bad benson

Raptors, Zombies and more!

Raptors

modules to spawn hostile dinosaurs with a lot of options

cYLQEN6.png

i'm making a new thread because this turned into a standalone thing and there is some potential other things coming using this as a base. i'm trying to keep things simple and clean to be able to maintain this with not much effort. this is like a remake and not a full blown new dino mod with a bunch of other dinos coming, so please don't ask for a t-rex or any other new creatures.

this is just a recreation of the old features in a, hopefully, better way.

what i plan to add (potentially maybe) is other hostile creatures that take almost no extra effort. like aggressive dogs (good for post-apocalyptic stuff) and maybe some prey animals that we have models and anims available for already like a wild boar (for some potential hunting gameplay). oh and zombies of course. everybody loves zombies.

features:

- modules to dynamically spawn raptors all around you or in fixed locations

- countless options to make this as flexible as possible for mission makers

- raptors adapt to terrain slope now which looks better and also keeps them from killing themselves

what is different compared to the old Jurassic Arma addon?

- this doesn't include player controlled raptors, for that use the old addon

- raptors can now only be spawned using the modules, there are however placeable raptors (without AI), if anyone needs them for something

- some things have been removed or are done in a more simple/clean way but i tried to keep this as close to the original experience as possible (minus the bugs)

- tweaked materials to make them stick out less

known issues:

- raptors may get stuck if they are on VERY steep slopes

- raptors sometimes fall unconscious near vehicles (investigating)

- raptors currently only attack cars but no other vehicles (will be fixed in the next version)

credits:

Ruppertle: for his awesome raptor models, textures and animations

Bad Benson: modules, AI routines, screen effects

teacup: awesome zombie animations made for arma 1

zombie idle sounds: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8u3AQj1Ac"

google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y0VNgK9JXiR0J2ZXlXUWwzS1k/view?usp=sharing

steam

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=781602313

screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/ijD5bVV.jpg

http://imgur.com/0tIJlvA

videos:

this version is kind of early so let's call it like beta 0.1. it's quite fleshed out but i haven't done extensive testing. just gave it to some people to see, if it works at all and stuff.

• Like 25

I would have never thought that one day I would be able to hunt raptors in New York City with a few mouseclicks :P great work

Congrats on the release BB -awesome work.

(Sorry I wasn't more help with the testing-things are crazy here)

Another cracker mate, thanks for the work. Quick little play in the jungle, very tense so much so that you see me running like the wind when my poor AI get into trouble.

• Like 9

great video man. going to add it to the first post if you don't mind.

• Like 1

Another cracker mate, thanks for the work. Quick little play in the jungle, very tense so much so that you see me running like the wind when my poor AI get into trouble.

The sutff of nightmares.

Any plans to release a mission?

Looks great, and looking forward to what may come from this! Some aggressive dogs would definitely benefit post-apocalyptic scenarios :) Now I'm just thinking out loud, but would it be possible to add a death scream/cry of pain when attacked/killed by a raptor? Just watched jeza's cool vid, and thought how much cooler it would've been if you heard that when the raptors took out his AI buddies. Thoughts?

btw. i encourage everyone to read through all the module settings and try some combinations and maybe share some interesting set ups. also of course ask if something is unclear. i currently don't have the motivation to make a full blown readme so i tried to make the tooltips as self explainatory as possible.

if you don't like the screeneffect you can set its size to 0 in the module. also good for screenshots.

later i might add an additional setting that allows you to make a wave survival mode with just one module. you can already set them to auto aggro and handle respawn time to clear out areas temporarily but i still need to add something to handle real waves.

not sure yet. i might handle that mission side. we'll see.

Looks great, and looking forward to what may come from this! Some aggressive dogs would definitely benefit post-apocalyptic scenarios :) Now I'm just thinking out loud, but would it be possible to add a death scream/cry of pain when attacked/killed by a raptor? Just watched jeza's cool vid, and thought how much cooler it would've been if you heard that when the raptors took out his AI buddies. Thoughts?

oh yea totally. i just need to collect some good ones. i got rid of the original sounds for now because, while awesome, they were the same sound everytime. i kind of wanted to just have a pool of sounds for everything so it feels more organic and is potentially usable for any future creature.

• Like 1

You want screaming ? Ashamed to say... that's me screaming like a girl !

• Like 2

you can make them weaker by changing the damage setting.

Yeah sorry this was recorded before the latest release.

all good. no need to apologize. just letting you and everyone else know. as i said i encourage everyone to discuss settings and stuff here so we can organically create a resource for alternative set ups. the default settings are set up in a way that you can quickly test them out in the editor.

i could make a readme later but the tooltips should make sense. i'm open to suggestions in terms of wording and stuff.

also worth noting. the amount of local modules that is advisable has not really been tested yet. so if you happen to go crazy and find a limit in terms of performance, please share your findings here.

So here is a very very simple line defense with parameters at the start, to get them further way I would suggest put two bits of human 'bait' out there say 100m away, then another 100m away that way they can emerge out of the fog toward your line or something like that at least. 

• Like 3

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey badbenson , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

this would be how i would quickly set up what Jeza described. no bait needed. just a matter of settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y0VNgK9JXibWMxbEVCTExrTEk/view?usp=sharing

i also tweaked some settings like sound probability (defo need to reduce that as default setting) and made them easier to kill.

the key here is making certain radius settings high enough and setting them on auto aggro. i also set the respawn time pretty high so it could somewhat work liek a wave mode. add revive, a lose condition when all players are dead or down and maybe an arsenal box to this and you got yourself a little game mode.

i will try to optimise these kind fo set ups in the future so that it only calculates what is really needed.

• Like 1

Really neat addon! Have you considered editing the models in any way? Dromaeosaurids had plumage and looked more like this.

Really neat addon! Have you considered editing the models in any way? Dromaeosaurids had plumage and looked more like this.

nah sorry. i like them naked personally but the reason i can't add a feather one as a variation (which i'd like too) is that i don't have full access to the source. ruppertle doesn't have a full fbx anymore so i can't really add anything without having to do weighting in o2, which you'd have to put a gun to my head to make me do.

when we were working on the original addon i had been making some new dino models with cleaner topography ready for sculpting nice detail and stuff but i never had the time nor motivation to make the animations and stuff for them.

i would've loved to redo the UVs on this raptor to make a proper normal map from highpoly without stretching and stuff but that is also not possible without full source. the model itself and the animations are pretty amazing though. so would be a waste to not use them even, if i had more models with full access.

if people would provide a full model with the needed animations perfectly set up for import i'd totally make variations of this but guiding someone through it or doing it myself is just too much work. at least when you're the one doing all the code too.

i might attempt this later but who knows. it all depends on having a nice and smooth pipeline because otherwise it's a trial and error nightmare. typical arma stuff.

• Like 2

Lovely fellows, badbenson! As always, astonishing work to bring something innovative to the Armaverse!

You have my vote, Mr. Benson! :D

• Like 1

Hey Benson, been playing this with a couple of friends on Tanoa and at night or day these things are terrifying. We are running into one issue however being that a majority of them seem to lay down and play dead. Out of the 15 set to spawn it seems only 1-2 or even none at all and the rest just play dead on the floor and jump up and attack when you run into them. Any idea if that is a module setting problem or is it out of player control and is a bug?

Thanks for the mod though, it's beautifully terrifying.

*Edit*

This was done with the spawn around player module.

*Edit again*

My friend tried messing with their line of sight in-game and apparently when they went out of the line of sight with the player, they would lay down. Whether by building or even slight foliage I think such as small bushes, possibly grass?

@khaosmatical: first of all. ACE involved or not? ther is definately an issue with falling unconscious most likely caused by the animation config. however, i myself i'm barely running into that issue and i have the feeling it happens more with ACE for whatever reason.

just wondering, definately need to find out what is causing it either way. this is quite early though. so no worries. i'm sure i'll find a fix.

anyways. update coming in fast. 

- now with zombies

- damage coef now fully functional (old code was a brain fart)

- fixed: Raptors only attack vehicles of type "Car" but not static weapons and any other, they will now attack everyhing including tanks but will only deal damage if the vehicle is fragile enough

- fixed: Raptors would not realise a vehicle is empty and keep attacking it

• Like 10

@khaosmatical: first of all. ACE involved or not? ther is definately an issue with falling unconscious most likely caused by the animation config. however, i myself i'm barely running into that issue and i have the feeling it happens more with ACE for whatever reason.

just wondering, definately need to find out what is causing it either way. this is quite early though. so no worries. i'm sure i'll find a fix.

anyways. update coming in fast. 

- now with zombies

- damage coef now fully functional (old code was a brain fart)

- fixed: Raptors only attack vehicles of type "Car" but not static weapons and any other, they will now attack everyhing including tanks but will only deal damage if the vehicle is fragile enough

- fixed: Raptors would not realise a vehicle is empty and keep attacking it

No ACE at all, even while running it just on it's own the issue occurred.

• Like 1