MrBohannon_

Arma 3 Working Horse Mod - WIP

Ok, so myself and a few others are creating a wild west mod we just wanted to know how hard it would be to create a good looking horse mod. This goes out to the people in arma who know how to animate could you do it and could it look something like

thishttps://youtu.be/DZRvYwP5MWs

Here is the model we will buy http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-brown-rigged-looped/675027

• Like 6

Really unique idea, as for the animations, if you download the Arma 3 Samples on Steam, there is a config for a rabbit. You can use that as a reference if you need. 

Good luck

Wild West is a great idea by itself, but if you manage to put together a working horse and release it as standalone, even that will be worth an applause. Horses would be great for so many different uses in different eras. Good luck and ~S!~

• Like 1

Really unique idea, as for the animations, if you download the Arma 3 Samples on Steam, there is a config for a rabbit. You can use that as a reference if you need. 

Good luck

The animations used for the dog would work well-it has good running movements. And the goat walk is okay too.

• Like 1

A western setting would be fantastic. Of course we need women, piano, cards, whiskey and women..

• Like 2

American Special Forces on horseback??! Ok, confirms we have zero idea whats really going on over there.

Cool read tho

American Special Forces on horseback??! Ok, confirms we have zero idea whats really going on over there.

Cool read tho

That picture is actually from Nov.2001. The first SF teams went in on horseback-it was the only way. The start of the conflict saw a lot of horse usage-including cavalry charges.Read the article :)

• Like 1

A western setting would be fantastic. Of course we need women, piano, cards, whiskey and women..

You forgot hogties and trains. 

• Like 2

1. i see this is called WIP , but i see no wip content whatsoever, just a lot of generic bif enthusiasm (which all good)

2. since the mesh you plan buying is already rigged and there are already basic animations provided, the job is partly done. it needs cutom defined bi rig and getting it to work together with a humanoid character to actually be able to use it...

• Like 2

Someone made a working horse for OFP, maybe have a look at that :)

• Like 2

1. i see this is called WIP , but i see no wip content whatsoever, just a lot of generic bif enthusiasm (which all good)

2. since the mesh you plan buying is already rigged and there are already basic animations provided, the job is partly done. it needs cutom defined bi rig and getting it to work together with a humanoid character to actually be able to use it...

I posted this because I wanted to see it was possible to do before we spend hundreds of hours on the mod. Because we can get western models and a map no problem, but horses on the other hand may be impossible. What's the wild west without horses. However, since we see positive feed back we are going to go head and buy the model and see what we can do with it. I'll keep all of you posted soon.

Someone made a working horse for OFP, maybe have a look at that :)

Could you send me a link

I posted this because I wanted to see it was possible to do before we spend hundreds of hours on the mod. Because we can get western models and a map no problem, but horses on the other hand may be impossible. What's the wild west without horses. However, since we see positive feed back we are going to go head and buy the model and see what we can do with it. I'll keep all of you posted soon.

I was under the assumption you are going to make western models rather than "get" them...

I have replied to your question: it is absolutely possible to make horses in ArmA. I am pretty sure it is possible to get "riders" as well (synked animations and attached is one way).

• Like 1

I'm sensing a Red Dead Redemption total conversion mod.

If you want a 3d horse model I may be interested in making you one.  I don't suppose it would take very long to make one.

That being said I would highly recommend you make a horse that can be used for multiple mods and scenarios, such as western, modern day, Revolutionary war .etc.

• Like 3

In WWII, there were even successful cavalry charges. :) Courtesy of Polish lancers, mostly, and not against tanks as it's commonly believed (they were actually charging infantry. The tanks just happened to be lying in an ambush nearby). It was a pretty effective tactic, despite its age.