bis_iceman

Possible fix for the "3 FPS Drop" Issue

Just now, domokun said:

@redarmy Submitting a scenario helps devs because reproducing bugs often takes far more time than it takes to correct them.

As for BF4, you've either got poor memory or selective memory because when BF4 was released it suffered from poor peformance for almost year before Dice released a patch that addressed the problems.

No-one is questioning you voicing disappointment. On the contrary, your analysis seems to show promise. That's why people have shown interest and courtesy when they could have ignored you or even been rude.

However I'd loose that sense of entitlement, as it'll get you nowhere.

There is no sense of entitlement in my post.

I posted to show my findings,as limited and maybe even as useless as they may prove,im doing all i can to help narrow down the issue.Thats what my post was about.As outlined in the symptoms i experience when the issue happens for me,and the instances the bug does not occur.I have even tried multiple Allocators,changed settings on my PC to reduce audio quality and many other things,then spent hours upon hours in the editor,testing...in that entire time i never once came to the forums to voice my dissapointment.

I dont have selective memory,BF4 was a disaster,its why i came to Arma(a good thing) but in those instances the game was playable to a degree.For months now i cannot get through a single session in Arma3.

I will take both of your advice and submit a vanilla mission to BIS,but please do not misunderstand my intention here,i am not brow beating BIS,i love Arma3 and respect BIS for the practices in the gaming world in general,but i beleive more could be done and more communication could be out there from the devs.

• Like 1

I understand your frustration red. And I too have noticed this bug /crash happen centering around explosions. 

two times recently.one using he nade rounds one guy got it..  another  I was flying a ka near a mine field on a mp server.  using the cannons I set off the mines surrounding an objective.  Que fps splash then a crash for me. 

I am looking at the possibility of anti aliasing cause. I have lowered fsaa to x4.  no memory error crashing or fps bug in two days rigorous testing on both Dev and stable single player,editor, mp.

Perhaps Try this first adjusting the Fsaa x4.

But also testing to see if by using nvidia control or amd panel to use on armas exe override armas own anti aliasing settings has any effect. 

Hope it helps.

3 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

I understand your frustration red. And I too have noticed this bug /crash happen centering around explosions. 

two times recently.one using he nade rounds one guy got it..  another  I was flying a ka near a mine field on a mp server.  using the cannons I set off the mines surrounding an objective.  Que fps splash then a crash for me. 

I am looking at the possibility of anti aliasing cause. I have lowered fsaa to x4.  no memory error crashing or fps bug in two days rigorous testing on both Dev and stable single player,editor, mp.

Perhaps Try this first adjusting the Fsaa x4.

But also testing to see if by using nvidia control or amd panel to use on armas exe override armas own anti aliasing settings has any effect. 

Hope it helps.

I have in all my testing,put Arma3 on lowest settings...and that means,REALLY REALLY LOW.

FSAA off and textures reduced to high

particles to low

shadows OFF

view distance 1000 OBJ dis 700....you get the point.I have had view distances set higher and i spend time dropping artillery HE 120mm a KM away for a long time to test the theory that it may be distant sounds causing it.

Still testing and i will look at Nvidia card settings as you said,but i usually run Arma3 through its native settings(APP controlled)

4 hours ago, redarmy said:

I have in all my testing,put Arma3 on lowest settings...and that means,REALLY REALLY LOW.

FSAA off and textures reduced to high

particles to low

shadows OFF

view distance 1000 OBJ dis 700....you get the point.I have had view distances set higher and i spend time dropping artillery HE 120mm a KM away for a long time to test the theory that it may be distant sounds causing it.

Still testing and i will look at Nvidia card settings as you said,but i usually run Arma3 through its native settings(APP controlled)

@redarmy 

there is some cumulative component

I have done some attempts at repro, I cannot get it to occur before about 250,000-300,000 frames (diag_frameNo), and cannot get it to occur in SP/Editor. I suspect distant explosions and echoes merely push the memory usage over the edge.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

@redarmy 

there is some cumulative component

I have done some attempts at repro, I cannot get it to occur before about 250,000-300,000 frames (diag_frameNo), and cannot get it to occur in SP/Editor. I suspect distant explosions and echoes merely push the memory usage over the edge.

Are distant sounds normally heavy on memory usage?

It is odd how the issue started around the distant sound update a while back.

In any case,i have a particular scenario,which i have been constantly play testing for balance issues in recent weeks.In each balance test,the bug occurs from5-20 minutes.I am going to replace all IFVs with APCs,eliminating the sounds source for explosions that IFVs auto cannons emit on a burst fire,and take out AT/TANKS remove grenades from infantry.And continue testing.

Im suprised you do not have the issue in SP editor.Try placing a unit to play as and disable damage,jump into a jet and have it not able to recieve damage also,then place some BTR kamish on map,fly low ALT and let them hit you.If you dont get the FPS to drop after 5 or so minutes i will be suprised.I run this particular test every time i change a significant setting on Arma or my PC to see if some change improves conditions or makes it worse.

I've not been motivated to play for some time due to this issue. Joined a unit OP on Sunday for the first time in months and boom. Crashed out with normal 3fps bug after 30-40 mins of play. For me this has been an issue since 1.60. Frustrating as the game has improved in so many other ways.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, redarmy said:

Are distant sounds normally heavy on memory usage?

It is odd how the issue started around the distant sound update a while back.

In any case,i have a particular scenario,which i have been constantly play testing for balance issues in recent weeks.In each balance test,the bug occurs from5-20 minutes.I am going to replace all IFVs with APCs,eliminating the sounds source for explosions that IFVs auto cannons emit on a burst fire,and take out AT/TANKS remove grenades from infantry.And continue testing.

Im suprised you do not have the issue in SP editor.Try placing a unit to play as and disable damage,jump into a jet and have it not able to recieve damage also,then place some BTR kamish on map,fly low ALT and let them hit you.If you dont get the FPS to drop after 5 or so minutes i will be suprised.I run this particular test every time i change a significant setting on Arma or my PC to see if some change improves conditions or makes it worse.

I know you said you were planning on it, but why not immediately submit this scenario to Developement and let the experts of the engine figure the cause out? If it constantly has this problem, I think sending the file exactly as it is with repro steps could help a lot.

11 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I know you said you were planning on it, but why not immediately submit this scenario to Developement and let the experts of the engine figure the cause out? If it constantly has this problem, I think sending the file exactly as it is with repro steps could help a lot.

I will be sending it as soon as im back at the rig mate

I play Arma 3 now on 2 different Systems i never get a fps bug, but my friends always gets this the fix doesnt fix it

with this 3 fps bug it become really not playable game anymore. I am having it almost every day at least once

Or take a look at their Sitrep. It's a big issue, BIS are working to find out the issue. Sigh.

Though, i remember a time back in BETA when my squad played from Morning to nightfall on a single server without a slight bit of lag. Now, i can't join a server without getting kicked 20 times by steam check before getting in, and then depending on what happens, the 3FPS glitch happens. But, i usually get the FPS glitch when explosives and vehicles are involved, i mainly play Exile/Wasteland, so i don't know what could be causing this drastic degradation of performance from back in the day.

• Like 1

I have been getting this issue for the past 2 weeks now, I feel sorry for the people who have had it for months but I had never heard of this problem until recently when it started to happen to me. It was only when I did a search and came across this thread that I realised many others are having this issue. Since I'm late to the show it would be pointless of me to follow the instruction from page 1 as it seems it does not work so I'm going to add what the trouble is that I have in game.

I mainly only play King Of The Hill and Wasteland and I can tell you this bug doesn't happen with Wasteland for me, it always happens with King Of The Hill. When I get on a server I have no problems but it always starts around the 20 minute mark and then the game will stutter getting 4fps. I have tried to wait it out and sometimes it will pass and I think to myself "oh it's fixed" until I die and then click respawn then my game crashes altogether and I have to quit. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks on a daily basis and I have no idea what it is but I hope they fix it soon but looking at the length of time it has been going on I don't hold out much hope.

It is very annoying and people are right, it is getting to the point where it's unplayable, I mean it has got to the point for me where I just don't seem interested in playing King Of The Hill anymore because I know what is about to happen. Please fix this issue and do not release anything else until it is fixed.

• Like 1

The worst part about this bug is it's the hardest type of bug to trouble shoot, an intermittent one. I've have however noticed a few patterns.

1: I've never gotten it on the editor or campaign.

2: It doesn't happen on every server I play on.

3: Often, but not always, occurs when I'm in a vehicle. 

4: Random things like pausing, aborting, disconnecting, dying, or even taking a screenshot have fixed it for me.

5: Occasionally I can wait it out, and when I do I get a message that some config or file couldn't be loaded or found.

This probably isn't much help, but I figured I may as well share what I know.

Edited by RangerOfTheOrder

5: Occasionally I can wait it out, and when I do I get a message that some config or file couldn't be loaded or found.

Should keep track of those and upload.

However, i believe i got something very similar to the 3FPS glitch in Editor, but briefly. Spawned a CUP Mi-24D, took off, was flying after destroying a castle on Chernarus about 4-5 mins in, and my game stuttered and hit a fluid 8-10 FPS, and then resumed 40+ in a few seconds. Not sure if it's related, but felt similar. Remember that when the FPS glitch occurs, all textures and animations die. This could be important.

I can confirm that I always get it on the Eden editor, I primarily play single player missions with a large mod set (ACE, RHS etc.) but focused on Alive mod. After about an hour I will start to get the 3 FPS bug. I have been getting it for a long time, a few months ago I thought it was specifically related to Alive due to all the spawning and/or ghost spawning of entities, then I thought it was related to the RHS Bradly's cannon and Mil Mi 24 Gatling gun as incoming fire from them seemed to trigger it but I no longer think that is true.

In terms of recovering from the the 3 FPS bug I've found that every time I've recovered the issue has reoccurred shortly thereafter (approximately 10 minutes or less after recovering). 

As my mission does not work on Dev branch I can't test it but there is a marked improvement in performance with 64bit for especially when flying with large view distances. I have personally not yet experienced the 3 FPS bug on Dev branch.   

On 2/19/2017 at 10:46 PM, Danny84 said:

I have been getting this issue for the past 2 weeks now, I feel sorry for the people who have had it for months but I had never heard of this problem until recently when it started to happen to me. It was only when I did a search and came across this thread that I realised many others are having this issue. Since I'm late to the show it would be pointless of me to follow the instruction from page 1 as it seems it does not work so I'm going to add what the trouble is that I have in game.

I mainly only play King Of The Hill and Wasteland and I can tell you this bug doesn't happen with Wasteland for me, it always happens with King Of The Hill. When I get on a server I have no problems but it always starts around the 20 minute mark and then the game will stutter getting 4fps. I have tried to wait it out and sometimes it will pass and I think to myself "oh it's fixed" until I die and then click respawn then my game crashes altogether and I have to quit. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks on a daily basis and I have no idea what it is but I hope they fix it soon but looking at the length of time it has been going on I don't hold out much hope.

It is very annoying and people are right, it is getting to the point where it's unplayable, I mean it has got to the point for me where I just don't seem interested in playing King Of The Hill anymore because I know what is about to happen. Please fix this issue and do not release anything else until it is fixed.

Many of us have had it since June 2016

Would this issue by any chance be related to the recent issue where the game derenders completely and then re renders up to 200 meters then stops. causing massive lag? This had not start happening for me and my community until the "Dynamic Simulation" update

I'm not an expert on this topic what so ever , but from reading all possible things of what could be causing it ( memory , sound ) i just switched 2 thing around in settings  and i have not had the problem anymore since then.

So what did i do :  1 ) Switch my memory allocator to windows system in additional parameters . 2) in audio option in game i dropped my sound sources to 80 .

I honestly didn't do more search in to or did more testing .

I can't guarantee if this works for you , but i guess you can try this if you're still looking for a fix.

if there havnt been any advancements on this, if this issue is related to the issue where the game memory leaks and the game derenders and tries and 80% fails to rerender it started happening when they changed the rendering system (Dynamic render update) on the wide scale. I have noticed things render and derender while looking around in circles. This is very inconvienent as it taxes systems more than simply leaving it there. some people might like it but they should at least make the old rendering optional in the video settings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LykosMactire said:

This is very inconvienent as it taxes systems more than simply leaving it there. some people might like it but they should at least make the old rendering optional in the video settings.

Have you not tried the 64bit.exe yet?

You're on a 32bit OS aren't you? And your hard drive is an old platter drive?

Need system specs dude.

47 minutes ago, kridian said:

Have you not tried the 64bit.exe yet?

You're on a 32bit OS aren't you? And your hard drive is an old platter drive?

Need system specs dude.

I have tried it but regardless it is still an issue that needs to be fixed. As some people are stuck playing x32 because the mods they play (OPTRE for example) have issues running on the x64 build. And lets just say it is not easy to tell someone to stop playing one of their favorite mods. I don't need to post my system specs because they are irrelevant to the points i made as i am not speaking only for myself but im speaking for other players i have come across who get this issue. And please realize you are being very negative and harassing people simply because they do not post their specs. Calling things without understanding it. While i do admit i use x32 it is simply to play the mods that make arma fun for me. As the case with many x64 OS users on x32 ArmA at this moment. And the dev teams of these mods cant simply push a hot fix when what is causing it is something that shouldnt have been an issue in the first place.