Sign in to follow this  

Oxygen faq

My idea of the FAQ was searching this forum and trying to organise topics into some resemblance of order. Taking most important stuff and putting it together, but I can also do other things.

Hey guys! I can help you too. I think I know 90% about modeling for OFP. And Im from Czech Republic, so I haven't problems with with selections. I can easy translate it and explain.

Okay, my idea of the FAQ is simple:

Not very many threads.

One: Hello! (Explains what the FAQ is and how to use it, greets everyone and so on)

Two: Install issues and how to resolve them (I know many have had issues with the install)

Three: Hints & Tips (Helpful little hints and tips to make work in O2 faster and more efficient.)

Four: Basic interface (What are all the buttons, what do they do and so on)

Five: Modelling (How to model in O2 to achieve the best result)

Six: Texturing (This deserves a separate thread since it's basically a whole science on it's own)

Seven: LODs (Everything about LODs, basically)

Eight: Selections and Memory points. (Everything about selections and memory points.)

Nine: confused.gif

If you have other ideas as to which info to put up here, be my guest =)

Please note that I do not think that I'm better than you guys in any way. In fact, I am more than willing to admit that most of you probably know more about O2 than I do. Instead I am here to coordinate your greatness, so that the newbies can understand what you lot are talking about =)

I think we need to cut LOD thread to two different!

One for "Reslotuion" LOD's - what is basic idea of making them,and how know what resolution do they use!

And two for "named" LOD's

Which LOd is for what and what must be there.

And alone thred for Memory as you tell, but another alone thread for selection names with traslation, explanation and usage of this selections.

I think e.g. one post= one type of vehicle

that might be simple..

or...

for "named" LOd's will be better

1. Geometry,View Geometry, View Cargo geometry etc.

2. All Fire Geometrys

3. All "View" Lod's

4. Hit point, Land contacts, Paths, RoadWay

If we put all knowledge about LOD's to one thread ,I think there will be great mess!

Yeah, good point. Well, let's start compiling some readable docs about things, so we can see how to fit things in =)

How about a section on importing and exporting from O2 to other 3D programs?

Be a good idea to intergrate or at least reference the Addon "Rules/Guidelines" being discussed in the main Addon forum.

SelectThis

Exporting? I know only one way to export from oxy's p3d, with p3d2obj format.

But how to properly imoprt will be good thread. How to set units in some 3d modeling software etc.

End I think if youre imoporting 3ds created in 3ds Max, you must name the materila as is the texture name..

eg texture is left_side.tga so materila must be named left_side to easy and auto import textures.

And please tell me what may I write,because if I have choice I can't choose anything..:-)

The only successful exporting I have had so far is by using the "Send' menu feature and saving as an .asc file. It doesn't export any textures or lods but at least you can save a model that can be imported into another 3d program. I've had to do this a couple of times to use the boolean feature of 3ds max and truespace. So whoever is writing the import/export part you can add this bit, if it is helpful.

I was completely unaware that there was a working export function. Shows what I know biggrin.gif

Anyway, if you all could post here with something that you are very good at, or have a lot of info about, then I'll team you guys up and you can work out the details yourselves.

But for now, the only decided thing is that FlipeR takes care of the advanced stuff like LODs, selections and memory points, since he already has some documentation on this.

And SelectThis, the 'addon rules/Guidelines' will be a very essential part of the Oxygen FAQ =)

I wrote a quick Introduction to the some O2 Options that are not ccommon with other 3D modeling programms. Maybe we can add some screenshots to it in the final version. I don't explain in detail here what the purpose of the functions is since some are worth a chapter in it's own.

Don't hesitate to correct my english, it's not my primary language wink.gif

-----------------------

The O2 Interface

The O2 interface doesn't differ much from the Interface you find in normal 3d modeling programs. It has however some unique options. This quick intro is designed to give you a short overview how to use this functions.

Lods (ALT+L)

To change between Lods just doubleclick on the one you want to open.

After you rightclick in to the LOD window you have the following options:

New: creates a new LOD

Duplicate: adds a copy of the LOD you rightcliked on as a new LOD

Delete: deletes the LOD you rightcliked on

Show at background: The LOD you rightcliked will be shown in the background of every lod. Hidden parts will not be shown. Useful for making low detail resolution LODs.

Display: Toogle display of how many vertices/faces each LOD has

Properties: change the type of LOD (Resolution, Geometry etc.)

Named Selections:

Redefine: Curenntly selected parts of the model are grouped together as the selection u choose.

Note: Deleting/Redefining does not delete or somehow regroup stuff at the model itself.

The components of the model can be part of numerous different selections.

Mass (ALT+M):

Only active if geometry LOD is displayed.

------------------------------------

Anything else that needs clearification? I think we should expect them to have at least seen a 3d modeling program, so the rest of the options should be clear or is to trivial to explain.

I will add a quick intro about the Topology section in the Structure Menu.

A list of keyboard shortcuts for selecting deselecting, rotating etc should also be included.

Thats it for now

KKB

PS: Would be nice to know if the FAQ has to be ready in a couple of days, weeks or month. Just to give us a general idea how much time we have to complete this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ Aug. 25 2002,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was completely unaware that there was a working export function. Shows what I know  biggrin.gif

Anyway, if you all could post here with something that you are very good at, or have a lot of info about, then I'll team you guys up and you can work out the details yourselves.

But for now, the only decided thing is that FlipeR takes care of the advanced stuff like LODs, selections and memory points, since he already has some documentation on this.

And SelectThis, the 'addon rules/Guidelines' will be a very essential part of the Oxygen FAQ =)<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like to team up with zwadar, if he wants to, I think the technical field is the one I can say most about.

FlipeR will proof-read the technical section and add the stuff we have not covered.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KKB @ Aug. 26 2002,14:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would be nice to know if the FAQ has to be ready in a couple of days, weeks or month. Just to give us a general idea how much time we have to complete this.<span id='postcolor'>

I sent this info to KTottE, but I guess he hasn't sent it out yet, so here it goes. This the estimate that Suma has given:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While I cannot tell when O2 will be released, it will certainly not be released before end of August. I assume it will not be released before September 15, but I am not sure. It is very likely it will be released before end of this year, but again - I am not sure. As far as I know, no date has been set yet.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zwadar @ Aug. 24 2002,23:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Exporting? I know only one way to export from oxy's p3d, with p3d2obj format.

But how to properly imoprt will be good thread. How to set units in some 3d modeling software etc.

End I think if youre imoporting 3ds created in 3ds Max, you must name the materila as is the texture name..

eg texture is left_side.tga so materila must be named left_side to easy and auto import textures.

And please tell me what may I write,because if I have choice I can't choose anything..:-)<span id='postcolor'>

you can export p3d to .3ds by the "Send" function.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ Aug. 26 2002,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you can export p3d to .3ds by the "Send" function.<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad it doesnt work though tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Aug. 26 2002,16:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ Aug. 26 2002,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you can export p3d to .3ds by the "Send" function.<span id='postcolor'>

Too bad it doesnt work though tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

eh? it worked for me.

Zwadar will write a more detailed description of LODs and selections.

It will include more detailed description on each LOD, which selections to use in it, and also divide the selections into categories.

Choppers

Airplanes

Wheeled vehicles

Tanks

Soldiers

And he will also include vertex and face limits for each LOD. Which is nice.

Ok. Now is the time to start the writing. Marek was kind enough to give me a bit better estimate for the release:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There's no fixed plan for the release now but we expect it within 2-4 weeks from now (however, it all can change...)

<span id='postcolor'>

Note: This information is not to leave the breathe forums. Do not mention it to anybody outside (not, the offical forums, not at ofpec, not to your mod-team, not anywhere).

We should aim for having the FAQ written within two weeks.

someone from BIS told me and scorpio about the release 1 week ago lol

but if someone wants to make my skin tutorial html because i lost my Frontpage Cd damn

I will be working on explaining the buttons and shortcut keys in O2.

hm Frandsen made that i think he told me something about key explaination for o2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ Aug. 27 2002,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hm Frandsen made that i think he told me something about key explaination for o2<span id='postcolor'>

ive written that up. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ Aug. 27 2002,15:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">someone from BIS told me and scorpio about the release 1 week ago lol<span id='postcolor'>

No shit Sherlock wink.gif It has been known for over a month. That is not the issue however. The release date is however still not set but we now got an estimate from Marek. The previous estimate was in the range of between one week to six months. (Note however that it can still be 6 months, since it really hasn't been set yet)

Yes, I know what Aaron said on mirc to you, and I also know that you have been talking about it in public, both here and in the ofpec forums. Please don't do that in the future. It only helps to spread rumors.