Sign in to follow this  

Oxygen faq

Would any of you ModMakers be willing to do the OFP community a big favour: namely writing a a quick start guide or a FAQ for oxygen.

With the public release of oxygen there will be many people asking simple questions that you know the answer to by heart. It will be easier for the new users if they have a basic starting point, and it will be easier for you since you won't have to answer the same trivial questions all the time.

What do you think of this? Would you be willing to do it and write something up?

Aye, this would benefit us all.

Couldn't it be in the form of an html doc?

That is put up, with several sections about lots of O2 stuff. And we could all work to get all the info from this board into that FAQ.

So we can have:

Basic Info

->Installing & Configuring

->Button explanations

->Useful keyboard shortcuts

->Basic modelling

->Basic Texturing

Advanced Info

->Selections

->Memory points

->LODs

->Proxies

Or something like that. Sounds like a plan, eh?

Scorpio has done a great kind of Tutorial that explains the buttons and lods

Still, it would be better if we had a large comprehensive FAQ in which all our knowledge can be found.

Imagine someone reading a tutorial, not understanding something and coming on to the forums to post about it.

Now imagine the same guy reading a tutorial, not understanding something then goes into the FAQ and finds the info he needs.

Let's face it guys. By now, the things that are not answered in this board are not worth answering. Or we simply do not know the answers yet.

If all the info here is then placed in the FAQ, the newbies can easily learn everything we know to date.

Not saying that we should have tutorials, but a FAQ to complement the tutorials would be extremely useful.

we can make 1 topic as a Index of tutorials made on the forum or something so that 1 topic has diff links to other tutorials

I agree with KTottE. There is a lot of good information here, but it isn't structured. And we all know how good people are at using the search engine biggrin.gif

Say for instance this from the skinning thread:

q:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I try to load the m16mag.gif the objektiv says to me : Unable to convert texture ,pac2pal error!

What can I do ? <span id='postcolor'>

a: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">go to your buldozer folder copy 2 files called pac2pal.dll and exe or somethig to your oxygen directory then run the exe file restart your computer and then try to load <span id='postcolor'>

There are tons of such practical tips that are in the forums and such questions will be asked to death if the answers can't be accessed easily.

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about.

So, Denoir, do you have a plan for this FAQ?

Like is there some place where we can deposit those useful little tips, or do we just write them down in a .txt and send it to you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ Aug. 21 2002,21:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, Denoir, do you have a plan for this FAQ?

Like is there some place where we can deposit those useful little tips, or do we just write them down in a .txt and send it to you?<span id='postcolor'>

Well do you have any suggestions?

I could do perhaps this:

Create a new forum under breathe for the FAQ. In there we could create one thread per section of the FAQ where the tips can be posted.

Then there is the question of organization. I can hardly lead the effort since I don't know anything about O2, so I wouldn't be able to judge what is important and what is not.

Would you be willing to lead the construction of the FAQ?

Another idea is to perhaps see who is interested in contributing and then divide the FAQ areas among those who wish to help out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 21 2002,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another idea is to perhaps see who is interested in contributing and then divide the FAQ areas among those who wish to help out.<span id='postcolor'>

That sounds like the best plan to me.

Question is, who would be in charge of each section?

I'm not extremely experienced with O2, but if no one else will take it I will.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ Aug. 21 2002,22:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 21 2002,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another idea is to perhaps see who is interested in contributing and then divide the FAQ areas among those who wish to help out.<span id='postcolor'>

That sounds like the best plan to me.

Question is, who would be in charge of each section?

I'm not extremely experienced with O2, but if no one else will take it I will.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, we first have to see who is interested in helping out.

It would be very good if everybody who is willing to help makes a post in this thread.

By this you won't just be helping new lost souls with o2, but save yourselves from answering the same question over and over again. Remember: you are the ones with the knowledge.

The moderators can only help to keep the forums clean on a superficial level since we will probably have a hard time judging which questions are relevant and which are not.

i know enoug of oxygen to work good with it i may have not released any addons but that does not mean i cant handle it

i helped some people out with their problems on msn Icq etc

and about the FAQ thingy is a good idea

If I have something valuable to contribute to the FAQ I won't hold back. So lets do this smile.gif

I'm with you guys! Just that I'll wait for you to post all that you know, to avoid myself writing posts all the day smile.gif

I already have some documentation about LODs (which includes selections, proxys and Memory LOD points - all Advanced Info part by KTottE classification) that I wrote myself so I dont have to remember all those names, techniques, etc...

Also I have some extra info that I got from BiS guys and from exploring the ODOL models...

FlipeR

Denoir, I'd be willing to write or assist someone in writing a tutorial. I began one a short while ago on how to build an airplane and another planned to build a chopper using Oxygen. I didn't continue as I thought it might be a breach of the agreement. So give me a nod and I'll continue with them. I have a dedicated website so there is now worries about hosting the tutorial pages either. But again, I will only continue this as long as the people at BIS give me the go ahead.

Here's something of what i had in mind. Just the index page

DC3D Modelling Zone

Colonel_Klink, while publishing them right now before the O2 release it would be a breach of agreement, there is nothing stopping you to write them now and make them public when O2 goes public. The only thing BIS will do is to thank you smile.gif

I was thinking about creating a new forum under Breathe for the faq where the topics could be posted. It is great to see that you modmakers are willing to do this.

Now, what we should come to agreement about is which sections the faq should have and assign who is responsible for each section. Any suggestions?

I nominate FlipeR for grand-master for the advanced bits, since he has most of that stuff written down already.

Moving to Oxygen FAQ smile.gif

Ok, the list so far:

KTottE

Vixer

Antichrist

KKB

FlipeR

Colonel_Klink

KTottE: I suggest that you will be the project leader for this. That means organizing the sections and see who wants to help out with what. I can provide forum logistics and help out with any organization, but I am afraid that I cannot help you with any technical assistance. I havn't even looked at O2 and much less done any modelling in it.

If somebody else wants to join or back out, now is the time to tell it because I have additional info on the public release of oxygen for those who are going to be involved in the FAQ.

I would like to work in the technical section, my capabilities as an artist are not this advanced  biggrin.gif

I think my biggest knowledge so far is in everything about the different "invisible" LOD's (geometry, memory, hitpoint, fire geometry)

For instance have I brought a bike into the game and all I had as reference was a online czech -> english dictionary, the BIS Jawa and a hexeditor   wink.gif  (and Eviscerator who told me how to tweak the geometry lod to stop the bike from diving into the ground  biggrin.gif )

So I could for instance compile lists with memory points and selections needed for different type of addons (allthough I would prefer them to be land vehicles and/or static objects, haven't much looked into planes/choppers).

But thats of course up to the Chief KTottE to decide  smile.gif

cheers KKB

Well, *puts on his new 'I'm the head guy' cap*

I suggest that everyone with technical info talks to FlipeR, and see what he has compiled in his document(s).

Then all of you with knowledge about that (I'm more of an artist, see biggrin.gif) can put together the advanced section of the FAQ. With LOD, selections, memorypoints and all that mumbojumbo.

If you have important info about LODs (Meaning not just: LOD means Level Of Detail, we like those) please contact FlipeR and compare your info, so we don't get duplicate copies of things here.

I will write some sort of welcome thread for everyone, that ought to be stickied at the top of the board. (*wink* *wink* denoir)

That thread will explain what the FAQ is about and so on, where to find relevant info and blah-blah-yada-yada.

And I promise that as soon as I have the time (It's 9wow.gif0 AM here in Sweden, and my first class starts just about now) I will sit my arse down and write that post.

Then everyone holding the goodies, can contact me with what they want to put into the FAQ.

IM (Click the darn button ;-))

E-mail: Tomas_Landin@Hotmail.com

ICQ# 95734666

Glad to have you all on board.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Colonel_Klink, while publishing them right now before the O2 release it would be a breach of agreement, there is nothing stopping you to write them now and make them public when O2 goes public. The only thing BIS will do is to thank you<span id='postcolor'>

I kind of thought this might be the case. So I'll get them prepared and then perhaps send a link to BIS for their final approval. Looking forward to doing this as giving something back to the community. Good on you KTotte for taking on this FAQ. JUst give me some idea where you're wanting to go with it and i'll do my best to help.