goldblaze

TAC-OPS DLC discussion (speculation and hopes)

20 minutes ago, wiki said:

BIS dev already said there are 3 missions

Do you have evidence to support this claim? Not actually denying it was said which is why I specified "this release" above. But I am curious to know when it was said. I feel like I have only heard Operation so far.

Well, at least now it's SP focused - unlike APEX.

That's good for people (like me) who enjoy SP

Yeah I like SP too but I commonly play with my brother as well so it would have been cool to have some more official missions to play.

3 hours ago, jakerod said:

Do you have evidence to support this claim? Not actually denying it was said which is why I specified "this release" above. But I am curious to know when it was said. I feel like I have only heard Operation so far.

SITREP from 3 weeks ago is the first one I recall https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00204

In short, Tac-Ops DLC will feature three distinct singleplayer military operations, and will offer at least 8+ hours of playtime depending on your playstyle and difficulty settings. The operations are designed for the seasoned Arma (single)player and aim to deliver a "classic Arma experience".

"Three SP operations" implies missions IMO, not campaigns or showcases or anything else.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

SITREP from 3 weeks ago is the first one I recall https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00204

"Three SP operations" implies missions IMO, not campaigns or showcases or anything else.

I did a search for missions on that page and didn't see anything that said "3 missions". It says "three distinct singleplayer military operations". I feel like it probably is missions but I haven't seen them call it that. Operations doesn't really imply mission it implies an Operation like Market Garden or Just Cause where there were multiple missions. I guess I can see them calling it operations since you play from multiple perspectives. Campaign is probably ruled out but an Operation could also be a set of missions that are related by overall theme and not a linear campaign. Once again though, probably just 3 "missions". The only thing that leads me to believe that it is a set of missions is the fact that they are calling it Operations and because they made up 3 new storylines when they could have just stuck with the original storyline. We'll see though. I'm getting it either way.

Well if I can get 8 hours of enjoyment from the price then this dlc offers some good value. Nice to see them use the other map as well. Finally can get excited as a singleplayer guy

3 hours ago, jakerod said:

I did a search for missions on that page and didn't see anything that said "3 missions". It says "three distinct singleplayer military operations". I feel like it probably is missions but I haven't seen them call it that. Operations doesn't really imply mission it implies an Operation like Market Garden or Just Cause where there were multiple missions. I guess I can see them calling it operations since you play from multiple perspectives. Campaign is probably ruled out but an Operation could also be a set of missions that are related by overall theme and not a linear campaign. Once again though, probably just 3 "missions". The only thing that leads me to believe that it is a set of missions is the fact that they are calling it Operations and because they made up 3 new storylines when they could have just stuck with the original storyline. We'll see though. I'm getting it either way.

It's seven scenarios across three military operations (plus you can indeed replay some of the scenarios from different perspectives).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Korneel said:

It's seven scenarios across three military operations (plus you can indeed replay some of the scenarios from different perspectives).

So... what exactly does the change of nomenclature mean?

What's the difference between that what has previously been called a "campaign" to that which is now called "military operation"?

"Scenario" is still the same - scenario is that, what the community calls a "mission". So I guess you get seven missions that are combined to three things that aren't a campaign...?

11 minutes ago, Belbo said:

What's the difference between that what has previously been called a "campaign" to that which is now called "military operation"?

"Scenario" is still the same - scenario is that, what the community calls a "mission". So I guess you get seven missions that are combined to three things that aren't a campaign...?

The three operations will be listed under 'Campaigns' in the Main Menu, but we felt that referring to Beyond Hope, Stepping Stone, and Steel Pegasus as campaigns would lead to expectations that they are of similar scope/length as e.g. "The East Wind" campaign. Hence 'military operation' seemed like a more appropriate description, and I think it's also a more accurate word for what you'll be playing . Plus, hopefully it helps convey that you'll be fighting as one of several armed forces participating in a large-scale military operation. Nevertheless, we're indeed introducing a new word for something, and I can understand the confusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Korneel said:

Great! Thanks for this piece of info!

So, 7 missions + replayability from another perspective for some of them = would make maybe actually 10 missions.

also, with this EVOLVING BATTLEFIELD - Discover how your conduct and decisions on the battlefield can affect the operation by completing, failing, or ignoring (optional) objectives it mean we can replay the missions with the optionnal objectives and see how the mission ends whether we do these objectives or not.

That's nice!

@jakerod

you were right mate ;-)

33 minutes ago, Belbo said:

I would say that a campaign has a full story - like East Wind or Apex.

I think "operation" is more to be seen as a "mission pack".

For example, "STEPPING STONE" operation: NATO reinforcements responding to the "East Wind" crisis must first secure the strategic island of Malden.

I would say there can be 2 missions for this operation

1st mission - recon + taking out AA for air support

2nd mission - taking the airfield

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Korneel said:

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. I thought you guys might be up to something when you called it "Operations".

4 hours ago, wiki said:

you were right mate ;-)

I always rarely am. Glad to hear we're getting more than we thought.

• Thanks 1

I think it looks great, and I'm super excited to get my hands on it.
Also, new Gorgon camo texture, so there likely are some new assets (unlike stated before), even if it's just simple retextures.

14 minutes ago, lexx said:

new Gorgon camo texture,

5 hours ago, Korneel said:

you'll be fighting as one of several armed forces

Maybe they're adding a Malden Armed forces?

some chance to see this three "operations" before 30 november? in Dev Branch??

Thx

1 minute ago, sberla101 said:

some chance to see this three "operations" before 30 november? in Dev Branch??

Thx

Probably next week. They often release it to dev branch two week prior final release.

Well 7 missions with a couple where you can replay them from another units perspective. I wonder if there is a default view of the operation or do we have a menu of views to pick from. Sounds good you earned my money so take it!

I think BIS kinda jinxed themselves when they set no new assets, I mean hell we're getting new units (ish) to assault Malden no? So thats an asset in its self since its part of the vanilla campaign.

And we're getting some new "Scenario Module" or something like that, which is also an asset. So hey, worth the $5? Only issue I'll have is waiting 6 months for them to put the files in regular .pbos so I have some editor fun :f:

Also I'm pretty sure the Gorgon retexture is just some brown lines scattered on the old NATO Gorgon tex from 2013. 

Spoiler

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0, "A3\Armor_F_Gamma\APC_Wheeled_03\Data\apc_wheeled_03_ext_co.paa"];

this setObjectTextureGlobal [1, "A3\Armor_F_Gamma\APC_Wheeled_03\Data\apc_wheeled_03_ext2_co.paa"];

this setObjectTextureGlobal [2, "A3\Armor_F_Gamma\APC_Wheeled_03\Data\rcws30_co.paa"];

this setObjectTextureGlobal [3, "A3\Armor_F_Gamma\APC_Wheeled_03\Data\apc_wheeled_03_ext_alpha_co.paa"]; 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, M. Glade said:

Also I'm pretty sure the Gorgon retexture is just some brown lines scattered on the old NATO Gorgon tex from 2013.

Yup, but I'd still call it a "new asset". :p

/Edit: Also new is the "standing turn-out" position on the Marshall. That's not how it currently looks like in the game. Might also just be faked for the screenshot, though.

• Haha 1

Glad to see that SP is getting some attention for those of us who enjoy and mostly play it over the years, look forward to see what this is like. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Night515 said:

Steel Pegasus is likely the NATO attack on Stratis during the Win episode.

I doubt that.

More likely to be on Altis :

During the invasion of Altis, NATO forces stage a daring air assault to open a second front.

Why is IDAP on Altis 9 years before East Wind (the real war)? What are they doing there? 

This really opens up a new story, hopefully it can be wrapped up in the same operation if thats the correct word for it. 

https://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/arma3_dlc_tacops_screenshot_02.jpg (seeing as this is probably the Beyond Hope operation, not the Steel Pigasus)

8 minutes ago, M. Glade said:

Why is IDAP on Altis 9 years before East Wind (the real war)? What are they doing there? 

This really opens up a new story, hopefully it can be wrapped up in the same operation if thats the correct word for it. 

https://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/arma3_dlc_tacops_screenshot_02.jpg (seeing as this is probably the Beyond Hope operation, not the Steel Pigasus)

I thought IDAP were there as there had been a Civil war between the AAF an the FIA.

Anyway, in the campaign of Laws of War DLC, they say IDAP was there before the events of East Wind.

12 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

I thought IDAP were there as there had been a Civil war between the AAF an the FIA.

7 minutes ago, wiki said:

Anyway, in the campaign of Laws of War DLC, they say IDAP was there before the events of East Wind.

I mean, a decade prior? That's a long time, really opens up new spots in the timeline.

I understand that TF Aegis has been there for 2-ish years, but what conflict has gone on for that long? 

Retard post once again...

Edited by M. Glade

8 minutes ago, M. Glade said:

I mean, a decade prior? That's a long time, really opens up new spots in the timeline.

I understand that TF Aegis has been there for 2-ish years, but what conflict has gone on for that long? 

Afghanistan. Iraq. Vietnam. I do feel like Altis is kind of small to have the conflict running for so long but maybe it just keeps sparking up and dying down.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's lots of death on Altis. Makes you wonder who's fighting there with no women around to make new kids. :wiggle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2