Sign in to follow this  
sama

ADS textures

Hello

I need  help understanding how to create the ADS texture for multimaterial rvmat use with buildings. Do you bake them in modelling software or take the UV map and paint it in GIMP etc.?  I have succeeded in making and understanding the MC and MASK textures but ADS is my last hurdle.I have looked at the game supplied ADS maps but not sure how they are generated and what the colours used represent etc.Any help much appreciated.

Hi,
I've done a lot of ADS textures but I don't really know exactly the science behind that, however I was able to understand some steps I always follow and work very well.

Extracted from the BI documents, they said "_ADS - similar map like previous with difference that channel B (blue) keeps information about diffusion shadow. That one will be used when normal shadows aren't (either they off or too far). Green will have to be brighter to match the results AS would give you (~150%? ~40% gamma)."
I work with Blender to bake the Ambient Occlusion textures and Blender come with an option (I assume all programs have this kind of option) that let you bake with a FallOff and attenuation limits and basically I put into Blue channel the baked Ambient Occlusion texture without the FallOff option and with FallOff option into Green channel.
Later I understood what you will see in the game will be the following; you will see the shadows represented in Blue channel WHEN sunrays are directly illuminating that faces (for example, a rooftop of a building). And when sunrays can't illuminate some zones (for examples, the interior of a building) then shadows of green channel will be represented.

• Like 3

Thankyou mickey

I too use blender and will readup some tutorials on ao baking and try what you have described.So what you are saying is

1)bake once with falloff off and place in blue channel

2)bake with falloff on and place in green channel

What about red channel?

1)bake once with falloff off and place in blue channel

2)bake with falloff on and place in green channel

What about red channel?

Invert your order, Blue channel withOUT FallOff. Green channel with FallOff. Leave red channel white.

As a reference, here is an ADS texture from A3, you should get similar results:

Green channel:

eb486e5e795d92371e85e9e874aada14.png

Blue channel:

d6acb9afe6dc1fd3be197048817cb280.png

• Like 2

Why not include some AO in the MC map?  How is this method better than the traditional AS map?

So i worked it out .. i think :D ..is there a way to actually test the outcome in OB/BULLDOZER?  Should i  easily notice the effect of the ADS map? Seem to only really notice the shadow volume lod.

edit: so yeh there is a change ,i get some wierd black shadow projections on walls when the ADS is enabled in rvmat,so i guess i need to tweak the bake

Why not include some AO in the MC map?  How is this method better than the traditional AS map?

I apply some AO into MC map, it usually looks better and enhance the overall result instead of putting only the ADS map. So yes, you can do that and see how it looks. Technically I think the only difference is that meanwhile MC are colors overlap all multimaterial face, ADS will look depending on its current incident sunrays.

So i worked it out .. i think :D ..is there a way to actually test the outcome in OB/BULLDOZER?  Should i  easily notice the effect of the ADS map? Seem to only really notice the shadow volume lod.

edit: so yeh there is a change ,i get some wierd black shadow projections on walls when the ADS is enabled in rvmat,so i guess i need to tweak the bake

Simply run your Bulldozer in your OB, if all your address and links are good then it should appear as in the game.

Yes Shadow Volume LOD has to be present on the model otherwise ADS won't be represented.

As a reference, I made a "quick" tutorial introducing the magic behind multimaterial (subtitles are available in english) and more or less it explain some fundamental and basis about multimaterial, hope it helps a bit.