Malden DLC discussion

https://www.projectargo.net/static/images/blog_malden_larche_old.jpg

This old version of Malden 2035 looks better imho than the newer one that has more Greek island colors

and old one has the color scheme of the original Malden 

also if they cant do new buildings for the A3 Malden , then you can reskin them to look different 

for example taking the white paint and making it to darker gray/brown

• Like 8

Just to clear some possible confusion: yes, Malden used by Project Argo is the base for terrain we are going to deliver for free in Malden DLC, as it was described in the Roadmap. The terrain is still in progress even by Project Argo crew, the final terrain should be a full fledged piece :icon_twisted:

Oh yeah... B)  :rolleyes:

https://www.projectargo.net/blog/dev-blogs/malden-2035-from-landscape-to-level-design

after reading the blog by ivan buchta, i just wanted to stress, that despite me critizising the look of malden for being to simialr to altis, i still think that the new malden looks brilliant and - judging by the screenshots - even better than altis.

if i had to choose, i would always go for a new interpretation of malden with higher fidelity instead of a more original rendition with lower fidelity.

as ivan writes about the vegetation being simialr to original malden, i must agree, that the trees look indeed very malden-like. also the vineyards are a great addition, although they weren't on the original rendition...

ivan also writes that he is aware of the critique, so maybe we'll get a little bit more of the balkan-flair when malden goes into the polishing phase. as roberthammer wrote, perhaps it could be enough to get some more grey going on the white houses, to get a little less of the greek resort-feel and a little bit more of a balkan vibe going. maybe they also decide to throw in a new, more eastern type of town-house to slightly shift the towns to a more balkanesque look.

i'm sure, it will be a great (free) addon whatsoever!

• Like 6

I look forward to a different Malden. For a more original look and for old mission ports I will use CUP version.

• Like 3

https://www.projectargo.net/static/images/blog_malden_larche_old.jpg

This old version of Malden 2035 looks better imho than the newer one that has more Greek island colors

and old one has the color scheme of the original Malden 

also if they cant do new buildings for the A3 Malden , then you can reskin them to look different 

for example taking the white paint and making it to darker gray/brown

Holy $hit i didn't even see that picture, the color scheme is soooo similar to the old malden. 

Bohemia please add this lighting to Malden's sunsets. I would cry tears of nostalgia if sunsets on Malden 2035 looked like this.

10_1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

operation_flashpoint.jpg

• Like 16

found a video of exploring malden.

Might want to skip some parts.

glad to finally see a vanilla A3 variant arriving. Greek or not, it's a welcomed addition by us "old timers" haha kudos BI

• Like 2

On 2/23/2017 at 3:16 AM, BL4DE said:

Bohemia please add this lighting to Malden's sunsets. I would cry tears of nostalgia if sunsets on Malden 2035 looked like this.

*pics of awesome

Can't handle such nostalgia...

*boots up OFP, cries tears of joy :don8:

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to this map. It's seems to me that BI started a new game mode which got out of hand and became a total conversion which needed some maps which got out of hand and became a whole new (kinda) Island!

I'm an original ofp player and I fully support this map. I realize an amazing amount of work goes into creating a high quality Island. My opinion is that recreating the original ofp Island or a continuation of that (original Malden but in 2035) would take even more work and only a limited appreciation of of the player base, so it wouldn't be viable to invest in compared to other things.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎-‎4‎-‎2017 at 0:15 PM, joostsidy said:

I'm really looking forward to this map. It's seems to me that BI started a new game mode which got out of hand and became a total conversion which needed some maps which got out of hand and became a whole new (kinda) Island!

I'm an original ofp player and I fully support this map. I realize an amazing amount of work goes into creating a high quality Island. My opinion is that recreating the original ofp Island or a continuation of that (original Malden but in 2035) would take even more work and only a limited appreciation of of the player base, so it wouldn't be viable to invest in compared to other things.

I agree that it would take much more work to recreate the original version, but disagree that it would generate a limited appreciation from player base. I believe the appreciation would be big.

It's just that BI has limited resources and they just have to make choices where they will use it for (and apparently they chose to put them at work somewhere else).

Still appreciate it a lot we're getting this free island, but it will never be Malden to me (just another Greek island that reminds me of Malden...).

Hoped they would've put in the extra effort to make, beside the free new Malden, an old Malden and let the fans pay for that version (if they choose to do so that is of course), but BI already replied to that suggestion earlier in this topic (so that hope is no more). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, athena_promachos said:

Still appreciate it a lot we're getting this free island, but it will never be Malden to me (just another Greek island that reminds me of Malden...).

I understand this. I tried the ported old Islands mod just for fun once, but even those didn't feel the same because they used Arma 2 assets. It's tricky to get the nostalgic feels just right. :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, athena_promachos said:

[...]

Hoped they would've put in the extra effort to make, beside the free new Malden, an old Malden and let the fans pay for that version (if they choose to do so that is of course), but BI already replied to that suggestion earlier in this topic (so that hope is no more). 

10 hours ago, joostsidy said:

I understand this. I tried the ported old Islands mod just for fun once, but even those didn't feel the same because they used Arma 2 assets. It's tricky to get the nostalgic feels just right. :-)

+

Honestly, the old Malden always felt like a greek island to me. Some of the buildings might've been a bit odd, but I chalk that up to BI's limited resources back in the day (as has been mentioned earlier I think). The terrain textures and vegetation all screamed mediterranean to me. Coincidentally, these remain exactly the same style wise in Malden 2035. The forests especially are basically high definition recreations of OFP's Malden.

• Like 2

Last week I bought Arma 1 for a couple of euro's to refresh my memories of OFP Malden and to compare the old and the new. I think the team did a great job.

On the one hand, the terrain and placements of roads and villages is very recognizable, on the other hand, the map feels also very fresh with all the newer and high-def assets.

I also have the feeling that the detailing for Malden is slightly better than Altis. Maybe it's because of the added experience in designing Arma 3 maps.

I think Malden is fantastic! 10/10.

• Like 3

Agree.

The following is a repost from another rogue thread :)

I wasn't much into the series when Malden was first introduced, so had no memories. I have looked at the CUP version as another possible place to create missions, but always felt it was too sparse.

Taking aside the terrain is free, this is a spectacular new addition. Small but tactically laid out with the usual high level of detail and attention paid to the placement of items and buildings.The two surrounding islands, one with a small runway and the other a military base is perfect for countless missions. I wasn't sure changing colors of the various buildings would make it feel different, but it did! Nice touch with the painted gates, and these are included in Eden editor. Love the billboard advertising Tanoa as a vacation getaway!

Finally, BI obviously love the community and the inclusion of the Bushlurker statue was just awesome. Very touching and really classy.

Great job BI and thanks!

• Like 4

I really like the airfield, much better than any other one on stratis/altis/tanoa.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure the Greekish style would fit, but what can I say, I love the thing. There are so many little and big details, it's wonderful. I immediately had to set up some Cold War style black op missions around some of the OFP mission locations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenyoga said:

I wasn't sure the Greekish style would fit, but what can I say, I love the thing. There are so many little and big details, it's wonderful. I immediately had to set up some Cold War style black op missions around some of the OFP mission locations.

Im currently setting up a steal the car :f:

1 hour ago, ProfTournesol said:

Yeah, same for me. It's my favourite A3 island sofar.

Same for me, its the familiar terrain. Almost like going home.

• Like 1

Honestly...this is another true masterpiece of map making...Altis and Tanoa are amazing maps, but Malden 2035 is clearly my favourite !

In this case I really hope for future projects that A 3 maps will not only be compatible with new Arma games but also will be included in some way right from the start. It is so awesome to have different vanilla maps providing such a high standard.

Would be so cool to see a Takistan and/or Chernarus 2035 too some day.

• Like 3