woofer808

Arma 3 VoiceAttack profile (with role designation feature)

UPDATE: About keyboard languages
Due to the way VoiceAttack handles key codes for different keyboard layouts, some commands might not work as expected depending on what keyboard layout you are actually using.
The profile was made with a Swedish keyboard layout and currently there is only the additional US English one. Squad commanding was broken for US and UK English users.
I am still actively working on a system to fix this, but it turned out to be a bit complicated. For now your best bet is to contact me if you need another keyboard layout language pronto.

---

This is an Arma 3 profile for VoiceAttack that I made for myself.

There is a video if you don't like reading.

https://youtu.be/r55_AaHHue4

It features a pretty cool feature that I like to play with called 'role designation'. It is a system for assigning military roles to units under your command so that they can be called using that instead of a unit number.

The system works by first assigning and then calling - something like this for example:

- [unit two], [assign AT]

- [AT], [Open fire]

It lets you forget about the squad bar.

Main features:
- Vanilla commands
- Role designation
- Efficient mode
- Feedback mode
- Immersive mode (i had to call it something)
- Profile speed
- Help by voice

Download the profile and bundled sounds here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11iTl-bsyI6WU5kb0tmdFZKSVk

There is a manual with all available commands

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dwBpdta-XL9BcMSzhzR3QOQBIG5loJDBvLQtnWDY510

Link to VoiceAttack forum post

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=508.0

Edited by woofer808
  • Like 4

hey,

i would like to give a try....but i  get an error message stating... ''There is an error in XML document (40053,12). Instance validation error; 'KeyToggle' is not a valid value for Action TypeEnum.'' ...when i try to import he profile. I am on a beta version of VA though, but all other profiles i imported for various games work as intended. Any idea whats going on?

hey,

i would like to give a try....but i  get an error message stating... ''There is an error in XML document (40053,12). Instance validation error; 'KeyToggle' is not a valid value for Action TypeEnum.'' ...when i try to import he profile. I am on a beta version of VA though, but all other profiles i imported for various games work as intended. Any idea whats going on?

Hi

I downloaded a fresh copy of 1.5.12.24 (prerelease) and tried with that without any problems. Could your download of the profile be corrupted?

Other than that I draw a blank.

//woofer

ha you're absolutely right, i had the 1.5.7...something beta installed. If you created your profile with a more recent version of course i would run into trouble....absoluetly my bad. So i installed the latest beta and could import it without problems. Kudos. I'll check it out tomorrow. I actually bought VA last year for elite dangerous, but right now i setting it up for arma and dcs. Kilo VA profile is pretty extensive, but although i speak german, i don't like to train an english and german windows voice profile.

By the way, i have C2 installed as well but i have not really worked with it yet. Sounds cool when your VA profile incorporates this as well.

ha you're absolutely right, i had the 1.5.7...something beta installed. If you created your profile with a more recent version of course i would run into trouble....absoluetly my bad. So i installed the latest beta and could import it without problems. Kudos. I'll check it out tomorrow. I actually bought VA last year for elite dangerous, but right now i setting it up for arma and dcs. Kilo VA profile is pretty extensive, but although i speak german, i don't like to train an english and german windows voice profile.

By the way, i have C2 installed as well but i have not really worked with it yet. Sounds cool when your VA profile incorporates this as well.

Good that it worked out for ya!

Regarding C2, that is already in the profile that you have. To select units, simply say [unit] before their number, or [unit all]. To deselect, go [unit disregard]. You can also call [unit formation left] etcetera to get at the quick command stacking. The commands are categorized as C2 in the command list, so check out the edit button on VA.

There should be a more well worked through version with new features within the next few days, so keep a lookout here.

Also, regarding Alpha-Kilo's profile I might be getting a bit of help...

Very nice! It's a shame VoiceAttack only works on Windows though. Voice control of AI units is a really great idea, one which I'd love BI to include in Arma 4.

Until then, I'll have to research the options for linux.

• Like 1

sounds great and thank you very much. I first need to further train win voice recognition though. I have noticed that some profiles (like kilo's) have these expandable/collapsable categories. This is a very neat feature. I fail to see how i can add these, though. That would be cool for your profile as well, keeps it clean with increasing size and complexity i guess.

• Like 1

Ok, so the profile is now updated.

With this version, I'm where I wanted to be with it when I started playing with the VoiceAttack scripting. This is going to be the baseline functionality-wise and from here it will be scaled with more commands.

The main thing I wanted to add is now there. It's called "unit focus". It let's you designate sets of individual units or the entire squad so that any commands you give go directly to whomever you focused on without having to select them first.

For example the following three orders would require you to do a selection of the squad for each one:

[squad] [halt]

[squad] [open fire]

[squad] [prone]

With focus it would instead be:

[focus squad]

[halt]

[open fire]

[prone]

It really cuts down on having to say "squad", "all" or "everyone" when you are making movements. And during a  surprise attack, you can simply yell "get down" instead of having to call the squad and then wait trough the required pause before giving the prone order.

As for individual units, lets say two and four, it would be:

[two] [focus unit]

[four] [focus unit]

[halt]

[open fire]

[prone]

It's useful for when you left the bulk of your squad somewhere and they can handle themselves while you go and micromanage one or a few guys. It helps preventing giving orders to units by mistake.

I also recorded new feedback sounds. Because the old ones were horrible.

I made a new video explaining the profile features

The manual with all available commands

[...] I have noticed that some profiles (like kilo's) have these expandable/collapsable categories. This is a very neat feature. I fail to see how i can add these, though. That would be cool for your profile as well, keeps it clean with increasing size and complexity i guess.

I'm a bit interested in what you mean about expandable/collapsable categories. I talked to Alpha-Kilo and he didn't actually understand what you meant by it. It sounds like an awesome feature.

oh i guess it did not specify well enough what i meant, sorry about that. Its not about actual ingame functionality, only about a clean presentation inside the profile editor. I hope Alpha Kilo doesn't mind me posting this to illustrate what i meant. It'll stay up for one day only. By the way, we cannot add images to the BI forums directly, can we? Only via file/image hosters, right?

oh i guess it did not specify well enough what i meant, sorry about that. Its not about actual ingame functionality, only about a clean presentation inside the profile editor. I hope Alpha Kilo doesn't mind me posting this to illustrate what i meant. It'll stay up for one day only. By the way, we cannot add images to the BI forums directly, can we? Only via file/image hosters, right?

direct upload

Haha! I thought that was what you meant, but I couldn't find that functionality. Now that I looked again - yeah there it is. That's gonna make life easier for me, so thanks for that!

As far as the forum goes. I've pretty much only posted in this thread and had gotten the impression that it needs to be linked. Though there is something called "My media" with space allocated for your account, but I don't know how to use it.

I'm sure there is a help of FAQ somewhere that explains how to do it.

@woofer808          Coincidentally, i have been playing around with your profile over the last couple of days. Its really cool what you can do with the ai. I kinda never really got into commanding and did not appreciate what maneuvers were possible before going the VA route. So, my biggest issue until now always was about the loss of number keys when having commanding keys mapped. The normal left modifiers were blocked as well, since  i use left ctrl/shift/alt as toggles for sprinting, free look camera etc.

Right now, i have re-mapped all unit/team selection keys to right ctrl/alt together with the F1 - F10 keys. Note, you can't (i am on dev branch right now, maybe thats the problem here?) simply use 'right ctrl+F1' for instance, since arma seems to minutely keep track in which order the keys were 'pressed down' on your keyboard. Actually, its quite awesome. Arma distinguishes between Left ctrl+F1 and F1+Left ctrl. You then have to press one key slightly ahead of the other to register the correct command. This doubles your keybind real estate significantly. The caveat is; VA probably sends both directx inputs at the same time but not slightly shifted, at least thats my guess. Arma then does not know whether to interpret this as ctrl+F1 or F1+ctrl. For VA modifier commands to work correctly in arma, one has to set it up the following way:

Press down Right Alt key
Pause 0,1 seconds
Press F1 key and hold for 0,1 seconds and release
Release Right Alt key

The 'right shift' modifier works correctly in arma when actually pressed in the correct order on your physical keyboard, but i can't get it to work with VA with the above described execution order. No idea whats up with that. Anyway, there are enough other modifiers to use :)

If some knows a better or faster way to setup VA modifier commands like 'right alt+F1' which arma correctly understands, let me know.

Woofer, would you be thinking of changing your profiles Unit/Team/Menu selection vanilla keys to be modified with 'right ctrl/alt' to free up both number rows for easy non commanding use? I don't mind doing the work myself, its just easier to set up those key bindings in arma's command menu one time then changing it in your VA profile when you update it. Its just a consideration you might think about, its really great as it already is.

By the way, in your latest video showcase, you mentioned that 'glover pie' or such works without selection/command seperation, where you actually can say...'Team red stand' in one flowing sentence. Is there anyway we can get this to work in VA?

--------------

So i came over another problem with these altered keybinds. Role desigation is broken. Right now, units are bound to right ctrl+1 etc and they get assigned to their specific roles alright. But when i call them, i hear the affirmative beep (feedback mode), but the unit is not being selected. When i change the key binding for unit 1 back to the default F1 in arma only (and keep it as right ctrl+1 in VA), it works as intended. Are the vanilla unit selection keys F1 - F10, you use to select a designated role, stored in an additional location in VA that i did not change? 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2016 at 9:21 PM, Ben Whited said:

when is 1.1 going to be released?

Ben, Please don't ask for updates, it's against the forum rules, it will be released when its ready.

• Like 1

@xon2
I'm not really up for changing the command keys from default keybinds. My position on the matter is as you already were hinting at - that it is possible for the user to do that themselves. And the best baseline to start from should be something that is as close to vanilla defaults as I can make it.

Using a modifier for selecting units does affect things at a very deep level. The role selection for example "builds" the selection key by doing {F + 'last called unit'}.

You would have to go into the role selection and make it so that the keypress would be something along the lines of:

{press down left ctrl}
{press {F + '_lastCall'} and hold for 0,1 seconds and release}
{release left ctrl key}

Regarding fluent commands, there is no good way of doing it as well as Articulate apart from actually create each and every such command. JoJoTheSlayers' VAC profile does this and it is what makes it so good. The sheer scale of it creates quality. I've taken to build a select few of those sort of commands that I use often so that I can get that immersive touch.

As a final note I'll put in a status update. Thanks to road runner by the way for pointing out the rule about asking for updates. It's always tough when your hobby starts to become a stressful thing on top of balancing job and family.
That being said I have been working pretty hard with VoiceAttack lately in response to C2 being reworked and now incorporates Advanced AI Command. And I have teamed up with Alpha-Kilo. Things are happening.

Great to hear you are pushing this project further. For the time being, i went back to select units by the vanilla F1 - F10 commands, its just not worth the hussle only to free up F1 - F4 which i used to access the Kestrel, AtragMX and Rangecard of Ace's Advanced Ballistics. The thing is, mods (like C2) don't use these advanced key bindings like left vs right ctrl or F1+ctrl vs ctrl+F1. For instance, C2 only knows ctrl, not left or right ctrl. Anyway, its just minor stuff, really doesn't matter. Just for fun sake, i actually got the custom role designation with modifiers working as you described above. For the driver this looks like this:

CHECK IF THE ROLE HAS BEEN SET BEFORE CALLING IT

Begin Integer Compare : [_driver] Has Been Set
    Press down Left Shift key
    Pause 0,1 seconds
    Quick Input, '[F{INT:_driver}]'
    Release Left Shift key

It took me a while to get behind what is going on in VA when i assign one of your custom roles (markesman for example). I did not really understand that

'' Quick Input, '[F{INT:_driver}]'  '' actually is a key press and that i could add stuff before and after the line of code, although you clearly described it that way :).

By the way, did you get those 'expandable/collapsable categories' we were talking about in october working, the ones like in Alpha Kilo's profile?

----

One more question: is it possible to focus a fireteam (team red/green) instead of a single unit or the entire squad atm?

Happy and relaxed holidays guys...

On 12/23/2016 at 2:07 PM, xon2 said:

By the way, did you get those 'expandable/collapsable categories' we were talking about in october working, the ones like in Alpha Kilo's profile?

Yes, this is a thing now. It has helped me a lot, so thanks again for the tip!

On 12/23/2016 at 2:07 PM, xon2 said:

One more question: is it possible to focus a fireteam (team red/green) instead of a single unit or the entire squad atm?

Not at the moment it isn't. It shouldn't be impossible to make it happen though. Is it something that will be used much? I would either have to add an _lastCallTeam variable and keep track of what team was last called like with the single soldiers. But it would also be possible to do it so that you would have to say something like "focus team red".

//woofer

Actually i think focusing a fire team would be quite useful. Imagine you've got 3 teams set up, and you want to scout ahead with only one of them (sniper/spotter). Being able to focus this with the 'focus read team/team red or simply foucs red' is way easier than looking up which unit numbers belong to the team in question and adding those ony by one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, xon2 said:

way easier than looking up which unit numbers belong to the team in question and adding those ony by one.

This sold it for me. I see the use now. Thanks!

I'll add _lastCallTeam and use the same system as when focusing on soldiers.

• Like 1

Nice glad to see i'm not the only one who loves makin' everything easier with Voice Attack.... now if only the last windows update didn't destroy my TTS system. ><

• Like 1

sounds great. Will we be able to focus multiple teams just like we can focus multiple units?

On 12/30/2016 at 7:06 AM, xon2 said:

sounds great. Will we be able to focus multiple teams just like we can focus multiple units?

In theory, yes.

I was finally able to get this together. It now contains the 'focus team' functionality along some other small fixes.

There are quite a few things happening on the side of C2 and Advanced AI Command at the moment. I'll wait for that to mature a bit before sinking my teeth into that.

v1.2
*ADDED* It is now possible to focus on entire teams (thanks xon2).
*IMPROVED* Cleaned up the categories somewhat.
*ADDED* Help by voice now reflects the added team focus.
*FIXED* Help by voice for 'focus' stated that the word 'unit' was required for focus, it is not.
*FIXED* Calling the entire squad, an individual or a team now properly resets any non-associated focus.
*REMOVED* The 'show inventory' command no longer works due to changes in Arma. Use 'action menu' instead.
*FIXED* Team selection and assignment now uses the more robust F-key instead of the action menu (thanks Eric Barstad).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11iTl-bsyI6NFBtWThHb0ZXd1U

There is a manual with all available commands
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dwBpdta-XL9BcMSzhzR3QOQBIG5loJDBvLQtnWDY510

Google folder with old releases
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11iTl-bsyI6WU5kb0tmdFZKSVk

Link to VoiceAttack forum post
http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=508.0

Hi Woofer,

What a superb bit of kit you've created... I've learned a ton about VA just looking at how you did it...

Question - do role assignments work on AI 11-20 ? It doesn't seem like I can set a role to the higher numbers - probably due to the menu shift...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk