3l0ckad3

Create marker at altitude

How do I create a marker to create at a height so I can use a trigger to use BIS_fnc_spawnGroup to spawn a sniper on a building. Been stuck on this one task for a few hours now. I will not provide what syntax I have tried or it will be a bible long description,, I'll just stick to what is needed..

Trigger act:.

Nul = execVM "scripts\sniper_spawn.sqf";

sniper_spawn.sqf

_snp1m = createMarker ["snp1m",[12253.9,16406.5]];
    _snp1m setMarkerDir 85;
    _snp1m setMarkerShape "ICON";
    _snp1m setMarkerType "Empty";
sleep 1;
_snp1 = [getmarkerpos "snp1m", EAST, ["TBan_Sniper"],[],[],[],[],[],85] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;

Cheers!
And a big thank you!

You spawn sniper on marker position, but you set height in which unit will spawn, e.g. height of building

_height = 20; //your height of building

_pos = getMarkerPos "snp1m";
_snp1 = [ [_pos select 0, _pos select 1, _height] , EAST, ["TBan_Sniper"],[],[],[],[],[],85] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;

Better solution should be spawn sniper on one of roof positions of building. (more here buildingPos )

Edit: Here is script for garrison units in buildings. Zenophon have there also option to garrison only roof of building. I think it may be useful to you.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/170936-release-infantry-occupy-house-script/

• Like 1

You spawn sniper on marker position, but you set height in which unit will spawn, e.g. height of building

_snp1 = [ [_pos select 0, _pos select 1, _height] , EAST, ["TBan_Sniper"],[],[],[],[],[],85] call BIS_fnc_spawnGroup;

Better solution should be spawn sniper on one of roof positions of building. (more here buildingPos )

Edit: Here is script for garrison units in buildings. Zenophon have there also option to garrison only roof of building. I think it may be useful to you.

Alright, I'll toy with this in a bit, just playing with trigger scripting right now,, thank you!

JEBUS supports placing a unit in the Editor and let them spawn with a trigger. So you could place your sniper in the Editor and let him spawn in with trigger activation with JEBUS. Maybe this helps?

http://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174661-jebus-just-editor-based-unit-spawning/

EDIT: I did some testing and sadly I was unable to spawn in units on buildings. Ground worked fine. Sorry :( Well, maybe it will be of good use to spawn in ground units..

JEBUS supports placing a unit in the Editor and let them spawn with a trigger. So you could place your sniper in the Editor and let him spawn in with trigger activation with JEBUS. Maybe this helps?

http://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174661-jebus-just-editor-based-unit-spawning/

EDIT: I did some testing and sadly I was unable to spawn in units on buildings. Ground worked fine. Sorry :( Well, maybe it will be of good use to spawn in ground units..

I don't want to place units in the editor 'cause I want to make massive missions, so I do not want the entity to exist till it is time so as not to overtax the server with the use of too much resources bogging it down, nor do I want to bog down the client by having to disable simulation on their machines, I'm trying to keep the traffic communication down on the network as much as possible.

I can confirm this works M1ke, thank you.

Could you comment a tad on the syntax so I know what is happening please ?

My gift is that I can usually understand what I read, but I have issues writing the syntax, getting much better tho thanks to folks like yourself who help me and my understanding along, once again,, thank you!

I understand when select 0 is used in an array, but in this case my mind is at a lose.

Okay now I have another problem, how do I pass unit commands to the unit like setUnitPos "UP" so they don't prone out ?

I understand when select 0 is used in an array, but in this case my mind is at a lose.

First argument in BIS_fnc_spawnGroup is _position (array). This array have syntax [ _x, _y, _z] (coordinates) where you set your elevation ( _z ) as hight from the ground. So in code above you select coordinates from marker position (_x and _y) and set custom _z.

• Like 1

Okay now I have another problem, how do I pass unit commands to the unit like setUnitPos "UP" so they don't prone out ?

BIS_fnc_spawnGroup have return value group. So you have your group in _snp1 variable. In your case your group have only 1 unit. So you want to set position for every (just one) unit in this group.

{ _x setUnitPos "UP"; } forEach (units _snp1);

You can use command units witch return all units from group in array format [_unit1, _unit2, ...]. Then you can iterate through each unit with forEach and set position for each unit in group. This _x in this case is magic variable used in forEach command to select current item in array (unit in array of units).

Hope I make any sence to you :) 

• Like 1

Okay, thank you so much M1ke, I'm not new to editing,,, but there is somethings that still catch my ignorance.
I'm starting to do things outside of my comfort level.. I just starting to actually read every line of the syntax to better understand it..

Cheers!