foofski

Overthrow Mod - dynamic revolution simulator (BETA) [SP/CO16]

Mod update! :icon_cool:

v0.7.4.2:
New: Altis Campaign
New: Bandits rewritten. Civilians will now form gangs that grow in size.
New: NATO garrisons guard towers with HMGs. Towers added to various Tanoa objectives.
New: Very basic Jets DLC support (may spawn at an airfeld)
Tweaked: APEX DLC no longer a requirement
Tweaked: Resistance HMG garrisons will take up tower positions where available.
Tweaked: Lots of optimizations and platform improvements under the hood
Fixed: NATO would often get stuck and not trigger a QRF without restart
Fixed: Lots of other bugs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foofski said:

Hi there,

Glad you are having a good time.

The answers to your current and future questions can be found here: http://wiki.armaoverthrow.com//wiki/Main_Page

If you are still stuck, there are lots of helpful people in the Official Discord chat (and new releases are announced here first!): https://discord.gg/R3ghxge

To help you get started:

• You need to maintain a presence in the town to re-build stability. You can do this yourself, with recruited AI, or by building a Police station (if you have funds!). Having control over the local radio tower also helps, as it will play calming reggae musics to the villagers.
  • Selling weapons is a little harder - you need to control one of the ports on the map. The closest one to the starting location is at Lijnhaven. In the early game, you will find selling things like rangefinders, radios, morphine, etc to local shopkeepers much more profitable. There is also a market for illegal items such as ganja/blow - buy low and sell high! Real estate can be quite lucrative, buy when stability is low and watch your rental income soar once things have calmed down again. Having said all of that, you probably want to buy a warehouse and stockpile your guns there - you will need them when you start arming your revolutionary army!

Regards,

Foofski

-Overthrow Dev Team

Thank you! ❤️ Finally I know what do and won't just stumble around blindly. ?

• Like 2

Hello, please tell me how to turn of complicated medicine, advanced medicine, by default, it is basic medicine, And I wanted more excitement from this great company , thank you for this miracle

Hi,

I have read the wiki and am terribly excited, but before I really dive into it I'd like to ask a question concerning SP mode and saves. I am reading what I think is conflicting information. The wiki says:

How do I properly restore from a save game?

We do not recommend loading Arma savegames at all. Upon starting your server, use the "restart" option in Arma rather than "resume" and then press "load persistent save" at the prompt

The Steam Workshop page says:

Single Player

We recommend that you play solo on a hosted LAN server as opposed to using the single-player. There are better respawn mechanics in multiplayer and the difficulty will still scale accordingly. However you can still find Overthrow under "Scenarios" and "Campaign" in your Arma 3 if you want to play Single-Player.

I suppose that the wiki is slightly outdated since it doesn't mention non-server-based SP, the Workshop page may be as well, so I want to make sure. I don't know what "good respawn mechanics" can mean for SP. I want to play normal, local SP from Scenarios/ as described in the last sentence in the last quote. I do not mind doing one persistent save load to clear garbage from time to time. But with the current version, and playing SP from the Scenarios/ menu option, can I use the way more convenient stock BIS save option? Usually global persistent saves do not feature multiple save slots, do they? I mean recommendations may be coming because you don't mind or prefer respawning in an SP game, but I wonder will I lose anything if I save/reload using the stock BIS save option?

I've been having a lot of fun so far, a few hours in. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to properly gain Standing.

I cannot recruit unless I I have >= +10 standing. According to the wiki, the way to gain it is to do tasks that help the town/village. So I went to the local task-giver in my starting village. "Nothing spurs the resistance more than just killing some blues. Kill any 4 NATO anywhere without dying". "OK" thought I, "there are some right here in my village, how convenient".

So I kill a few gendarmes and 2 soldiers. OOps, standing dropped from 0 to -10. The dude lied, it actually rather "unspurs" it :). OK, next task. "Nothing spurs and blah-blah...". Yeah, right. Sure enough, this wasn't a fluke, I made sure not to hit any civilians even behind bushes, every NATO kill gives -1 to standing. Apparently refusing missions does not have any ill effects, so I start cycling. I see 3 types of missions: 1. Kill NATO; 2. Kill informant (didn't try so far, but I suppose the informant kill will reduce standing as well, and then more decrease from the NATO that the shot will surely attract); 3. Bring bandages to some city.

Bringing bandages does increase my standing, at a rate of +1 per 10 bandages. Problem is I've tried refusing tasks to get new ones for litterally 5 minutes, I get a bandage task like 1 in 10 tries, for one city on the starting island, but most of the time for cities all over the map. Besides, I am not sure if bandages refill in traders' inventories, but even so it will become quickly tedious to scour all the merchants in the country for bandages. Another source are NATO troops, but that means killing one for -1 somewhere to get +0.2 worth of bandages in another city.

Surely this one task cannot be the only way to raise standing, can it? Everything else that I see on the wiki, like building this structure or that, or doing tasks, raises either influence or stability, but I cannot find anything that would raise standing.

2 minutes ago, ballista said:

Standing can be gained by neutralizing criminals.(the red)

Check the overthows wiki http://wiki.armaoverthrow.com/wiki/Basic_Concepts

Like I said I read it all. So far I haven't seen any red criminals, they are all white to me, throughout the starting island. They are also always in a firefight with NATO, which means that if I draw my weapon on them then I'll have to kill the nearby NATO forces, thereby decreasing my standing even more.

• Like 1

I do not understand the logic behind Standing. According to the description, this is a revolution, and I am overthrowing an occupying force. As a rebel I should be more or less scared of meeting NATO forces in a standing battle since they should kick my butt, not because killing them will make my own people hate me. The current state of affairs plays more like an invasion instead of a liberation. I changed "_standingChange = -1" to "_standingChange = 0" and everything started to make sense. A +1 would have made more sense.

Ideally, IMO, the Gendarmerie and occupying NATO soldiers should be different factions. The former should be the local police force fighting bandits and neutral to NATO and me, with a -10 to standing on kill. The latter is fair game to kill as invaders, with a +1 to standing.

• Like 1

Also, it would be awesome if in SP we could get an option to skip time or sleep, for instance until morning, or midnight for a night time raid. Everything is too ugly at night with NVGs, so unless needed by a scenario, I avoid night time like a plague.

• Like 1

Neofit here is bringing up many points with which I also agree. I'd like to add some of my own.

• Battle for a town is based on amount of troops in the town, disregarding how strong they actually are. Often I just want to wait behind a cover with a small team and kill the assaulting enemies as they come, but end up losing because some arbitrary time limit ran out. In a real battle, the battle isn't over until one side is neutralized, no matter how many soldiers each side has in the battlefield.
  • When I go to a new area and place a FOB in the middle of nowhere, I'm getting fired by mortars. The enemy just magically knows I have a FOB there.
  • There is no easy way to cancel "loot" order. When I command a looter to board a vehicle and go fight somewhere, he still tries to come back and loot some more.
  • NATO doesn't see anything wrong with me riding an ATV in full military gear, but as soon as I get out, they start shooting at me.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:39 PM, neofit said:

Hi,

I have read the wiki and am terribly excited, but before I really dive into it I'd like to ask a question concerning SP mode and saves. I am reading what I think is conflicting information.

Hello,

Great to hear that you're excited.

While it is possible to play Overthrow in a "classic" SP scenario, quite a few features will not work as well as they do when playing in a SP LAN server. These include the "Resistance" menu and finances, respawning, etc.

Our home-built persistent save function does a lot more than the ARMA save - which we don't recommend you use at all (it will miss things, weird things will happen over time, etc). There are no save "slots" so each persistent save will overwrite the last. They do save to a file however, which you are free to create backups of if you wish.

So, in short - dont use Arma saves, do use self-hosted LAN for SP and persistent saves.

Feel free to jump on one of the 3 public servers hosted in Australia, Europe, or the USA to see OT in its full glory!

23 hours ago, neofit said:

I do not understand the logic behind Standing. According to the description, this is a revolution, and I am overthrowing an occupying force. As a rebel I should be more or less scared of meeting NATO forces in a standing battle since they should kick my butt, not because killing them will make my own people hate me. The current state of affairs plays more like an invasion instead of a liberation. I changed "_standingChange = -1" to "_standingChange = 0" and everything started to make sense. A +1 would have made more sense.

Ideally, IMO, the Gendarmerie and occupying NATO soldiers should be different factions. The former should be the local police force fighting bandits and neutral to NATO and me, with a -10 to standing on kill. The latter is fair game to kill as invaders, with a +1 to standing.

Overthrow quite complex - we have a large team of contributors with gaming and real military experience advising us on how to model a revolutionary environment. It leads to a dynamic and complex set of variables with many different possibilities (as in real life).

There's a short primer on standings here too, in case you didn't see this: http://wiki.armaoverthrow.com//wiki/Standing

• Overthrow is a revolution by one armed group, not a populist political movement. The local populace may not share your revolutionary wishes, at first.
  • Civilians, being the gentle creatures that they are, might want to be rid of NATO -  but they definitely don't want bullets whizzing through their huts. While oppressive, NATO have been keeping the criminal elements at bay for some time and have the biggest guns. They know that violence always brings more violence - hence the standing drop.
  • Killing NATO drops stability; Killing criminals increases stability. When stability drops, ordinary Joe citizen that isn't all that happy about his life may take up arms and join a gang (this all occurs dynamically) to seek his own fortune.
  • The Gendarmes are very much a tool of the puppet-NATO government that has been installed, and are very much on the same side as the soldiers.
  • Its often smarter to let NATO and the Criminals duke it out first, and then fight the victors (or wait until the coast is clear and loot their bodies!). Let NATO take the blame for all the bullet holes in peoples front doors!
  • Standings can be improved by doing things to help the villagers (missions are still WIP), and owning the local radio tower which plays smooth reggae musics and propaganda.

I hope that makes sense.

8 hours ago, Tuupertunut said:

Neofit here is bringing up many points with which I also agree. I'd like to add some of my own.

• Battle for a town is based on amount of troops in the town, disregarding how strong they actually are. Often I just want to wait behind a cover with a small team and kill the assaulting enemies as they come, but end up losing because some arbitrary time limit ran out. In a real battle, the battle isn't over until one side is neutralized, no matter how many soldiers each side has in the battlefield.
  • When I go to a new area and place a FOB in the middle of nowhere, I'm getting fired by mortars. The enemy just magically knows I have a FOB there.
  • There is no easy way to cancel "loot" order. When I command a looter to board a vehicle and go fight somewhere, he still tries to come back and loot some more.
  • NATO doesn't see anything wrong with me riding an ATV in full military gear, but as soon as I get out, they start shooting at me.

Just on these points:

• There is no "arbitrary time limit" - you likely got overrun and outnumbered in the town. Securing the town is the objective, not just killing all the dudes. Real battles are rarely to the "last man". The coloured circle that appears on the map will tell you how you are faring.
  • There's no "magic" - NATO utilises AR-2 Darter drones to search for insurgents. Keep your eyes peeled. Static MGs manned by AI will make short work of them. You can also purchase your own UAVs to hunt down and direct strike teams on the mortar sites, too.
  • I'll look into the looting issue - I tend to just let them finish before moving on I guess.
  • Thats a limitation of Arma I'm afraid. You may notice as time goes on that NATO will start to recognise you more easily whilst in ATVs, cars etc as your exploits become more known - red dead redemption style. Upgrading your stealth perk helps with this.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, foofski said:

There is no "arbitrary time limit" - you likely got overrun and outnumbered in the town. Securing the town is the objective, not just killing all the dudes. Real battles are rarely to the "last man". The coloured circle that appears on the map will tell you how you are faring.

I'm outnumbered yes, but I'm Ramboing there with a machine gun and shooting everyone. I still lose the battle because I didn't shoot them all fast enough. I wouldn't call the town secured as long as there are still bullets flying around.

I have started the game in SP campaign and would like to move to a SP LAN server. When I load the persistent save, I'm not the same player anymore. Is there a way to continue as the same player as I was in the SP campaign?

Also, sleeping functionality would be nice.

15 hours ago, Tuupertunut said:

I have started the game in SP campaign and would like to move to a SP LAN server. When I load the persistent save, I'm not the same player anymore. Is there a way to continue as the same player as I was in the SP campaign?

Also, sleeping functionality would be nice.

Hi,

I'm assuming you mean that perks, stats, cash etc have not carried over? Transferring saves in this way isn't something we recommend / support. You could jump in the #support channel in our Discord and ask around as some players have had some success with this.

On 12/06/2017 at 3:15 PM, foofski said:

• Killing NATO drops stability; Killing criminals increases stability. When stability drops, ordinary Joe citizen that isn't all that happy about his life may take up arms and join a gang (this all occurs dynamically) to seek his own fortune.

Double check the code then. Whenever I kill a NATO trooper or a Gendarme I definitely lose 1 standing in addition to stability loss, in the locality in which it happened. Besides a Stability decrease, what we have now in fn_deathHandler.sqf is

if(isPlayer _killer) then {
                _standingChange = -1;
            };

in the "BLUkills" part. Setting it to zero stops the stability drop on NATO kills.

The issue this creates is that after a few NATO kills you cannot recruit anymore. There is no simple way to come back from that. From what I saw:

1. You can go hunt bandits. These often have NATO around, who saw you wielding a gun from like 400m away through some bushes, so you end up killing these as well. And then try to fix it. This whole thing turns quickly into an MMO-style rep/faction grind :).

2. You can go do missions. But at this time the vast majority of them is about killing a NATO or informant, which will make things worse. Then there are the "bring bandages" missions, but they are never for the settlement that gives the mission. I've skipped a few dozen of them, they seem to be for about half a dozen fixed cities. It would be nicer IMHO if a mission giver always gave missions that would raise standing in that same settlement, not in the one where I brought bandages. Maybe in both even?

Besides, I am not sure if NPC traders' inventories are replenished and how often (I can't play in NVGs for hours, need time skipping :) ), but at 10 bandages per killed NATO, the whole nation will run out of bandages quickly :).

On 17/06/2017 at 3:04 AM, neofit said:

Double check the code then. Whenever I kill a NATO trooper or a Gendarme I definitely lose 1 standing in addition to stability loss, in the locality in which it happened. Besides a Stability decrease, what we have now in fn_deathHandler.sqf is

if(isPlayer _killer) then {
                _standingChange = -1;
            };

in the "BLUkills" part. Setting it to zero stops the stability drop on NATO kills.

The issue this creates is that after a few NATO kills you cannot recruit anymore. There is no simple way to come back from that. From what I saw:

1. You can go hunt bandits. These often have NATO around, who saw you wielding a gun from like 400m away through some bushes, so you end up killing these as well. And then try to fix it. This whole thing turns quickly into an MMO-style rep/faction grind :).

2. You can go do missions. But at this time the vast majority of them is about killing a NATO or informant, which will make things worse. Then there are the "bring bandages" missions, but they are never for the settlement that gives the mission. I've skipped a few dozen of them, they seem to be for about half a dozen fixed cities. It would be nicer IMHO if a mission giver always gave missions that would raise standing in that same settlement, not in the one where I brought bandages. Maybe in both even?

Besides, I am not sure if NPC traders' inventories are replenished and how often (I can't play in NVGs for hours, need time skipping :) ), but at 10 bandages per killed NATO, the whole nation will run out of bandages quickly :).

The main thing with Overthrow is that we want it to work how you would expect it to in real life. Thus, in prior versions, you could recruit CIVs off the street at any time which seemed a bit ridiculous / too easy. Imagine shooting up a town and then going "hi, want to work with me?" and they say "yes, but for $250".

After implementing the standings requirements, we added a refugee camp (placeable building at FOB) which "attracts" scared civs from nearby and makes them recruitable sans-standings (imagine that they have received food, medical care etc and are now all "these guys arent too bad!"). We also added the recruitment tent (like a mini barracks)for FOBs that lets you recruit fully armed resistance fighters on the spot. We are still balancing how this works.

Missions as they currently appear were only ever a placeholder and have been replaced in the version being tested currently; as are shops.

Strongly encourage you to join us on Discord - both for help in getting started and also to contribute to the ongoing development of the mod :)

5 hours ago, foofski said:

The main thing with Overthrow is that we want it to work how you would expect it to in real life. Thus, in prior versions, you could recruit CIVs off the street at any time which seemed a bit ridiculous / too easy. Imagine shooting up a town and then going "hi, want to work with me?" and they say "yes, but for $250".

I think it depends more oh their relationship with the victims than with me. If they don't like NATO, they will join me, regardless of my reputation, as long as I don't kill their people. If they like NATO and I shoot them up, they will never join me, even if I brought a few bandages into town. Imagine someone shooting up all the police in your town. "Oh, but it's a well known musician, it's OK then, I'll join them"? Maybe making recruitment 10x more expensive would balance that?

BTW, the more anarchy in a city the cheaper recruits should be. Why would you join a band of rebels and risk your life if your everyday life is OK?

Anyway, it feels more realistic to me when I remove the standing loss from NATO kills. But atm I am waiting for a sleep/pass time feature to keep playing. Night time is too ugly, and besides, if we speak of realism, I should be sleeping :). Either playing for two hours in green and black, or parking my dude inside a hut then wait 30 minutes at 4x acceleration for nighttime to pass, none of it is not very fun.

Great mission! One thing I do dislike however is that I always get missions that are on the other side of the map, could you make it so that you get missions closer to you? It makes no sense otherwise imo

On 6/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, laserhel50 said:

Great mission! One thing I do dislike however is that I always get missions that are on the other side of the map, could you make it so that you get missions closer to you? It makes no sense otherwise imo

Latest update has overhauled missions (now "Jobs"). They are generated dynamically based upon what is happening in-game.

Suggest you jump into Discord to chat about OT / get help starting out!

20 hours ago, foofski said:

Latest update has overhauled missions (now "Jobs"). They are generated dynamically based upon what is happening in-game.

Suggest you jump into Discord to chat about OT / get help starting out!

Well if that was after my post then cool, I'll check it out soon!

Otherwise, they are still mostly happening on the other side of the map :P

Update alert! The dev team has expanded, and thus new features and fixes are coming more quickly now.

v0.7.5.3

- Tweaked: Gendarmerie now spawn with less ammunition

- Fixed: Garrisons would not load after second save - Fixed: Weapon attached items would duplicate on transfer

- Fixed: NATO would mark you wanted when standing was HIGH (thanks to forum users for finding this one!)

- Fixed: Further fixes to warehouse save/load

- Fixed: Dead bodies would not completely be removed on AI loot - Fixed: Money would reset to zero if you talked to a civilian after initiating a drug deal

Love this mod.  Love the challenge.  Love the fast travel.

Two bugs I have seen in 0.7.5.3 are :

1. If you talk to the black market guy in the starting town and ask him how to make money legally, it acts like you clicked on the ganja statement.

2. If you do a delivery mission, it will take the inventory out of the vehicle but then nothing happens.  I think it knows the mission is done, but there is no message or stability / standing change.  If you try the same mission (it is still listed) again, it will not take the inventory out of the vehicle.  I usually used a quad but I have also tried a normal truck.

Thanks and I hope you continue with it!

On 6/17/2017 at 11:46 PM, foofski said:

I love this mod and I love what you're doing/you've done. However, excuse me if I'm coming up too strong, I SERIOUSLY doubt you understand how insurgency and resistance movement works. What you're doing is anything BUT how things happen in real life. During the times in WW2, French Resistance, Polish and other resistance groups often had bloody shoot outs in the middle of the town. The towns people LOVED the resistance fighters to a point they even risk their own life harboring them from the Gestapo. Chinese villagers would often set traps or sacrifice their own village just so the resistance movement can ambush the Japanese occupiers. Koreans today still venerates An Jung-geun, naming him a national hero for assassinating Japanese politician. There's a reason insurgents are so hard to root out.

People HATED the occupiers, that's why they went out of their way to KILL the occupiers by any means. Saying "Although you risked your life kicking out the brutal occupiers and set the whole town free, but you shot up and put a few holes in my hut so now I'm angry at you and the entire resistance movement" is just borderline idiotic. No one revolts and joins the resistance because they're bored on a Sunday afternoon. The system you have now is really making me feel like I'm the invader and the NATO forces are the defenders loved by the people. By your definition, all of the resistance movements in the history of mankind should've been ousted in mere days after they started killing occupying soldiers. But that's not the case.

You could implement it as, in towns with high stability, killing BLUFOR hurts your standing, while is more chaotic part of town killing BLUFOR increases standing. It can reflect the dynamic of the public opinion and truthfully represent how resistance movements are usually largely based and supported by the people from rural areas. Also make ambushing BLUFOR patrols in the wilderness penalty free. It's just ridiculous to find out you're at -50 standing with a town 2 KM away after taking out a NATO military installation, or even just killed a few patrols in the middle of nowhere. Assassinating high ranking officers should be a HUGE standing bonus, not losing it. Czech people REJOICED when they hear the news that Reinhard Heydrich has been assassinated, not mourn for his death and vow for his revenge.

• Like 3