Sign in to follow this  
MasterGunner309

Looking to start a Range Facility project

All,

Hello. I've been tossing around the idea of having a structured Multipurpose Range Complex (MPRC) set of missions developed for Arma 3. This would allow armored crews to conduct gunnery in accordance with (IAW) Army crew qualification standards. I'm a 21 year US Army veteran, and spend my career on M2 ODS and M2 ODS SA variants of the Bradley. I'm Master Gunner qualified so I know how to conduct gunnery in the real world, and would like to translate that to the virtual battlefields of Arma. Commanders use gunnery to rate their crews readiness and identify training strengths and weaknesses for their crews prior to combat operations or follow on section or platoon gunnery. Gunnery was a major training event, and was basically an armored units "report card" for the training year.

What I need is someone who can create the targetry assets. I would be using the Army's TC 25-8 manual for the dimensions of the targets. Basically, the Army uses plywood cut targets to simulate armor and pc targets, and troop silhouettes for the troop target arrays. I have the dimensions and all the tools for asset creation. What I don't have is a modeler and texture guy to actually create the targets. There would be some scripting involved as well. Just something for to intiate the target being raised and remain exposed for 50 seconds or until a registered hit knocked it down, whichever happened first.

We could work together to set the targets as per Army standards IAW the HBCT FM 3-20.21. There is a newer manual out, but I'm not sure its currently in the public domain. Let me know what you guys think. I think the MilSim groups out there that run armor would love to have a standard gunnery table to rate their crews and keep them battle ready for the units Operation nights. Plus, it would give that unit commander an overall assessment of his armor crews readiness. And its just damn fun to have that inter-rivalry between the crews.

Let me know if anyone is interested!! I've linked a video showing some aspects of gunnery for Abrams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIL88x3GJU

• Like 1

IIRC:

You got these types of targets already made for BI games. There was a generic western tank plywood target in ArmA2 similar to a lepard 2. You also have a few other type of targets I believe.

I'd love to either help out or be able to see the process of this since I'm very interested in something similar. Used to have a firing range, close quarter training and obstacle course for ArmA2 which actually helped you get better at the game but also turned the rivalry between players without an instant winner (the guy who eliminated the threat first) but rather kept on going for a while with more of a competition feeling to it.