Grombald

US unit identification markings for vehicles

Hi people,

i'm trying to figure out appropiate unit identification markings for my Tropic Vehicle Textures Mod.

The US units structure is kind of confusing so i'd like to ask what you tink what unit markings (not the chevron, the ID like 4GP-S-HQ-2) would be appropiate for MRAPS, trucks, APCs, MBTs and artillery deployed to Tanoa.

I also don't know how sensitive members of the US army are to improper use of their unit designations...

Maybe using currently inactive units like the 10th army that was deployed in the pacific region in WW2 or fictional-units would be better. Who knows what structure the US Army has in 20 years.

Most markings would be readable so they should be formally correct according to TB 43-0209 (i would also like to know if the version from the 10/31/1990 of TB 43-0209 is still valid).

Cheers,

Grombald

Thing is, isn't it NATO forces in Tanoa? I think they wouldn't have the same unit markings as the US army, could be wrong though

Not entirely sure what you're asking, are you curious about actual unit ID for the vehicles like 82nd Airborne or 10th Mountain, or the marking system for things like platoon/section symbols?
As a Marine, we typically mark vehicles with the usual chevron + line(s) inside, but you'd never see us put anything like our actual unit on the side of the vehicle, like 3/1 or anything of the sort - it's not relevant.
I don't know how the Army does things, but that's just my $.02

In germany we usually add Markings on the front and rear with the system:

Platoon - NATO Joint Military Symbology - Company

Example:

t9iBocvNBoHi7UcvFsgzmO7pc1OBVc1j7V.jpg

@ generalkong: Right, but all troops despite CTRG are wearing uniforms with US flags on them and so can be considered to be US troops. It stands to reason that all their vehicles are also US. What ever BIS had in mind when they called the US forces NATO forces, they didn't tell. Maybe they planned it to be some sort of joint forces and had a reason not to. They also planned to make a RCWS and mortar version of the Marshall...

@ jaaxxxxon: I mean the unit marking, should be on the bumper or on the hull in the front and back, often split into a left and right part. Do you know if the army uses the chevron to?

In the end it is never mentioned ingame what military branch the US forces belong to (though the forces on Altis belong to the 7th Mechanized Brigade, 111th Infantry Division, both seem to be fictional). The only resources I found about markings on US forces vehicles are from the army.

@ Eagle: I know, I'm German. Though the US forces usually don't seem to use tactical symbols on their vehicles.

Yeah I'm infantry so I don't really mess around with vehicles, but I don't recall seeing any unit markings on CAAT or transport vics. I'd probably ask someone who's a tanker or something if you want USMC-specific details but you've already said you're doing army stuff so... I'd take everything I said with a grain of salt hehehe

Are you talking about bumper numbers or registration numbers? I've got some pictures from an NTC rotation circa 2011 with cav bumper numbers if you're interested. The numbers on the driver's side are the company/troop name and platoon/truck ID. So for that first image, it's B troop, 92. 92 is a little weird because it was our troop's fister truck. The HQ platoon and mortars used it. But you can see better examples behind it and in the second picture. B 15 for example. B troop, 1st platoon, 5 truck. On the Truck Commander's side you've got the unit identifier. The 1 and triangle is for the 1st Armored Division. 1-13 stands for 1st Squadron, 13th Cavalry Regiment.

http://imgur.com/3ACUw8T

http://imgur.com/9DnglbR

As for using bumper numbers and unit numbers, it might be a good idea to use an inactive unit just to head off any potential butthurt. Hope this helps!