johnnyboy

JBOY Dog [v1.5 - updated 12/21/2018]

hi guys, I'm working on a ravage mission with Johnny Boy's script and can't open the Dog Command menu after saving a singleplayer mission. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I suspect it has something to do with Ravage and his safe function. Is it possible to re-initialize the JBoy script after loading a safegame?

I believe the fix is in Last Tango on Tanoa. I do have the fix, but I'm not home from work yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZCoder said:

I believe the fix is in Last Tango on Tanoa. I do have the fix, but I'm not home from work yet.

Thnx for ur fast reply! I already had contact to Johnny Boy himself, and he gave me the newest version (from Last Tango on Tanoa) but it dont work for my mission sadly...

1 minute ago, CptStampede said:

7 minutes ago, AZCoder said:

@CptStampede@AZCoder reminded me that he found this problem beta testing my Last Tango mission, so we do have a fix for this.  In your init.sqf you need to replace the current call to JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH with these lines:

// **************************************************************************
// Add dog menu to player.  In this example mission, the player unit is named valdez in the editor.
_dogMenu = [valdez] spawn {params["_handler"];sleep 2; _d=[_handler] call JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH;};  
saveLoad = addMissionEventHandler ["Loaded",{
[valdez] spawn {params["_handler"];sleep 2; _d=[_handler] call JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH;}
}];

Be sure to change to change all occurrences of "valdez" to be the name of your player unit.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

@CptStampede@AZCoder reminded me that he found this problem beta testing my Last Tango mission, so we do have a fix for this.  In your init.sqf you need to replace the current call to JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH with these lines:

// Add dog menu to player.  In this example mission, the player unit is named valdez in the editor.
_dogMenu = [valdez] spawn {params["_handler"];sleep 2; _d=[_handler] call JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH;};  
saveLoad = addMissionEventHandler ["Loaded",{
[valdez] spawn {params["_handler"];sleep 2; _d=[_handler] call JBOY_fnc_DogDisplayEH;}
}];

Be sure to change to change all occurrences of "valdez" to be the name of your player unit.

Will try this right now, after ive done my mission without safes :P

• Like 1

IT WORKS! I must have missed it. Thanks a lot to Johnny Boy! I will update the mission in a few minutes ;)

• Like 2

So guys thnx a lot, and here it is again:

Very simple Ravage escape Mission, with man's best friend, Boomer! ;)

To pay him respect i put this here into the mission too:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• Like 4

JBOY Dog undergoing UDT training?

udt_Boomer.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

JBOY Dog undergoing UDT training?

So I suppose the dolphins are out of a job then? Underwater crime rate is gonna go up.....

• Haha 1

So I've got the feral dog pack script working using Vandeanson's edit, and the dogs are attacking the AI, but the AI aren't attacking the dogs. Anybody know if I've done something wrong, or if I need to enable it somehow?

6 minutes ago, ContheJon said:

So I've got the feral dog pack script working using Vandeanson's edit, and the dogs are attacking the AI, but the AI aren't attacking the dogs. Anybody know if I've done something wrong, or if I need to enable it somehow?

its a wild guess but if AI is Independent, you need to check if opfor and indep are hostile in your arma editor settings.

unless i am mistaking, i thought remembering that saw them fight in my mission once. 

• Like 1

I can verify that I have seen AI shoot back the dogs in my campaigns, but it doesn't always happen. I haven't tested that in awhile.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ContheJon said:

In my sample mission, dog packs attack AI, and AI fights back.    I'm buried on a work deadline right now, and can't delve into this for a day or two.   Try changing side of AI to see if they attack them. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Indep are hostile to both sides in my settings, so maybe it's just a random thing. The dogs went after me when I was next to a small squad of guys but they didn't attack, nor did they attack the other half of the pack that was attacking a lone guy. I guess I'm not too bothered by it really, so long as the dog pack script is working.

14 minutes ago, ContheJon said:

Thanks guys! Indep are hostile to both sides in my settings, so maybe it's just a random thing. The dogs went after me when I was next to a small squad of guys but they didn't attack, nor did they attack the other half of the pack that was attacking a lone guy. I guess I'm not too bothered by it really, so long as the dog pack script is working.

Do you ever see AI firing on attacking dogs?  If not, there may be a problem that I should investigate.

Note:  Attacking dogs should be near the attacked AI before they before AI starts firing at dogs.

• Like 1

@johnnyboy I'm afraid I didn't. Maybe it's related to a mod, I'm using the Ravage mod on this mission with your script and when getting attacked by dogs, your weapon can sometimes be stolen (it's a script added by ravage for the zombies, but I guess it works for dogs too which is neat!), so the AI I saw was limping around without a weapon with the dogs nipping at his heels. I did notice that only two dogs were attacking him and two came after me, and there's usually five dogs if I'm not mistaken, so it could have been that the AI killed one before he had his rifle stolen, but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, ContheJon said:

@johnnyboy I'm afraid I didn't. Maybe it's related to a mod, I'm using the Ravage mod on this mission with your script and when getting attacked by dogs, your weapon can sometimes be stolen (it's a script added by ravage for the zombies, but I guess it works for dogs too which is neat!), so the AI I saw was limping around without a weapon with the dogs nipping at his heels. I did notice that only two dogs were attacking him and two came after me, and there's usually five dogs if I'm not mistaken, so it could have been that the AI killed one before he had his rifle stolen, but I'm not sure.

That sounds promising.  There's a percent chance that when attacked by a dog, AI drops their weapon, so that is probably what happened to the dude.  If he had a secondary weapon, he would have pulled that to fight dog after dropping primary.  And dogs randomly choose near humans (and rabbits, chickens, snakes) to attack.  So you could have had 1 dog attack you and 3 attack the AI, or 4 attacking the AI and zero attacking you depending on luck.  But after killing a human target, dogs look for next near living human to attack, until no near humans left.  Once all near humans are dead (I think default distance is 75 or 100 meters...), then they stop attacking,  and the pack resumes roaming to random positions (until they sense more near humans to attack).

• Like 1

@johnnyboy Ah right! So it's your script that's causing the weapon drops! I forgot your dog script had that in. That's pretty cool, another reason to avoid them.Yeah, the poor guy was limping away with two dogs just destroying him, and he had no secondary so he was pretty much screwed. I tried to help, but there's only so much I could do with a single-shot 12 gauge at over 100 meters :sad:

• Haha 2

I am having this issue of the feral dogs not doing any damage when they attack players. We see blood and they drop their victim's weapon but they deal no damage. Is there any way to increase their damage?

Also, when I activate the trigger to spawn the feral dogs they spawn and wander around just fine but if I go far away from them (teleported 5 km away) they still remained there... shouldn't them de-spawn to save resources or something?

1 hour ago, LSValmont said:

I am having this issue of the feral dogs not doing any damage when they attack players. We see blood and they drop their victim's weapon but they deal no damage. Is there any way to increase their damage?

Hi LSV.  They should be taking damage.  Maybe you have other scripts or mods running?  The way the dogs cause damage is I spawn a 9mm bullet to fly from just in front of dogs's head forward.  Bullet is deleted if it travels more than a meter (so dog isn't shooting people far away).  So I believe it should be working.

Also, when I activate the trigger to spawn the feral dogs they spawn and wander around just fine but if I go far away from them (teleported 5 km away) they still remained there... shouldn't them de-spawn to save resources or something?

Having the dogs de-spawn when no players are near is a great idea, but I never got around to that improvement.  They work fine if you are a mission designer and place them where it makes sense for the progression of your mission.  Then you can spawn and de-spawn them yourself at the proper times using scripting. 

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck.  If you discover any other issues, please report them.

• Like 1

Thank you Johnyboy! On point as always!

I am just running the Ravage mod. Weird because other 9mm pistols hurts all of us just fine. Can it be because it is multiplayer?

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Having the dogs de-spawn when no players are near is a great idea, but I never got around to that improvement.  They work fine if you are a mission designer and place them where it makes sense for the progression of your mission.  Then you can spawn and de-spawn them yourself at the proper times using scripting. 

Most Ai mods come with a min/max range that the units can spawn from players and also how far can the player go before they disappear. Makes no sense having dogs running around if no one is seeing them (Performance wise). 

Also, have you seen this mod for Arma 2?

It works perfectly in Arma 2 multiplayer and it is very simple. Perhaps it can give you some ideas.  

I am just running the Ravage mod. Weird because other 9mm pistols hurts all of us just fine. Can it be because it is multiplayer?

Ahhhh, multiplayer.  Sorry man, but this script is not multiplayer compatible, so that is likely the problem.  I have no idea when I will have time to make it MP compliant...maybe never sadly!

Also, have you seen this mod for Arma 2?

Interesting.  Thanks for the link...I will take a look at it.

Most Ai mods come with a min/max range that the units can spawn from players and also how far can the player go before they disappear. Makes no sense having dogs running around if no one is seeing them (Performance wise). 

Very true, and that is the right thing to do.  But it will take work, so I don't know when I will have time for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Ahhhh, multiplayer.  Sorry man, but this script is not multiplayer compatible, so that is likely the problem.  I have no idea when I will have time to make it MP compliant...maybe never sadly!

Interesting.  Thanks for the link...I will take a look at it.

Very true, and that is the right thing to do.  But it will take work, so I don't know when I will have time for this.

Thanks for the feedback.

At least it is partially working in MP!. It is just the damage but that can be solved with a trigger and a proximity check. (At least for damaging players).

Also, the script I pointed you to works perfectly in MP. You can add dogs to Ai and/or players and the dogs will attack whoever is set to their master's enemy side. I've also added dogs to invisible Ai so that the dogs appear to move alone to simulate packs. The script requires arma 2's CBA so it might require some changes to make it work in Arma 3 but it is a point in the right direction for a simpler MP friendly Dog script ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great mod. Trying to integrate it in multiplayer mod, will keep you posted on the progress if I manage to.
And btw, feral dog packs are amazing. Was looking for something natural to fill the game with more threat which is not about monsters/zombies stuff.

• Thanks 1