Damian90

Tanks DLC Feedback

I think the first point was brought up in the Tank DLC thread so rather than rehash the conversation here, it might be better to head over there.

Not sure if the second point has been discussed.

Regardless, I will nominate this thread for ‘longest subject matter/headline in BI forum history’

Good job!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I dont see any logic reason for varsuk commanders not being able to hold their rifles? Is it because the animator is so proud of the guy holding on with both hands to the hull that they skipped rifles because of this?

1 minute ago, meowcat said:

I dont see any logic reason for varsuk commanders not being able to hold their rifles? Is it because the animator is so proud of the guy holding on with both hands to the hull that they skipped rifles because of this?

Your posts have been moved to correct location, please search before posting.

3. Why is there no audio dampening when being in a tank? Some of the coaxial mgs are way too loud while the main gun sounds modest next to it (for a crew man in the tank, not turned out).

2 minutes ago, meowcat said:

3. Why is there no audio dampening when being in a tank? Some of the coaxial mgs are way too loud while the main gun sounds modest next to it (for a crew man in the tank, not turned out).

Are you using any mods? Or is this only Arma3 Vanilla? 

7 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Are you using any mods? Or is this only Arma3 Vanilla? 

Arma3, no mods.

The coaxial mgs and commander mgs sound like there is no audio shielding by the enclosed space. Crew inside the tank should only barely hear it.

Ds50mJ8.jpg

rTuLbbj.jpg

Not really Tank related, but DLC related ...

r5wFpmjh.jpg

I am unable to get at will in Editor an "Olive" camo on Syndikat 4WD LMG.

As it seems more or less random, I try to use ...

this setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false]; 

... it's not working.

An idea ?

Favorite is the Angara. Feels heavy. 
Tank i'm really quite surprised at is the Nyx. I went in thinking I would hate the thing but after playing the first mission in Altis Requiem I fell in love with it. Having to think tactically in it. Fight from a distance and position it well. Don't go toe to toe with anything that can take out a tank.

Vehicle handling is pretty cool. Tanks no longer feel weightless but big heavy vehicles. except the Kamiysh and Tigris. Is it just me or did the max speed of them get raised. I tell the driver to go slow and we go flying off at 60 km/h. At fast speed we at hitting 90. Seems to a bit to fast.

Campaign, I haven't finished it yet but quite enjoying it. First mission was great, I'm might just be a slow player but it took me about an hour. Sweeping the ridge lines with FLIR looking for movement. Finding a good position to shoot a top attack missle on a technical.

Another audio issue: When driving on paved roads, the varsuk emits a very noisy and deep rumbling that overpowers all other sounds and is very annoying

I'm doing something wrong or AWC 303 AT missiles really have this annoying issue?
When i shoot in a tank, even in the VR, missile cant reach the target. The missile path is too low and aways hit the ground.

Anyone have an workaround?

43 minutes ago, flymaker said:

I'm doing something wrong or AWC 303 AT missiles really have this annoying issue?
When i shoot in a tank, even in the VR, missile cant reach the target. The missile path is too low and aways hit the ground.

Anyone have an workaround?

Your target must have an active IR signature that you can lock on to.  They are not SACLOS.

1 hour ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Your target must have an active IR signature that you can lock on to.  They are not SACLOS.

I know that.
I press T to lock. Lock happen as well
Shoot. Missile hit the ground. This happen in a flat terrain, can you imagine what happen in a little elevated terrain? It is less than 50% the chance of success

Hum, I just realized I didn't say anything else than complain :down:

Congrats to BIS for this last DLC though, it's a nice fine pice of work!

I just hope we can use the range finder without the FCS.

Maybe bind the FCS to the "lock" key instead of the "range finder" key?

Also, in french, the hint says to use FCS, press "lock" whereas it is the "rangefinder" key

When i switch from commander seat to gunner seat i can't swap from the main gun to the coax, so for fire with the coax or just to use an MG vs infantry... i've to be in the commander seat and let the dumb AI manage the threat, which use to end bad as the AI don't uses the coaxs or MGs as they're meant to be; not sure if it's my remaping of the keys or if it's a thing with the tanks.

*EDIT: I've found a way to switch from main gun to coax as gunner; using the 1, 2, keys. But i change weapons and fire mode (and it works as commander from main gun to coax and back and from Single Fire to Full Auto) with the Num Pad 0, i'd remapped it there as i use the arrow keys instead the damn w,a,s,z, method that i hate. But have it there doesn't work... so i've to go to the other side of the keyboard to switch from main gun to coax.

Edited by wipman

Loved the DLC, got all gold in challenges, campaign is OK... but Rhino is a disappointment mainly due to inability to quickly GTFO after engaging a target.

Is Rhino MGS (Mobile Gun System) supposed to be THIS slow? In terms of acceleration it is completely terrible. It makes much more sense to use a freaking tracked Kamysh as hit and run vehicle because Rhino is so damn slow, especially off-road.

10 minutes ago, Vidikk said:

Loved the DLC, got all gold in challenges, campaign is OK... but Rhino is a disappointment mainly due to inability to quickly GTFO after engaging a target.

Is Rhino MGS (Mobile Gun System) supposed to be THIS slow? In terms of acceleration it is completely terrible. It makes much more sense to use a freaking tracked Kamysh as hit and run vehicle because Rhino is so damn slow, especially off-road.

+1

And very weak.

Usually, 1 hit kills

50 minutes ago, Wiki said:

+1

And very weak.

Usually, 1 hit kills

Basically, I was expecting a fast and agile "glass cannon"
Instead I got weak slow 3 seat Gorgon with 120 mm cannon on it.

I mean it's completely fine for an UP version to be slower but "light" Rhino should accelerate much faster to even earn its place on the battlefield. (by faster I mean offroad traversal and hill climbs)
Everything is IMO of course, maybe devs are aiming for some IRL accuracy or something like that.

On the A164 when I fire a scalpel or DAGR, I see the missile turn towards the target and then veer off completely after about a second, hitting nothing. I've tried flying at 1500-3500m with atleast 2km range to target and get less than 20% accuracy. I've tried it with laser on and off, locking with the solid box or not and the results are always the same. These weapons were very precise and before anyone tells me that missile flight physics have changed, I am aware, I see the missile turn towards the target so I am giving it plenty of room. Am I missing something or is this a glitch? 

On 16.4.2018 at 4:44 PM, Vidikk said:

Basically, I was expecting a fast and agile "glass cannon"
Instead I got weak slow 3 seat Gorgon with 120 mm cannon on it.

I mean it's completely fine for an UP version to be slower but "light" Rhino should accelerate much faster to even earn its place on the battlefield. (by faster I mean offroad traversal and hill climbs)
Everything is IMO of course, maybe devs are aiming for some IRL accuracy or something like that.

To some extend, I prefer high fidelity in battlefield simulation...from physics POV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1128_Mobile_Gun_System

I assume that the general concept of the Rhino shiuld be based on the M1128.

If BIS would state general baseline parameter of the simulated items like engine power, overall weight etc, we could better guess if the behavior is properly simulated.

A vehicle with a power/weight ratio of 14 hp/ton won't climp a steep hill as fast as a monkey on crack.

Also acceleration on flat terrain is in easy to calculate with such a ratio.

That is something that is wrong simulated anyway for so many vehicles in A3, wheeled and tracked. Most of them are far to fast uphill or on bumpy surface.

Cannons on wheels are not necessarily faster in the wild, they are faster at street where a M1A2 would be limited by the physics of tracks.

9 minutes ago, Rogue Shadow said:

Driving cars is now aids, it handles like a tank, why... fix this 

I personally have no issues with cars, are you turning with keys or the mouse? Also maybe check your keybinds. Also are you using any mods? Is this happening in single player or multiplayer? More information is needed to diagnose the issues you are experiencing.

9 hours ago, The Man Without Qualities said:

If BIS would state general baseline parameter of the simulated items like engine power, overall weight etc

Rhino
* 600kW
* 3000 Nm @ 1600 RPM
* 2400 max. RPM
* 6 gears, 1 rev.; drive ratios: 5.7, 3.1, 2.4, 1.72, 1.20, 0.82; final drive 4.8
As u can see it's quite buffed when compared to its African real-life inspiration :)

3 hours ago, Rogue Shadow said:

Driving cars is now aids, it handles like a tank, why... fix this 

(from https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/8chjks/please_stop_changing_car_driving_mechanics/dxgwsto/?context=3)
We've changed the way the PhysX surfaces are set up.

The goal has been to

-> have a bigger difference between driving on surfaces like tarmac and concrete, dirt roads and loose gravel, grassy fields or sand

-> make driving off-road authentically more difficult, mainly for wheeled vehicles

-> allow vehicles to slide along objects like guiderails (instead dead stopping on them like before)

-> allow powersliding and drifting

-> let users utilize maximum accelerating and braking power the vehicle has (and provide full extent of it to users with analog controllers) - that includes an ability to lock the wheels, slide and loose control over the vehicle direction - feather the applied braking power by tapping the key

Namely Hatchback Sport is one of the few vehicles whose driving model has been completely overhauled. It's goal was to take it - from what formerly was almost a drag-racing hatchback with insane top speed - to something closer to the WRC cars, respecting specs of such breed. https://twitter.com/ondrejkuzel/status/959928121737826307

However, based on the recent feedback we're getting, we'll make some changes :)

• Like 1

Just a very very very minor nitpick:

Why is the Rhino listed as an APC, but the Nyx is listed as a tank? Neither one carries infantry. Neither one is a main battle tank. They are both armored fighting vehicles... maybe they should do like earlier Armas and just combine everything into "armored", after all, the tanks category is not very full. It would basically be the APC category + 1 AA vehicle, and 1-3 tanks (NATO: Slammer/Slammer Up; CSAT: Varsuuk, Angara, Angara K, AAF: Kuma, Nyx variants)

Well, I believed it's all about the Tracks and the fact that the tiny "tankette" is a bit unclassifiable :don16: