

• Clearer tagging system, allow possibly a dial for overlayed commands  (*enemy spotted here, flank left/right etc*) as you play with randoms and people who do not speak your language, this would make tactics more viable

• Rename Side/Global/Direct to Squad/Server/Nearby, people who play Arma know what each do, but many people who come from the shooter side will be talking in the green chat assuming friendly.

• Flashbangs, flashbangs, flashbangs...

Overall, enjoying it a lot, would love to see this go live and with the full array of Arma weaponry

EDIT:- As I've been playing more, i take back my line about Link, it's well paced and rounds can last a good time, i must have had a bad first impression as we seemed to steamroll the objective and win almost instantly every time.

Edited by Danny Delusion
  • Like 2

After watching Incubator video again, I've noticed that Argo is mainly to "learn more about competitive multiplayer game design". So, if Argo is only to learn that and then create a full, new standalone game, and improve Arma by the way, that's all good. However, the questions that I was asking remain if Argo is supposed to have a long future in front of it, and if it's supposed to be a paid and famous game. And I think that it's how a part of the community understand it, when I read comments under the video.

When we talk about the future price. If it will be paid or for free... I'm afraid that paid game would be very unsuccesful. There are plenty of (good) FPS games that are free and if Argo wants keep up with them, Argo should be free.

• Timer is unforgiving, very short rounds, especially on Link, if this goes live, i do not see many people opting for Link

I think as you have respawns, lengthening this game mode would be beneficial.

• Survival objective mode, longer timer, if any, wipe out the enemy team to win.

• Party system is needed, i don't really know how you would implement this in the current engine, but it needs to be implemented for friends playing and to counteract cheating
  • 10 man servers will fill up quickly, and all it takes is one player to switch sides to push all the other premade teams into another server before it starts, exploitable.

• Airdrop setting the timer to 60s is difficult, most of the time, the airdrop will land by the defenders while they are dug in, and to make an opposing team to push in on an embedded force with that timer, its pretty one sided.

• Clearer tagging system, allow possibly a dial for overlayed commands  (*enemy spotted here, flank left/right etc*) as you play with randoms and people who do not speak your language, this would make tactics more viable

• Rename Side/Global/Direct to Squad/Server/Nearby, people who play Arma know what each do, but many people who come from the shooter side will be talking in the green chat assuming friendly.

• Flashbangs, flashbangs, flashbangs...

Good points. However I disagree with the first one. Most of my Link games lasts about 30 minutes. It depends. If you have much better/worse team than opponent, then you win/lose in 5 minutes.

I think there are many poeple who will and who won't like Link. Many poeple like strong strategy play and/or don't mind time. Many poeple rather enjoy fast deathmatch or shorter rounds.

• Like 1

When we talk about the future price. If it will be paid or for free... I'm afraid that paid game would be very unsuccesful. There are plenty of (good) FPS games that are free and if Argo wants keep up with them, Argo should be free.

But free games are often with micro-transactions, and I'm not sure that it would fit with BIS', uh, philosophy.

Aside of this, I just read PA FAQ and I saw this :

With Project Argo specifically, we want to test some competitive multiplayer game mechanics, and improve the competitive aspect of Arma and other Bohemia games. Ultimately, the much longer-term aim of this project is to develop a similar (most likely Arma-related) multi-platform game on a different engine.

Does it means that Project Argo is not planned to be released, and in the end the final product will be very different of what we have now?

And who would want a multi-platform Arma-related game?

Game Mode Idea

A new game mode like Clash, but more like Battlefield Conquest mode.
Where you and the enemy have to take and hold multiple objectives/zones around the map, that are linked like Clash's spiderweb of connections.
There could be respawns, but only if the objective/zone is connected to your home base, so the enemy could disrupt reinforcements to the front line areas by cutting the connections to the objective/zone.

The aim would be to control the map, by seizing the enemy base or eliminating the entire opposition (respawn tickets).
This game mode would likely require larger numbers, something like 10v10 (maybe 2x Squad of 5, separate radio option)

Game Features to be Fixed/Added (IMO)

• Quicker Time to Kill and Suppression effects, maybe include revive system on some game modes

• Grenades need to be buffed or removed, 40mm rifle smoke grenades would be nice for marking ? bit redundant with ping ability though. 

• Tactical Callout 'wheel' (like Insurgency) would be nice (Eg. Enemy Spotted , Need Help, Take Objective (insert where looking), etc)

• Some Oceania Servers would be appreciated 

• Server lobby wait times need to be reduced, random assign slow people to teams after like 20 seconds and go

• Party System of some sort, to keep players together

• Maybe have an injury system, like get shot in the leg and you limp until fixed by medic or something (not 100% sure about this one)

• Maybe have Artillery or Airstrikes on larger game modes, through airdrops or something (not 100% on this either, have to be limited in availability and effect).

Just some ideas, the last two may be a bit much in the actual game, but might be interesting to try.

• Like 2

After playing for a few more hours I'm really getting annoyed by the players' tougness. It needs to connect about half a mag to kill players. It's much easier to spray and pray for a head. Suppression doesn't work at all. Not to mention grenades are useless at the moment.

Imho fixing health should be priority number one.

• Like 3

For the competitive aspect and if you don't mind going further from Arma, you may want to disable echo, as it make it sometimes hard to localize enemies. Fatigue can also be an issue in some cases, but again it depend on Devs point of view.

Some classes may also need to be rework. There is not that much difference between rifleman and grenadier, marksman and scout... It could be nice to give them a specific feature/tool (such as rangefinder/binocular), or to add other kinds of weapons, for now there is no SMG (Vermin/Sting from Arma).

Aside of this, I noticed that some behaviour have quickly developed, such as camping in buildings near M in Link rather than attacking it, or running around a flag to capture it when the last defender is a sniper in Clash. Not an issue, but interesting to see.

I have been playing quite a bit and so far I like it, despite a number of flaws.

- Link is my favourite gamemode, with very quick rounds and respawn. Geat for when you only have half an hour time to play.

- Clash is also ok, although it can be boring to be in spectator for several minutes after being fragged. I seldom have much time to play videogames at all, and so having to spectate is not my favourite. But I am getting into Clash gamemoderecently.

- Arma engine is not really suitable for these gametypes. Wobbly handling, bad framerates, strange hit-detection.

- Loadouts of classes/weapons are good

- map is good, also the scenarios are good.

- no revive is good, no medics or stuff needed for these gamemodes

- I love the speed of the games. Not the weird and almost comical speed like in BF or the modern COD games, but a reasonable and realistic speed like in CS:GO.

- easy to see who your teammates are by having the marker above their heads like in KOTH.

- First person only. Yeah !. One of the reasons I stopped playing Arma is the very little few gamemodes that have First Person only and actually have full servers and don't need mods.

- no levelling up or any such nonsense. I just wanna play for the game itself, not to get any stupid equipment, like in other modern shooter-games. So please keep it this way.

some things needed imo:

- teamkillers must be banned for several days after getting like 3 TKs.

- ability to vote-kick players. Sometimes people are afk and that hurts with only 5 teammembers.

- feedback if you actually hit a player or not.

- iron-sight without zoom...it always zooms in when iron sighting...not so cool at times.

- POV slider !

I will surely keep playing this from time to time and will keep posting videos on my channel. It's fun so far, yet far from perfect. But I just love the Arma-like feeling, the weapons, the speed, the no bullshit-approach.

• Like 1

Some classes may also need to be rework.

- Loadouts of classes/weapons are good

Good luck :3

Aside of this, I don't think that a FOV slider would be a good thing. For a competitive game, it's important that only skill matters and that nothing else gives advantage. That's why good perfs are important, but that's also why FOV shouldn't be modified. I also approve the fact that levelling/ unlocking stuff is not a good thing (still related to "only skill matters"). However, a ranking system to be able to play with people as the same level as you can be welcome, but I think that it's already planned.

Really boring to have to use 15 bullets from behind a guy, all over his upper body just to kill him....    and yet, there are some guys killing with one shot in every situation, no matter if close combat, in the middle of total chaos, with everyone shooting in all directions in tight group, etc...  looks like hacked to me...

• Like 2

I've downloaded the game, installed the game and played a few rounds.
Here's my feedback, I hope it's helpful! :)

5 v 5 -> It's nice and quite an interesting change of pace but I'd like to see 10 v 10 as well.

Only three game mods available, Link/Raid/Clash.
This isn't bad but I'd like to see 2 other mods, Hostage Rescue & Seek and Destroy (or classic bomb defuse scenario)
The environment seems suitable for such game plays.

As for the rest of the game, it's neat.
I like it!

- ability to vote-kick players. Sometimes people are afk and that hurts with only 5 teammembers.

You can, if you push M and goto Players, there is the usual Arma ToggleMute/VoteKick option.

Although this is not available when dead.

I really enjoy the game. It has a more competitive feel to it and I like it. There are a few things I'd like to see change.

Future Changes I'd Like:

80 or 90% of current health - The shooting, recoil, and movement mechanics do not compliment having this amount of health.

Shorter lobby time

Gamemodes not changing after every game

So far I think it's great and I'd like to see it go far.

• Like 2