bis_iceman

Possible fix for the "3 FPS Drop" Issue

Didn't work. Got the 3fps bug on both the default malloc and system malloc.... sigh

That sucks but does it seem like performance has improved or that the 3 fps bug is occurring after longer gaming sessions than it did previously?

It does actually. I'm not quite sure why that's the case. But like I said, my ram and pagefile reached higher levels before the 3fps bug "triggered."

• Like 1

My performance seems pretty good with the new build and I've left the default malloc files in place for now. I just finished a 2 hour SP session (still playing the Pirog campaign) and I didn't experience the 3 fps bug. It seems that BIS might be on the right track as things seem to be getting better but apparently they aren't quite there yet with squashing this particular bug.

I'll agree with that. With the new 1.66 I was able to run missions much longer before getting the 3fps bug. I think mine happened aroumd 2:30-3 hours into gameplay. Not solved, but an improvement.

• Like 1

I'm getting actual low memory errors after the 1.66 as I posted here in more detail.

Is this related to the FPS issue?

Another forum member directed me to this post, but this doesn't sound related to what I'm seeing on my end.

I believe this issue arises from game sounds. This is how I normally fix it without restarting and I showcase the bug a little showing you how I reproduced it. Normally this bug happens to me when a Blackfish with Gunners is constantly firing. http://plays.tv/video/585e48637db55e77ee/believe-bug-for-3fps-glitch-with-arma-3-comes-from-sounds-game-heres-why-normally-when-have-bug-turn

• Like 1

When my fps drops down to around 5 fps, my games memory usage is always at 3.2 gb of memory. Anything lower than that is fine. Hope this helps.

Are there any news regarding this very annoying issue? Is there a way to provide any debugging information?

On 12/30/2016 at 11:19 AM, Sebbo94 said:

Are there any news regarding this very annoying issue? Is there a way to provide any debugging information?

I have to say I'm really disappointed in how quiet BI has been on this problem considering how serious it is. The only way I'm able to play Arma anymore is using a borrowed half-broken PC which is complete crap in every way except that it happens not to have this problem while my main PC does. If I didn't have access to this second PC I would have been completely unable to play Arma for the last four or so months now, which is unacceptable. I would have asked for my money back if the game wasn't already four years old; as it is I just don't know what to think. But the least BI could do is give us some information on the problem, let us know how we can help, or at least continue to assure us they're working on it. Complete radio silence isn't very reassuring for those of us who are SOL.

• Like 2

If you read the 64bit exe thread in this very same forum it might alleviate your worries..

On 06/01/2017 at 1:48 AM, elephant said:

I have to say I'm really disappointed in how quiet BI has been on this problem considering how serious it is. The only way I'm able to play Arma anymore is using a borrowed half-broken PC which is complete crap in every way except that it happens not to have this problem while my main PC does. If I didn't have access to this second PC I would have been completely unable to play Arma for the last four or so months now, which is unacceptable. I would have asked for my money back if the game wasn't already four years old; as it is I just don't know what to think. But the least BI could do is give us some information on the problem, let us know how we can help, or at least continue to assure us they're working on it. Complete radio silence isn't very reassuring for those of us who are SOL.

I wouldn't say complete radio silence?? It would be an slight effort to trawl but it's definitely there in the memory issues and spot reps. That and the whole 64 bit thread really.

Having said that on my windows 7 rig I got this once maybe twice in all my time playing /testing.. alot.  

On my windows 10 devils canyon i7 gtx 970  one that I only recently added arma3 this Christmas .  it's happened twice in one week. Both times on Tanoa don't think thats a factor but who knows.. I used  the same server /mission no problem on the older windows 7, i7 Haswell gtx 1070.

This issue is easily more important to fix than anything else BI staff assigned to the arma3 project are doing. again its a bit late though, we're 7 months into living with the bug.

• Like 1

those who claim that the 3fps bug is related to sound(lot of sounds) ...

can you make simple reproduction mission which proves it (happening often/always , easy to test and fast) ?

i would suggest to wait before testing it for next DEV branch build and new PROFILING build ...

(yes more memory leak/crash bugs squashed again (even if it looks we do nothing, wip cooking on background))

• Like 2

If it helps, I have been experiencing this bug on the new map XCam-Taunus quite regularly.  I get it anywhere within 10-45 minutes, but it will happen invariably. I cannot remember experiencing this bug on my new system on any other map besides XCam-Taunus.
Other team-mates with higher end systems have it occur also.

Interestingly it seems that several of our members with lower end systems do NOT experience the crashing we are.
I suppose that's because we have our textures and options turned up to Ultra and High in most instances, while the low end guys have their set to standard or lower settings.

I usually run 3K or more view distance at Ultra/Very high for everything @ 35-70 FPS

System:
Win10x64 Pro
Z170 Mobo
i5-6600K @3.5 ghz
16gb PC2133 OC@3000
EVGA 1070GTX FTW
2x Kingston SSD (120gb/240gb)
1x 1TB HDD

9 hours ago, dwarden said:

can you make simple reproduction mission which proves it (happening often/always , easy to test and fast) ?

i would suggest to wait before testing it for next DEV branch build and new PROFILING build ...

(yes more memory leak/crash bugs squashed again (even if it looks we do nothing, wip cooking on background))

no one has been able to produce a repro for the bug yet, I believe it is related to audio after as a server admin watching hundreds (thousands?) of times the bug happening for people. maybe the audio engine just pushes the memory over the edge and the bug is elsewhere though.

Assuming sound is the issue and the apparent difficulty in getting a repro. 

I did some looking up on this sound related to fps problem.  And a lot of games have had them. 

I came across another avenue to test.  

This related to a conflict of audio drivers as most pcs have more than one enabled. Basically disable the audio drivers not being used.( device manager-sound video and game controllers)

In my case I had 3 drivers [Nvidia high definition Audio, Nvidia virtual Audio Device (wave Extensible)  ( WMD), and Realteck high Definition Audio]. 

I disabled both Nvidia virtial audio and Realteck. Keeping on the Nvidia high definition audio ( as I use the hdmi connected to my gpu to TV on this rig) 

Anyway if you are getting the frequent 3fps bug try it and feedback. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dwarden said:

I think BI arma3 staff would be better served by using 2 machines to play busy public MP modes for ~6 hours per session. Just let it run, let people take turns and let it run for a few hours. Have your debug stuff ready. I can provide some debug access on my server (US based) if necessary, clients on our server get it roughly after 2-4 hours of play. If you're looking for sterile repro.VR missions then this bug isn't going to ever be resolved ;)

arma3 v 1.66

multiplayer: liberation altis v0.924

no mods loaded

after ~1h game play the FPS dropped to unplayable 5

graphics and player models got distorted

it looks this problem still exists :glare:

by the way...

thank you BI Developers,

for the outstanding implementation of Tobii Eye Tracker

very well done, it is :icon_dj:

kind regards

maquez [Q-Net]

220+ days (161 business days) since this bug appeared, still gamebreaking and extremely regular (for people who actually play the game).

Won't find this bug in sterile .VR dev sessions, will have to crawl out of dungeon to play MP to experience and attempt to debug it. Challenge accepted?

Just a quick revisit to this topic. Not that I expected it to change anything but its still happening with my new 1080 and trying various mallocs on the dev and stable branch provided no better results. Even had some crashes when running the game in 64 bit in dev. This is frankly ridiculous at this point. It's been way to long for such a game breaking issue to go uncorrected. 

System specs:

Win 10 64 bit

i7 6700k

32GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 1080 8GB

• Like 1

Still happening on 1.66.139995.

Win 10 64bit

i7 6700k

32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz

GTX 1080 8GB

3x Samsung 850 SSD

1x Samsung 950 m.2 SSD

Version 1.66, the bug of low FPS, continues to hinder the Arma3 player. This can happens as in multiplayer and in single player game also.

After the fall of the FPS, the player sees something like that: 

15348544_m.jpg

15348538_m.jpg

Catastrophic low FPS  and at the same time models are distorted, part disappeared. Only restarting the game helps to solve the problem, but it is only for a while. After 20-40 minutes, the problem can recurs. Unfortunately I can't understand why what exactly is causing this bug.

Until the spring-early summer of 2016 I had not experienced such a problem ever.

As seems to me, This bug has been added in the some updates in the indicated time of 2016

Bi, raise the priority of this issue and spare the player from this problem finally !

6 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Until the spring-early summer of 2016 I had not experienced such a problem ever.

As seems to me, This bug has been added in the some updates in the indicated time of 2016

Bi, raise the priority of this issue and spare the player from this problem finally !

Audio update (1.58) coincided with introduction of the 2 fps bug