johnnyboy

JBOY Dog [v1.5 - updated 12/21/2018]

5 minutes ago, WPK-ArmedVeteran said:

Awesome job!

Thanks dude!

5 minutes ago, WPK-ArmedVeteran said:

What you could think on implementing is carrying a dog with you.

Great pic.  I could script attaching dog to back, but it would probably clip some and not look great.

What would this feature add to game play?   What advantage is there to carrying your dog to the fight vs. your dog following you to the fight?

I am considering carrying an injured dog so you can take him to a medic, or medevac him in a vehicle.  And its also been suggested that we allow attaching dog to unit's chest when parachuting/ HALO.

Good God is that real?!? Thats one of the craziest (wrongest) things I ever seen.

Put it in JDawg!!

• Like 2

That looks waaay to much like hard work, this is more my style....

Image result for soldier rescuing small dog

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My vote is for a mod as shown by @Evil Organ . A puppy's head poking out f a backpack is a nice counter to the too-cool-for-school bearded spec ops flooding arma 3 right now...lol

Thats right, I would be 'that guy' that brought a puppy to an insurgent raid!

• Like 6

No no no. I want a full sized Alsatian sitting in that pouch, looking over your head, calling it targets! 

• Like 6

Good work. I can see that you put in a hell of a lot of work with this. Could you say how you call the in-game sounds? Is there a string of code you could post? I can find the files, just not how to call them via script or init.

For campaign files, the simple directsay etc works. I'm looking for the Combat Shouts.

@Chris Wilkinson, Here's the full path for Attack commands in English, Persian, Greek-English, and British-English...as an example.

"A3\Dubbing_Radio_F\data\ENG\Male01ENG\RadioProtocolENG\Normal\015_Targeting\Attack_1.ogg"
 "A3\Dubbing_Radio_F\data\PER\Male01PER\RadioProtocolPER\Normal\015_Targeting\Attack_1.ogg"
 "A3\Dubbing_Radio_F\data\GRE\Male01GRE\RadioProtocolGRE\Normal\015_Targeting\Attack_1.ogg"
 "A3\Dubbing_Radio_F\data\ENGB\Male01ENGB\RadioProtocolENG\Normal\015_Targeting\Attack_1.ogg" 

Here's an example call to make player say "Attack" in Persian:

_s = "A3\Dubbing_Radio_F\data\PER\Male01PER\RadioProtocolPER\Normal\015_Targeting\Attack_1.ogg";
playSound3D [_s, player];

In my sample mission, you can see how I parameter drive saying different commands in different languages in this script file:    JBOY_Dog/JBOY_HandlerSpeak.sqf

Here's a link to @Larrow's awesome utility to find the files and capture the full paths.

• Like 1

Hi guys.  I'm working on a new SP mission called "Last Tango in Tanoa" featuring JBOY Dog (the character "El Cojon" from the mission "Last Tango in Bagango" also appears in this mission).  I just posted a little intro video there featuring JBOY dogs having some fun.  While playtesting this mission, opportunities for JBOY Dog improvement are being exposed, so I am improving the dog scripts as well..  So this effort will definitely result in an improved JOBY Dog release in the future.  Stay tuned!

• Like 9

This looks like a neat script JohnnyBoy, thanks for making this! I'm hoping to add it to my mission and see how well it plays with the other mods I have.

• Like 1

Is it possible for a simple dog script to be created?

One where the dog will just follow its leader, get in/out of vehicles and detect explosives? No hunting or scouting or anything, Just these 4.

For explosive detection we editors can attach a certain type of explosive and the dog will just bark when the distance dog-explosive is too small.

32 minutes ago, helicopterenthusiast said:

Is it possible for a simple dog script to be created?

One where the dog will just follow its leader, get in/out of vehicles and detect explosives? No hunting or scouting or anything, Just these 4.

Hi HE, thanks for your interest.

I don't plan on splitting out the functionality, its not worth the effort to me.  The amount of work for a mission editor to include the dog scripts in the mission would be the same regardless (copy the script directories, and add som lines to the init.sqf).

34 minutes ago, helicopterenthusiast said:

For explosive detection we editors can attach a certain type of explosive and the dog will just bark when the distance dog-explosive is too small.

I am planning on adding object detection (drugs, explosives, money, etc), and it won't be hard to build.  However, I won't get to it for a few months due to RL being super busy.

• Like 1

Hey Johnnyboy! Just discovered this script, it looks awesome!! Downloading as soon as I get home! 

Just reading some of the suggestions and I have to say, if at some point there was a option to attach the dog for HALO and fast rope, that'd be awesome! 

Keep up the awesome work man!

• Like 2

I am planning on adding object detection (drugs, explosives, money, etc), and it won't be hard to build.  However, I won't get to it for a few months due to RL being super busy.

In that case I will just have to wait it out. The mission I have in mind won't be able to be built without this ;)

great work, will test it in my z survival mission:) how do u respawn the dog if it died? and did i understand correct that i can make him invincible? cheers!

Hey Johnny,

Great script, and is it any way possible to convert into a mod for Multiplayer uses? My group would love to test it out find kinks and bugs!

Also, I think it would be better if the Dogs had "sides", so we can see it in our groups & command them like an ordinary soldier

29 minutes ago, David Qiwen said:

Hey Johnny,

Great script, and is it any way possible to convert into a mod for Multiplayer uses? My group would love to test it out find kinks and bugs!

Also, I think it would be better if the Dogs had "sides", so we can see it in our groups & command them like an ordinary soldier

From the OP and last comment:

"Planned Enhancements (I hope):

• Make it MP compatible.  May be now...needs MP Testing!  Any volunteers?

I am planning on adding object detection (drugs, explosives, money, etc), and it won't be hard to build.  However, I won't get to it for a few months due to RL being super busy."

•  

Hey... any update on this stuff of late... me and my friends wanna do a mil sim and i found this while we were working on it. Kinda curious about this project's current status. 

14 hours ago, Zerocian said:

Hey... any update on this stuff of late... me and my friends wanna do a mil sim and i found this while we were working on it. Kinda curious about this project's current status. 

Hi Zerocian.  I've had no Arma time for the last few months, so there is very little progress.  However, I expect to put more time in over the winter.  My focus will be on a SP mission using the dog (and improving the dog scripts as I test that SP mission). You are most likely interested on when it will be MP compatible, but I don't plan on working on that for a few months...sorry!

1 hour ago, Mustaffy said:

How can i do that dog will get in my custom car? And Jonny pls add me :] http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mustaffy/

Hi Mustaffy, thanks for your interest.   This post explains the two scripts you will need to modify to include your custom vehicle as something the dog can board. 

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/196998-jboy-dog-updated-v13/?do=findComment&comment=3144193

Post a screenshot once you have the dog onboard!  :)

• Like 1

have a question for you/anyone lol, I"m trying to add a say3d line in a radio in editor.  The problem I'm running into is with the CfgSouinds portion.  If I remove your line of text: {    
    #include "JBOY_Dog\Sounds\JBOY_Dog_Sounds.hpp"
};

the say3D works perfect, if your line of text is in it says cannot find 'sound'

So how would I go about getting these two to work together?   It seems I can't have both under Cfgsounds, unless i'm missing something really obvious lol the code i'm using for say3D sound is follows:

There has to be a way to add in both, I just can't figure it out, and the online searches i've done haven't been great

class CfgSounds
{
    sounds[] = {USA};

class USA
    {name = "surfinUSA";sound[] = {"music\USA.ogg", 1, 1};titles[] ={};};
};

@sirhc221:  Good question.  I'm surprised you can't include your own class definition in CfgSounds section, followed by my #include.  I used the #includes thinking you (or anybody) could do just that, and to keep JBOY sounds separate and cleaner.

I see when I open up my JBOY_Dog_Sounds.hpp, the first sound class looks like this:

class boomerFind
    {
        name = "boomerFind";
        sound[] = {\JBOY_Dog\Sounds\boomerFind.ogg, 1, 1.0};
        titles[] = {0, ""};
    };

Note that there is no sounds[] array as the first line, and it still works for all the jboy dog sounds.  So your additional class might work along with my #include if you remove this line:

sounds[] = {USA};

I think that line is limiting the sounds available to only those show in the {} list (USA in  your case), so it is ignoring all my sounds.  If you remove that line it may then know about yours and mine together.  Worth a shot.

And the lame solution would be to add your sounds to my .hpp (but that is an ugly non-modular solution).

Good luck!

What are you working on?  Is Boomer going surfing?  :)