Sign in to follow this  
Prospero

Zero thickness objects and transparancy issues...

Hi all,

A couple of questions for those with experience of these things:

1) I've only played around with O2 a little so far - so this is going to be a (very) naive question. I was just making some solid colour textures - just 256 x 256 blocks of blue, green etc. - but when I check the model out in game or in O2 viewer, the textures come out semi-transparent. What dumb mistake am I making? By the way, to make the texture in the first place I just save a block of colour as a .jpg in PSP4 and then convert it to .paa with Texview.

2) What's the method to make a zero thickness object viewable from _both_ sides?

Cheers,

Prospero

1. paa are the textures with alpha channels so if there is no alpha channel in your texture it might set whole thing at 50% transparent. Use .pac instead

2. Highlight you 4 vertexes. F6 will set up a one way face. Notice on bottom it says 4 points 1 face. Press F6 again and you will set up a 2 sided face.

Many thanks Scousejedi.

A quick follow-up question: I just tried saving my textures as .pac rather than .paa files in Texview. When I do so, Texview creates a file called <texturename>.pac - but from checking its properties, one sees that it is still a .paa file.

I.e. it is actually being saved as <texturename>.pac.paa

Blimey...

Prospero

I get that too Prospero. What you can do however, is to manually edit your alpha channels. I don't know how you do it in PSP, but look around the web for tutorials. And also, you should save your textures as .GIF or .TGA, not JPG. Even though TexView can handle JPG that particular format does not save alpha channels.

Thanks KTottE:)

Well I'm sitting here this morning running through this stuff and having a glass of wine (yes, very bad, I know).

Next stoopid question from me: Sometimes I select four vertices and press F6 to create a face from them, but no face is created!

Go on, tell me what I'm doing wrong...

Prospero

I've come across that from time to time too. Are these four vertexes sharing an axis?

Like they are all on 0 on the Z, X or Y axis?

Otherwise the face won't be flat, it will be concave or convex, and O2 won't have that.

Am I making any sense to your drunken brain?

It seems to happen when axes are being shared. So let's say I have placed four vertices and made a face from that. Then I place another two vertices to create another plane (one axis is shared) - and the bloody thing won't make a face!

Not quite addled yet, but getting there;)

Prospero