Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Spam and reporting

yeah if you look at this profile he spams 3 post with random numbers or letters, and then he moves on to create his own topics with his garbage... but the guy is so stupid he most likely doesn't even know what this forum is and that no one will fall for his scam.

So that must be very hard to block human beings from posting....

So that must be very hard to block human beings from posting....

i think they need to have a system which allows a moderator or 2 to let in new members, allowing the new user to create a unlisted post which is hidden from the general public and only the moderator will see and if its something stupid, they wont be allowed to make any more post/treads and will have their account banned. this will really slow down spam accounts. 

• Like 1

why does it take so long to take control of this issue?

why does it take so long to take control of this issue?

Unfortunately the spammers are using a variety of IP ranges, so its not that simple as blocking an IP address or range. The BIS IT team are working on a solution which will be robust in resolving this issue. In the meantime if you wish to help with controlling the issue, why not consider applying to be a forum moderator (moderators are only volunteers, we aren't BIS Employees)  ;)

• Like 1

IMHO its not the "job" to have forum moderators take control of a spam issue - especially if they are volunteers.

this is the task for the forum administration. it seems hard to believe that IP range banning is the only meaningful approach

and that there are no forum software extensions to address this - let alone adjusting the configuration to have new accounts

not make posts as frequently/create new threads.

You know for a new member to create a thread of their own, they need to reply to at least 5 threads,

so either they are actual people able to bypass the system, or really bots doing it, or the system dont work.

The spammer(s) are starting to reply to topics instead of creating them.

I find it hard to believe that there is no option to limit posts of X per hour for new users, or no plugin being for that.

Also surely there have to be more advanced anti spam plugins for this forum software.

I find it hard to believe that there is no option to limit posts of X per hour for new users, or no plugin being for that.

Also surely there have to be more advanced anti spam plugins for this forum software.

Thank for your concern, as per my previous message in this thread the IT Team are working towards a robust implementation to stopping these spam attacks. I am sure some form of anti-spam will be implemented.

IMHO its not the "job" to have forum moderators take control of a spam issue - especially if they are volunteers.

this is the task for the forum administration. it seems hard to believe that IP range banning is the only meaningful approach

and that there are no forum software extensions to address this - let alone adjusting the configuration to have new accounts

not make posts as frequently/create new threads.

I certainly know its not the job of the forum moderators to take control of the spam issue, i was merely pointing out that if you wanted to help, how you could do so. 

• Like 1

Thank for your concern, as per my previous message in this thread the IT Team are working towards a robust implementation to stopping these spam attacks. I am sure some form of anti-spam will be implemented.

The IT team is IP.Board correct?

So in some instances its out of the admin/moderator's control/settings to either prevent or setup something to stop the spam attacks,

basically no options available?

Isn't there as Kju pointed out a requirement for new members to have at least 5 posts before they can create a thread, i think this is implemented and as also noted that it seems

that these would be spammers reply to existing threads which allows them to meet the requirements then their spamfest begins.

I think it was last sunday/monday there was something last spammed, when you guys see this, do you ban the account

of this member and if so what does that do, like what can you do with a member to prevent them from spamming again at least for that account name?

Isn't there as Kju pointed out a requirement for new members to have at least 5 posts before they can create a thread, i think this is implemented and as also noted that it seems that these would be spammers reply to existing threads which allows them to meet the requirements then their spamfest begins.

I've looked at one of the accounts not long after it was created. You can see them quickly slot in the replies to various threads to get the post count up, and then go from there until they're presumably shut down. I don't think it's possible with that kind of system to completely filter them out.

I'm on another site where the post count not only needs to get above 10 for a new member, but each of the posts is moderated until that limit is reached. Because the moderators are volunteers there too, it can take a while for a post to be vetted. As they obviously have other things to take care of. One post can take 2 or 3 days to get cleared. Even if you reply to a few, they're still seen based on the number of moderators available.

It seems obstructive, or even harsh. But the fact you have to wait for each individual post to be vetted will test the patience of a real person. I've seen more than one get pretty angry about it and basically storm off. If you're genuinely interested in being there you'll wait it out. Considering a human spammer wants immediate access and the ability to flood the place as soon as possible, they may not bother to hang around.

It's more a psychological than technological approach.

Whether that would work here though is another matter. And of course this is a site linked to a commercial enterprise. I'm sure it's a balancing act between security and potentially discouraging a repeat customer. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of a wait period maybe a day could be good for a 5 post limit before you can post regularly, who knows how many new members

the forum has acquired that only have posted once or twice and never came back.

I'm thinking that for spamming that maybe the system can somehow scan someone's post so that if it repeats itself again somewhere then the post

and member is deemed a spammer and would then get an automatic warning about repeat posts.

If the post gets more of the same kind after 3 then the account would be suspended until the member could contact a moderator about the intent of the repeat posts,

a repeat post would maybe send a flag to a moderator and let them know that there is a would be member trying to spam.

But then again you can have a member that has a thread that has a specific subject that is repeated so maybe some type of disabling of the ability to post with a warning

and in the warning contact a moderator to clarify your intent for repeat posts, then put a timer on it and if the timer ends the account is suspended/banned

and the member is deleted and or booted off the forum.

9 hours ago, Chrizzo006 said:

is the spam filter the reason i can't start new threads?

Yes and no, some threads for example the Squads area have to be approved by a moderator before been visible. 

Both of those guys have more posts in half an hour than I did in 2 months of being a forum member :dozingoff:  

I agree with .kju on implementing a system that prevents new members from posting after a certain number of posts in a short period have been made.