woofer808

Arma 3 VoiceAttack profile (with role designation feature)

Thanks a lot scott, I appreciate the kind words!

26 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Question - do role assignments work on AI 11-20 ? It doesn't seem like I can set a role to the higher numbers - probably due to the menu shift...

Sadly, no. It's due to the available number of F-keys in a keyboard layout. Maximum should be F24, but I don't know if Arma supports only up to F20. I coded it in a way takes the last called unit number and converts it to the corresponding F-key. If I had the skills, I would make a plugin for VA that talks directly to the Arma engine through dll's in a mod. But it is way over what time I have to learn that stuff. So it would have to be someone elses problem (wink, wink).

If you liked this profile on account of how it was built by the way, you will probably like the next project even better. I hope to have something to show when I get back from vacation.

//w

Hi Woofer,

Understand - thanks for the response - I'll keep an eye out for anything you release... Enjoy your vacation...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just here to drop a quick note on a problem I found while working on the new stuff. I was notified through youtube that there were issues with the command not working as intended.

Due to how VoiceAttack uses virtual keycodes, some physical keys aren't the same between what keyboard layout you are using.

I have coded this profile on a Swedish keyboard layout which means that some commands will press the wrong key if you are using, say a US English keyboard layout. I'm working on a fix for it right now, but it might take me some time.

If you are on a US or UK English keyboard layout, it would probably be simplest to change the 'Select all units' in game to "/" and remove "/" from 'salute' for now.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, woofer808 said:

If you are on a US or UK English keyboard layout, it would probably be simplest to change the 'Select all units' in game to "/" and remove "/" from 'salute' for now.

If your using the US English keyboard you need to replace select all units to the "\"  key which is the salute key.

I am having an issue being able to select a team once I assign it with the commands Blue Team. Do you have any advice on how to correct this issue for a U.S Keyboard aside from adding a command specifically for vanilla command selection?

On 4/8/2017 at 8:25 AM, Pat Oglesbee said:

If your using the US English keyboard you need to replace select all units to the "\"  key which is the salute key.

I am having an issue being able to select a team once I assign it with the commands Blue Team. Do you have any advice on how to correct this issue for a U.S Keyboard aside from adding a command specifically for vanilla command selection?

I'm not so sure that is a keyboard layout language issue. If you have default Apex keybinds, selecting a color team blue should be LSHIFT+F3 (from F1 to F5). Please check that that is correctly set up.

If that's a no-go due to a conflict with some other keybinds you are having, you might want to change to the regular action menu variant which works but not as well. That would have to be done within the VoiceAttack profile. Here are the combinations for those:

Assign Blue	\ + 9 + 3
Assign Green	\ + 9 + 2
Assign Red	\ + 9 + 1
Assign White	\ + 9 + 5
Assign Yellow	\ + 9 + 4

Select Team Blue	\ + 9 + 9 + 3
Select Team Green	\ + 9 + 9 + 2
Select Team Red		\ + 9 + 9 + 1
Select Team White	\ + 9 + 9 + 5
Select Team Yellow	\ + 9 + 9 + 4

Other than that, there might be an issue with VoiceAttack pressing the keys too fast for Arma to detect with that particular key combo. I started noticing issues with commands of the type "Press modifier + key for 0.1 seconds" a little while back. In that case you would have to try and change the following command within VoiceAttack...

KEY SEQUENCE
// Set the sequence of keypresses below here required for selection
Press Left Shift + F1 keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

To this:

KEY SEQUENCE
// Set the sequence of keypresses below here required for selection
Press down Left Shift key
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press F1 keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Release Left Shift key

You could also try using the command "slow mode" that's in my profile, but to be honest, don't think it's gonna help.

If all else fails. You could create a new player profile within Arma, call it something like "Swedish bullshit" and set it to Apex default keybinds.

Then add the keyboard layout in Windows to "Swedish touch keyboard layout" in Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Language --> Options --> Add an input layout.

That way the profile should work without having to rebind anything within Arma. On my system I sometimes need to have only the Swedish layout present for it all to work, but your mileage may vary.

Anyway, hang in there! I'm still working on the keyboard layout stuff in another project that is resisting release a little.

• Like 1

If you are making a voice profile for Arma in X voice program.

Here are a few universal things you need to take into account:

1. If you are planing that other people will use your profile. You must use international keys for the important stuff, not regional keys.

If you have F-ed up with that and the profile has a plain text file. You can use a program like TextCrawler in order to try to fix most of the issues in one go. Basically you can look for a pattern in the text that would only change the keys you want and in turn change it to whatever you want. Thereby saving hours of work compared to changing each one manually. Just keep in mind that it has to be 100% accurate. An unintended spacing or extra . might break everything. Ref 5!

2. Ingame the Arma command menu is affected by fps. So if you have lower fps at the time. The commands needs to be pressed slower or the buttons will be pressed faster than the menu can change and in by doing so you will skip parts and mess up the voice command result. If you have over 60fps however, that shouldnt be an issue. Then again, most dont so...

3. Have at least two syllables or syllable like features in each voice command and keep those that are not able to do that, like "one" for example, to a minimum. An example of avoid it could be using "off now" instead of just "off". This to both increase accuracy and to prevent false positives. Specially for people with thicker accent or similar.

4. Create and test your voice profile on a generally low standard headset microphone instead of studio quality ones. This because most will not have the latter and if some voice commands are hard for the computer to understand. It will most likely fail if people are using worse gear.

5. Keep backups of older iterations just in case you have to roll back major changes to avoid unnecessary work load.

Bonus.

The A3 "select all units" in Arma 3 does NOT always select all units. It only cycles between ordered units and idle units. This is a mistake done by Bi when they went over the buttons. Because they thought that "select all units" and "forceCommand" did the same thing, they dont. Only "forceCommand" in the key bindings file selects every unit in your squad regardless them being ordered somewhere or just following you.

In short, Bi could fix this by just swapping "select all units" to the "forceCommand" function in the keybinding settings, but they havent done that yet.

A manual fix can you can read here, under 24.12.2015 update:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179904963

If you are interested in changing that on your own computer.

My2cent :)

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, woofer808 said:

Anyway, hang in there! I'm still working on the keyboard layout stuff in another project that is resisting release a little.

Thanks Woofer. I'll play around with it and see what I come up with. I do like the profile and your work on this is excellent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

My2cent :)

Thanks for the input man! It would be impossible to build any profile for any program at this point without taking pointers from your work in VAC. I got a lot of hours of gameplay out of that profile before switching to VoiceAttack.

12 hours ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

The A3 "select all units" in Arma 3 does NOT always select all units. It only cycles between ordered units and idle units.

I tried fixing this according to your instruction on here a while back, but couldn't make it work. I wrote it off as something BI had patched out. If the fix does still work I gotta see what I screwed up the last time because that really trips up the workflow when commanding.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 11:00 PM, woofer808 said:

I tried fixing this according to your instruction on here a while back, but couldn't make it work. I wrote it off as something BI had patched out. If the fix does still work I gotta see what I screwed up the last time because that really trips up the workflow when commanding.

Could you create another ingame Arma 3 character and uploads its default profile file (see 3 below) here: https://files.fm/    You dont have to provide a email or anything as long as you select lower than "permanent", but you need to post the link to the file on the forum of course.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue is still present in the game and my manual edit works.

It also worked on a newly created arma character. Maybe you should try to create another character and test it. Might be you are using space or your other key for something else that is creating a conflict or you put the 57 between the [] instead of the correct {}.

Try this:

1) Create a new Arma character to make everything with that one default.

2) Go into Options_Controls_Common and remove "space" from Use Default Action and Use Selected Action. Press Ok.

3) Go to C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\YourProfileNameHere folder, find the file YourUserProfileNameHere.Arma3Profile and open it with a text editor. If you cant read anything in the file. You used the wrong file. There should be 3 files in that folder you can open. Try the other ones. Only 1 of them has a wall of READABLE text.

4) ctrl+f and search for keyForceCommandingMode and put 57 inside the {}

5) Save the file, shut down and restart the game. Go into the editor and put down a squad with you as the squad leader. Press space and you should select all of your guys.

If this works... Then you might have a control conflict with the key you are trying to use on your main.

Otherwise, it might be that the numbers are not the same in all countries ether. Since the keycode page for Bi does site it being a German keyboard, but then again space is a international key... However maybe the numbers differs some, but I cant tell unless I see a file from another computer, ergo the above.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DIK_KeyCodes#German_keyboard

Thanks JoJo, I got it working this time! I have no idea what stubbed me last time around. It might have been putting the 57 within the square brackets, but I don't know. I have reset my main profile many times since then, so I guess that's what fixed it. Now I'm a bit cranky that I could have played quite a bit with the fix instead of without.

3 hours ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

Could you create another ingame Arma 3 character and uploads its default profile file (see 3 below) here: https://files.fm/    You dont have to provide a email or anything as long as you select lower than "permanent", but you need to post the link to the file on the forum of course.

I'm not sure if you are still interested in having the profile files since I got it working, but here are current default profile files for regular vanilla Arma 3 and also Apex default. The files containing "-noedit" in name are generated straight from the game without changes. The files containing "-edit" in filename were edited with your fix and then tested to work.

It would seem that the only thing that need unbinding nowadays is "Use Default Action" but I might miss some detail somewhere.

https://files.fm/u/etxeecyy

I use an English system with a Swedish keyboard layout.

Great to hear you got it working. :f:

11 hours ago, woofer808 said:

I'm not sure if you are still interested in having the profile files since I got it working

It was still interesting. I wanted to check if the {57} was similar on all the other keys (keyCuratorPingView and keyBuldSelect) in another region regardless. Which it was, but at the same time some keys have very high numbers which are not directly reflected on the keyboard layout link. Maybe they are some combinations of keys or something, not sure. Anyway, at least it confirms via 3 regions (German, Norwegian and Swedish) that 57 is spacebar :f:

11 hours ago, woofer808 said:

It would seem that the only thing that need unbinding nowadays is "Use Default Action" but I might miss some detail somewhere.

Space on "Use Default Action" with the fix = You select all AND tell them to move instantly.

Space on "Use Selected Action" with the fix = You only open the user action menu.

So no you have to remove "space" or similar key from both, but I do recommend having another easy to reach button on "Use Default Action" apart from just the required "enter" key. Because that is the button you use to confirm an order. Which means it has to be manually pressed if you only use a "selecting" voice command.

5 hours ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

So no you have to remove "space" or similar key from both,

Oh, that was just information that "Use selected action" didn't have Space bound to it by default. So there was nothing to remove for me either on standard Arma or Apex defaults. I realize I could have phrased it better.

On the keyboard layouts

I've been doing some digging on my end for VoiceAttack which uses Virtual key-codes instead of the Direct Input decimal key-codes that Arma uses. Maybe that is the same for VAC? It makes it so that non-international keys I input will press another key on a system with a different keyboard layout, which you already alluded to. If I set my keyboard layout to a different language than Swedish, say, German and create a command with it. Then my German-bound command will work for German friends.

I have code that translates between regional Virtual key-codes and Direct Input key-codes working for what seem to be most layouts. The best option would be to parse the settings file of course. But that's a bit over my head at the moment so I'll stick to simply gather information on the key-codes. Next up to decipher are those long DIK decimal numbers that you mentioned, but I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm happy with the current translation system for now.

On 18/04/2017 at 9:16 AM, woofer808 said:

On the keyboard layouts

I've been doing some digging on my end for VoiceAttack which uses Virtual key-codes instead of the Direct Input decimal key-codes that Arma uses. Maybe that is the same for VAC?

I dont know how VAC does it, but I do know that VAC input symbol in VACbuilder changes if its not a international key and the output keyboard is another region than the profile was built on. Sure, you could circumvent it by asking people to change regions every time they want to use it, but that is not very user friendly in my view.

The issue is probably at the voice programs level, like you assume, because for example. The ingame "select all units" key is the same physical key on my keyboard as an English user, but my output on that physical key is | (Nor) instead of ` (Eng), but Arma 3 makes the correct action regardless. However that could be a "translation" thing that is done when a "new" ingame player profile is made.

If you manage to make a solution for it via VoiceAttack. You might want to contact the software make and tell him about it. Since that would make it easier for people all over the world making profiles that might want others to use as well. In any case, Good Luck :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

Good Luck :)

Thanks, well appreciated mate! ^^

Right.

I'm still battling that keyboard layout problem in another project. It proved to be pretty complicated and arduous, but I am committed put that in this profile as well. It'll be here as soon™ as I'm done with it.

For now your best option if your keyboard language prevents the profile from working correctly, is to contact me and ask for another keyboard layout that you might need.

v1.3
*ADDED* US English keyboard layout version of the profile within the download. Better fix on the way.
*FIXED* The regular version of the profile renamed to include Swedish. Better fix on the way.

Download the profile and bundled sounds here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11iTl-bsyI6WU5kb0tmdFZKSVk

There is a manual with all available commands
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dwBpdta-XL9BcMSzhzR3QOQBIG5loJDBvLQtnWDY510

Link to VoiceAttack forum post
http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=508.0

Edited by woofer808
  • Like 2

@woofer808 this stuff is golden !!  I've just started messing around with VA in conjunction with (the superb) C2 and this is just amazing.  Puts my crappy effort to shame.  Well done mate!

• Like 3

On 19/08/2017 at 6:27 PM, kremator said:

@woofer808 this stuff is golden !!  I've just started messing around with VA in conjunction with (the superb) C2 and this is just amazing.  Puts my crappy effort to shame.  Well done mate!

Would you care to share the profile you use sir?

3 hours ago, kremator said:

17th May post (2 above yours) is the latest official release.

Thanks, wasn't sure if you had created your own version.

Oh, mine was crap in comparison to what Woofer has !  However using VA to control troops (through C2 interface) is amazing and a REAL game changer.

• Like 1

Despite what I had already said, this profile will be discontinued. I'll of course leave it for download, but the amount of work to make it on par with the new profile Speakeasy is just too much to justify.

Alpha-Kilo and I suggest you use that profile instead as this one kind of sucks in comparison. Any new features would end up in that one anyway. :f:

I would actually ask to close this topic so that everyone migrates to SpeakEasy

• Thanks 1

I’m new to this, I got your profile and it’s working fine for most commands. Aside from the formation ones and mount vehicle command. Do I need to have my controls set to apex or default?