Sign in to follow this  
fin_soldier

Official Multiplayer Gamemodes

The Arma 3 roadmap 2016-17 recently got released. With high hopes I am very excited about the planned content.

But, there's something that's been on my mind for a very long time since the release of A3. 

Something I wish would gain more attention in the future updates & DLC's to come.

It's the official multiplayer gamemodes such as End Game, Zeus and Support. My favorite multiplayer game is End Game.

Which is a gamemode that represents how the game is meant to be played.
Well, what's the point of this thread?

As a Arma veteran since the first game in the series, and content creator. It feels like the roots of Arma are going extinct.

There's barely any official gamemodes in MP which represents the game itself. There's one End Game server I play on which usually has players,

but it's the only server running the gamemode. What's up with this? Same with Zeus. The quick game menu has been helpful, because before Apex the situation was even worse.

AND, there's not a single Support gamemode server. I'm happy & love the gamemodes, but it's sad that they aren't getting the attention they deserve as they are a part of the core game.

Other than that, there's one gamemode I'd like to see implemented in the game.

It's Capture the Island. I and many other's would love to see this gamemode in the base game in high quality like the other official content.

I hope this resonated with other Arma veterans, new players as well as the developers.

• Like 2

The problem is the server browser - it promotes highest player count servers.

And the average player assumes "many players = most action = most fun".

You need good design to counter this false narrative.

BI recently had a chance with the "quick play" feature to highlight the non "top-5" most played,

yet they had no interest to make the feature really useful sadly..

I see the lack of CTI or better the traditional "warfgare" from ArmA and ArmA II. Warfare was the main vanilyl gamemode for a very long time in Armed Assault and ArmA. Arma 3 is lacking the needed mission Modules and base building models. Since CTI was modded into ArmA II again is has to use generic replacements for base buildings and MHQ etc.

Also the I cant see why all the modules from ArmA II that brought simple editor missions alive, like Ambient civilian life and traffic, ambient combat module etc. are missing in ArmA III.

ArmA II despite its progress as a software, is not half the game that ArmA II was and is.

I hope as part of the Roadmap we see some sector control maps, and CTF maps, these all came with OFP and were great fun. 

• Like 1

I see the lack of CTI or better the traditional "warfgare" from ArmA and ArmA II. Warfare was the main vanilyl gamemode for a very long time in Armed Assault and ArmA. Arma 3 is lacking the needed mission Modules and base building models. Since CTI was modded into ArmA II again is has to use generic replacements for base buildings and MHQ etc.

Also the I cant see why all the modules from ArmA II that brought simple editor missions alive, like Ambient civilian life and traffic, ambient combat module etc. are missing in ArmA III.

ArmA II despite its progress as a software, is not half the game that ArmA II was and is.

Fully agreed!

The Ambient features would be nice. But, I wouldn't put it on a priority, like I would on CTI.

I think we don't have CTI because of the performance. Altis is so large of a terrain, it would be irrelevant to have CTI on it as a whole. But if it was divided into areas of the island like "CTI: Altis South-West".

Not only would it be better for performance, it would also be better for gameplay.

I hope as part of the Roadmap we see some sector control maps, and CTF maps, these all came with OFP and were great fun. 

There's a Zeus SC which I quite enjoy.

I'd love to see some simple & classy Capture the Flag. It could be like Karts DLC, which took a lot more time than it would take to create simple CTF.

The annoying part is that there's CTF in the quick play menu, but the gamemode ceased to exist.

The game modes are there already - they are not played (much). The reason for this you have to ask yourself.

I was really excited about the support game-mode, disappointed that I have never been able to play it!

The game modes are there already - they are not played (much). The reason for this you have to ask yourself.

As you said earlier, it's the server browser.

I wouldn't want to create a unit and invite just to play, which seems to be the only option in these gamemodes...

I was really excited about the support game-mode, disappointed that I have never been able to play it!

So was I, and I bet so many others. I don't get it why create high quality gamemode and leaving it.

I hope to see improvement in the quick play / server browser.

Don't get why Support Gamemode is in the lowest corner of the quick play list, and not highlighted as the other official gamemodes.

• Like 3

I actually played it a bit, it's pretty fun. I think the biggest thing is the voice acting. It just makes the mission so much more immersive. I plan on doing tournaments and such with it when my group gets a bit larger. 

IMO its pretty simple why so few play the official modes ... 

official modes have a few hundred hours of development time.

all the community modes that are popular have many thousands of hours of development time.

all the official modes are quite narrow in scope, especially for a sandbox military game.

• Like 1

Did you guys read the roadmap?

Later next year, we aim to present players with a package of playable content: 'tactical operations' that focus upon challenging, replayable and authentic military gameplay, which makes the best use of our sandbox.

"Replayable," "authentic military gameplay," "makes the best use of our sandbox"

Sounds pretty close to CTI to me...

Did you guys read the roadmap?

"Replayable," "authentic military gameplay," "makes the best use of our sandbox"

Sounds pretty close to CTI to me...

That's what I'm hoping for.

If there's still anything I wanted to add into this thread is this Project Argo, which came from nowhere!

With Project Argo specifically, we want to test some competitive multiplayer game mechanics, and improve the competitive aspect of Arma and other Bohemia games.

Sounds good to me!  :rolleyes: 

I just don't wish to see only arcade style gamemodes in the future of Arma. PvP is not really the core of Arma, and doesn't really work.

Arma is game where you're suppose to use your brains rather than your nervous system, as in Battlefield & Call of Duty for example.

That's what I'm hoping for.

If there's still anything I wanted to add into this thread is this Project Argo, which came from nowhere!

Sounds good to me!  :rolleyes: 

I just don't wish to see only arcade style gamemodes in the future of Arma. PvP is not really the core of Arma, and doesn't really work.

Arma is game where you're suppose to use your brains rather than your nervous system, as in Battlefield & Call of Duty for example.

Competitive doesn't always mean one has to have super-huming reaction. Even many Counter-Strike rounds are won by tactics.

Arma 3 and Argo should focus on the strategic side of things, but what I've seen so far from Argo, the game modes are way too simple to actually reward some sort of tactics.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:30 AM, fin_soldier said:

Fully agreed!

The Ambient features would be nice. But, I wouldn't put it on a priority, like I would on CTI.

I think we don't have CTI because of the performance. Altis is so large of a terrain, it would be irrelevant to have CTI on it as a whole. But if it was divided into areas of the island like "CTI: Altis South-West".

Not only would it be better for performance, it would also be better for gameplay.

There's a Zeus SC which I quite enjoy.

I'd love to see some simple & classy Capture the Flag. It could be like Karts DLC, which took a lot more time than it would take to create simple CTF.

The annoying part is that there's CTF in the quick play menu, but the gamemode ceased to exist.

Agree on the performance requirements for CTI, however we've been "doing" the CTI thing for years now and have gotten quite good at it. IMO, we have the best CTI mission to date, no one can touch us on the amount of "things" our mission can do.

All you old OFP players need to come out of your hiding holes and join OFPS CTI to see how far we've come!

END GAME:

As anxious as I am to see what these new MP game modes are, I'm sad to say that I have to really focus on not getting my hopes up based on what has already been put out.

As Quicksilver said, despite the hard work that went into creating them, the current game modes seem to be only moderately thought out and hastily thrown together. 

I've played quite a bit of End Game and unless something has changed over the last 5 months I've been without a computer, one of the biggest problems that I remember about playing on official servers was the lack of an effective [Vote Ban] function. (One that doesn't let you come right back in.)

I've had several game night events nearly completely ruined because people found out I had invited a large group of friends in to play and decided to troll us by team killing and driving off into the water with the vehicles and even the schematics!

Compare this with the fact that even still, a large number of players don't even know what End Game is, let alone understand clearly how to play, and it's easy to see why there are so few playing.

Why struggle to learn something with a mediocre explanation of the rules while enduring almost constant trolling when you can just stick to a game you already understand and know is policed by admins?

Unfortunately I've only had even worse experiences playing Zeus MP.

CORE OF ARMA:

I have to halfway disagree with the statement that PvP isn't the Core of ArmA. I know plenty of veteran players, myself included, whom almost exclusively desire to play PvP ArmA. AI is neat and all but it can't match the skill and cunning of a real person working as part of a team.

And with the way ArmAs controls handle...You've pretty much got to use a certain level of tactics to survive. Hahaha

As bad as it sounds to a lot of ArmA players, I wish it was more arcade gamey in a couple of ways... That doesn't mean everyone should have to play that way, but it would be nice to have the options to make those kinds of game modes a bit easier.

I will be the first to point out my distaste for game modes like Life and even Wasteland, and Battle Royale, but I can't deny how popular they are and the recognition as well as numbers of new players they've brought to ArmA.

MY FAVORITE:

Personally my most favorite Game mode is King of the Hill (Hardcore[1st person only] Infantry Only) despite the fact that many call it "Too Arcade!"

I also agree with that assessment but no matter what, it has proven time and time again to be the one game mode that meets the most of my desires.

My time at home is short, so when I do get free time I don't want to have to spend 15 minutes waiting on my team to gear up, another 15min waiting for them to make a plan, and another 15min waiting for them to explain it to everyone before we can get started.

I also don't want to be tied to a fire team of idiots who Iike to drive straight into the enemy defense and get shot up over and over then punish me cause I refuse to go with them. It's for these simple reasons that I enjoy King of the Hill... I can play lone wolf or work together with my team/group, I can fly, drive, or shoot whenever I want without an obligation to do much else.

Sadly though, even King of the Hill (Hardcore) has begun to disappear for the (IMO) more gamey/easy mode 3rd person version. 8\

WHAT I'D LIKE TO SEE:

I have what I consider to be a pretty well laid out idea for an MP game mode that combines elements of King of the Hill with CTI, PlanetSide 2, and even some more arcade like games such as Battlefield. Rather than explain it now though, I'll wait till I get back to my computer so I can add some pictures. 

I'm curious to know though, if it would be possible to find some coders whom would be willing to try and make it happen for money. 

Across the board, I'd like to see a Vote Ban feature for all Official servers if one doesn't already exist. Say something like... 3hrs?

Something else I'd like to see is a MP lobby where me and my friends can link up and then all join a server at once as a group to keep from being split up. (I know that would require the server/game mode to recognize that feature though.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As tanks DLC is going to be the last big update of arma 3 I would like to see some MP game Modes Added to it.