I have recently been interested in creating a western themed survival modification. Logistically, I believe it is indeed possible, however, I wonder as to whether anyone would be interested in playing this game type?

• Like 3

I have recently been interested in creating a western themed survival modification. Logistically, I believe it is indeed possible, however, I wonder as to whether anyone would be interested in playing this game type?

Western is the new trend on cultural industry (after vampire/zombies/superheroes/scifi revivals), Red Dead Redemption 2 has created a lot of western hype and "magnificent 7" and "westworld" are gathering some fans, so... I say "go for it" (and the armaverse supports new settings, that´s for sure =)

... and would play it 8D

• Like 4

Well, it's as far as I know not been done in Arma yet so it's an original idea. Go for it.

• Like 7

Thanks for the positive feedback! We have decided to continue working on the modification and begin the development process. I'll keep this thread updated. 

• Like 1

the only "problem" i see is horses. they are kind of a must at least eventually to get that full free roam western experience. i think i saw someone working on one though.

but just some units and weapons for a start or even a nice vast terrain could already make for a fun experience. as a full blown thing this could potentially be amazing. clunkiness aside arma is certainly an engine that has what you need terrain wise.

the only "problem" i see is horses. they are kind of a must at least eventually to get that full free roam western experience. i think i saw someone working on one though.

but just some units and weapons for a start or even a nice vast terrain could already make for a fun experience. as a full blown thing this could potentially be amazing. clunkiness aside arma is certainly an engine that has what you need terrain wise.

I mean a vast Arizona landscape or something along those arid lines would be fairly easy/fast to create compared to lush/urban areas. Still a good amount of time that is needed but possible as a side project.

• Like 1

We already have a terrain in development. As for the horses, it'll take a bit of time but I'm more than certain we can get them to work. 

I mean a vast Arizona landscape or something along those arid lines would be fairly easy/fast to create compared to lush/urban areas. Still a good amount of time that is needed but possible as a side project.

I honestly think a modification like this would require more work than that of one based in an urban area, given that assets for urban areas are easier to obtain. Thankfully we have a team of reasonably experience modellers who should be able to get the job done. 

• Like 1

By strange coincidence, a new thread started today from someone who is making a horse mod :)  https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/196788-arma-3-working-horse-mod-wip/

• Like 1

By strange coincidence, a new thread started today from someone who is making a horse mod :)  https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/196788-arma-3-working-horse-mod-wip/

Yeehaw! :)

Yes, this needs to be done. After the RDR 2 reveal a family member texted me and asked if any western mods existed. The answer was no but it NEEDS to be yes!

• Like 1

I think it would be neat if uniforms from the American Indian Wars were possible.

Not a bad idea at all. I have been creating some 19th century weapons also, would be awesome to see someone elses work too.

There is one down side tho, there is no framework for single-action weapon like shotguns and lever-action rifles in a3.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea at all. I have been creating some 19th century weapons also, would be awesome to see someone elses work too.

There is one down side tho, there is no framework for single-action weapon like shotguns and lever-action rifles in a3.

Oh but there is : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28954

• Like 3

... and TRAINS! Lyotchik Sniper was working on trains models and framework for Arma3... a collaboration would be a win win situation =)

Once you have working horses, carriages would be a natural consequence ;)

Keep up the innovative idea, Troye =) 

• Like 2

Maybe the RHS guys would be willing to share knowledge, their bolt action system is awesome

Meant that there is no original framework in Arma 3. Using that means +2 required mods :)

i think it was more meant as an "it's possible via script and mod" in general. you've been playing with extended reload systems yourself haven't you?

lotsa good stuff popping up lately. loving it. i'll do my best to provide the proper wild life. sadly i have no motivation to make models and animations (not to mention it's not exactly my expetise) so if you guys make let's say a bear with animations ready to import, i'll take care of making it really angry and scary :lol:

for now i'll just add arma 2 dogs as hostile wild dogs, which should already be good to use in something like this scenario. maybe the wild boar later.

• Like 5

... you've been playing with extended reload systems yourself haven't you?

Indeed i have but i created my own so need for extra mods :D

Anyway i really recommend to use that framework since it's working perfectly fine.

And also if anyone needs some help with models, texture or anything i'm always willing to help. I can also create some LP meshes if needed.

I like the idea of a western themed mod so much, i startet to work on something to:

http://imgur.com/a/WONKQ

The sequence of images is not quite correct, imgur mixed them

• Like 1