Gates of ARMAgeddon Part 1: Shadow Fall
Version 1.5 Special Edition released on 10/22/2017.
Version 1.2 released on 2016.12.11
Download:
(a bit over 200mb, includes ASCZ_Heads and EWK_Cigs addons)

bis_i1.jpg image19.jpg
 bis_i6.jpgimage18.jpg
bis_i3.jpg image20.jpg
bis_i4.jpg bis_i8.jpg

Some called him a loner. Some called him a friend. Others called him a hero.
And some would call him .... a madman.

Shadow Fall is a single-player campaign where you can influence the reputation of the main character by making key decisions in the early missions. Your actions are tracked as reputation points that will alter some NPC dialog, and determine the final campaign objectives, and the all new epilogue end-scene. If you played Gambit Royale in Arma 2 (and coming soon for Arma 3), there was a bad guy with a hat and a nuclear bomb. This campaign explores the origins of the bad guy "Denmark". Your choices determine if he is just a misunderstood patriot to his people in northern Chernarus, or a dangerous man feared by all.

Features of Shadow Fall include:

• Over 60 Radiation hot spots simulated in the two Pripyat missions
  • Feral dogs (with JBOY dogs script) that can attack you and team members
  • Reputation tracking that alters some dialog later in the campaign and final objectives
  • Police that will respond to murders in first mission
  • Custom-scripted ambient vehicles and civilians
  • Fully voice acted
  • Detailed cut scenes
  • Battle in partly destroyed Chernogorsk
  • Russian translated
  • ASCZ Heads for more detail variation in faces
  • Reputation tracking that determines if NPCs fear you or disregard you
  • missions in Chernarus, Porto, Chernobyl Zone, and Malden 2035
  • a few animations ported from Arma 2
  • now includes EWK Cigs pbo by Mr Ewok per his license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/)

AZC Function Library

Required Addons

Chernobyl Zone was removed from Steam by the author, so I removed the dead link above. As of now it's still on Armaholic and ArmanIII's web site.
The Chernobyl Zone also offers alternative themes. I highly recommend Autumn because it matches the time frame of the missions.

Major Changes with Special Edition (please see changelog below for full detailed list)
  • added Project OPFOR to give proper detailed uniforms for pirates, Ukrainians, etc
  • Pyotr now has his iconic cowboy hat (from Project OPFOR)
  • inclusion of ASCZ heads with permission from Taurus4K, and face updates for some characters
  • bugs fixed caused by Arma 3 updates and RHS updates
  • Russian translations
  • added mission on Malden 2035 previously created on Sahrani for the original release but dropped due to addons removed
  • rewrote the AI spawning module
  • major changes to flow of the first mission, and to the Chernobyl missions
  • tons of more changes, see changelogs below

Known Issues beyond my control

• RHS popup errors related to ammo crates, caused by the last RHS update, will be fixed in next RHS update
  • ammo crate in first mission is sometimes really difficult to access, game engine bug? I think it's because you have no weapon yet. Just walk around until the option finally appears.
  • in 3rd mission the pirates sometimes go swimming, it's NOT scripted! I can't stop them.
  • there are some "fall-through" areas at the Pripyat stadium (both far ends of the bleachers), please save game a couple times around there just in case you fall through and get stuck

Changelogs
Spoiler

Changelog for v1.51 (6/3/18)

- civilians in first mission are now voiced!
- fixed possibility of stuck blurred vision when leaving heavy radiation
- added mod requirements to campaign page
- added HazJ notifications
- added Apocolypse theme by GEORGE FLOROS GR
- opened doors on important CUP buildings that are now closed by default....
- fixed Mi24 nose in ground in scene 4 intro and final scene
- fixed missing skull patch in scene 5 intro
- disabled mimics in many scenes to prevent AI from looking at the bottom of their shoe while talking
- disabled cam autofocus in many places, it often blurs objects that should be visible

Massive Changelog for v1.50 Special Edition initial release
- added Project OPFOR
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735566597
- added ASCZ Heads by taurus, included PBO with permission from author
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=346726922
-> updated several characters (of course) to use the new faces
- player gets bonus rating in each mission 10x their reputation score
- converted over to new ambient civ and vehicle scripts
- fixed Error in expression <if(_value >= 0)then{[_this,[['Number', cDecals4Car> due to BI changing types
- added personal diary entries for all missions (except 1st) that vary depending on reputation, giving more insight into the mind of the character as the campaign progresses
- added autodelete of snakes in both Chernobyl Zone missions because they were excessively annoying
-> also discovered that snakes can OPEN doors to get outside
-> why don't human AI open doors?
- the JBOY dog script addon is a mix of an old and recent version tailored to this campaign
- switched ambient type sounds to use playSound3D because it has a volume option, and recent A3 patches caused high attenuation of "say" command which had a huge impact on the Chernobyl missions
- update several character faces with ASCZ Heads
- regarding Mr Ewok cig mod, the cigs are used on multiple characters throughout the campaign, including the Cuban cigar for Volasko, and a shemag for an enemy leader. The mod author has gone MIA for over a year and unfortunately it's not on Steam. There is no other mod (AFAIK) to substitute for this one. I included a pic of Volasko and his cigar to show why I am keeping this mod as required. If Mershun cigs were to include cigars, then I would reconsider.
- add CfgMoves override so your character doesn't wipe his face and look at his shoe every 10 seconds
- fixed inconsistent spelling of 'Pyotr' throughout campaign
- added Russian translations, please notify me of errors or if dialog does not make sense in Russian, I believe some of it is out of context and/or totally wrong

Did you know the flashlight can change colors? Ctrl+C, and L to turn it on. Several colors to choose.
In the 1st mission, police will respond to murders.

M01 The Hangover
- fixed random frozen truck bug
- changed random background music while wandering
- relocated opening scene, warehouse, pub, and doctor
- added custom gas station
- added street lights to help find road to Pusta
- added small club party at night
- added eye witness to accident
- fixed most hard to hear sound issues
- fixed problem of civilians thinking the player's flashlight is a gun
- changed weather to lighten up the rain and be clear at night
M02 scene
- changed cutscene music to Rammstein, seemed more appropriate in several ways
- added missing family dog
- it was possible for scene to get stuck halfway, changed conditions
- fixed some glitchy camp scene car issues and other minor tweaks
M02 Retribution
- added post processing visual
- modified civ spawn points to be trigger area based
- path to download icon changed, updated it to prevent popup error
- Zheldak will now leave after speaking to player
- added ambient guitar practice of "Shadow Fall" to one of the houses in Pusta
- changed Mi8 flyby to MiG-29
M03 scene
- added Mi28 flying around
M03 Pirates of Porto
- changed pirates to use Project OPFOR pirates, removed custom uniform script
M04 scene
- changed Su25 takeoff to MiG29
M04 September Crisis
- added cowboy hat to disguise
- clarified an easy way to find the main objective
M05 Malden Dealers (new mission)
M06 (formerly M05) Denmark's Gambit
- added short intro to show player perspective relative to Chernobyl power plant
- slightly relocated start of mission
- converted Ukraine units to use Ukraine soldiers from Project OPFOR
- changed primary objective and location
- changed dialog where necessary
- changed atmospheric post processing to be darker
- created a more straightforward experience to avoid walking in circles
- made ultranationalists a bit more aggressive
- modified dog sounds to be louder, was having issue of "stealth" dog attacks
- added and moved several enemy groups
- tweaked radiation to be more lethal and at lower mS than before (also for M07)
- increased priority of "tools" on radioactive crate's quick action menu
- added medical supplies to tool crate
- increased damage noticeably on the radiation underground
M07 (formerly M06) Dark Wasteland
- changed main objective
- the gold objective was removed
- this was previously a solo mission, now the full team is available
- choose from 3 locations to meet with team before primary objective
- there are now 5 exit points from the zone
- slightly enhanced the "ghost" lights and added more
- Mi24 will persist in search for player team
- added random chatter to enemy soldiers
- added 8 new ambient creepy noises
M07 scene
- changed music to something from Harvest Red
M08 (formerly M07) Red Hammer
- lowered reputation required to get Prime Minister task
M08 final scene
- added Fallout inspired ending that covers each significant character in the campaign and their fate, and is affected by character's reputation

Changelog for version 1.2
  • Fixed serious bug causing player to spin 180 degs during combat
  • Fixed problem with CBA_Defend not calling for some units
  • Enhanced script loading for all missions

Changelog for version 1.1
  • M04 has more custom scenery and clutter added
  • refactored initial script load to reduce overhead when campaign starts
  • added logging to assist in troubleshooting if anyone has a game freeze at the start of first mission
  • it was possible to kill Mr Safe and still talk to his corpse in M06
  • fixed Baranov not raising his hands in surrender
  • fixed Baranov not being killable
  • fixed _action when function re-initialized in AZC_fnc_AmbientCivilianManager
  • made dialog text slightly larger
  • fixed dialog cut-off when talking to doctor at the end of the scene in M01
  • increased volume on numerous lines of dialog in M01
  • removed all APEX objects from M01, including boat drivers that the engine automatically placed APEX units within
  • add missing rifle grenades to ammo crate in M02
  • was possible to kill Uday and still talk to his corpse
  • fixed problem with -1000 rating per empty vehicle destroyed in M02
  • can't fix floating logs north side Green Mountain as they are a CUP Terrain bug
  • added 2DP rifle flaghlights to some mission ammo crates
  • made it less likely that Kharkovich and Shevchenko will show respect toward the player
  • fixed bug with ambient sounds in M06 selecting empty groups

• Like 13

Hi guys

finally maybe a reason for me to play ArmA 3. LOL I have accumulated some 90 hours of playtime so far. First time it happens with an BI title. I just can't get used to it. Since the campiagn uses quite some addons I will give it a try  as soon as I can.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it's very encouraging.

I'm waiting to get some of the voiced lines back, and I am testing the campaign as a whole and need to finish up one little part.

• Like 1

I am trying to get a beta release out by the end of the week. Through my own playtesting it became clear that both of the Chernobyl missions needed more attention, so I have put in a lot more interesting content into them. That's the main reason it's not out yet. Maybe on the 4th or 5th of Nov, depends on time for me to test it all again and fix anything else that comes up. I will try to update here by the end of the week either yay or nay on that. Thanks!

• Like 3

Shadow Fall has been in beta testing for about a week. It's had a rough start with it not working for my testers. I made some changes and await feedback on whether it works now. I will update you when I have more information.

• Like 4

Shadow Fall has been in beta testing for about a week. It's had a rough start with it not working for my testers. I made some changes and await feedback on whether it works now. I will update you when I have more information.

Looks very cool AZCoder.   You might consider using JBOY dog for your feral dogs.  Or just grab any pieces of it you want, like dog damage eventhandlers, dog blood textures, and growl, bark, and yelp-in-pain sound fx.  Note that AI will fire on enemy JBOY dogs as well (vanilla AI never fires on dogs).  The blood around the mouth textures make feral dogs look mean.  Plus your lone wolf character might appreciate having a 4 legged friend with him.  :)

• Like 1

Looks very cool AZCoder.   You might consider using JBOY dog for your feral dogs.  Or just grab any pieces of it you want, like dog damage eventhandlers, dog blood textures, and growl, bark, and yelp-in-pain sound fx.  Note that AI will fire on enemy JBOY dogs as well (vanilla AI never fires on dogs).  The blood around the mouth textures make feral dogs look mean.  Plus your lone wolf character might appreciate having a 4 legged friend with him.  :)

Coolness, I will check it out! Thanks.

• Like 1

I have updated the first post with the promotional video. I apologize if the music isn't professional, I did it myself because last time I did a promo video with real music, it got muted by YT.

JBOY dogs was integrated. I made some modifications so it's not quite as brutal .... still you want to avoid the dog packs. I had one encounter with a pack, pretty much got rid of them while on the run, then another pack came after me, had to hide in a building. Good times, LOL.

Mordacai has been providing immense help with beta testing and doing some scenery enhancements with great detail. I am very grateful for his additions to the campaign. While that process is still on-going, I am planning to put out the first release this Friday the 18th. Please note the required addons in the first post ... all are required. The campaign is roughly 150MB, most of that being voice acting ogg files. I know from experience there will be another release or two to fix unforseen bugs, and because we are still working on some scene enhancements.

Additionally, I may put out a "director's cut" later on. The campaign originally had the CUP mods and got pulled out to reduce addon requirements, and thus removing one of the original side-missions, but I bet almost everyone has the CUP mods so that may return a bit later on.

So Friday the 18th ... and if something comes up to prevent that, I will let you all know. Thanks!

• Like 4

I have updated the first post with the promotional video. I apologize if the music isn't professional, I did it myself because last time I did a promo video with real music, it got muted by YT.

JBOY dogs was integrated. I made some modifications so it's not quite as brutal .... still you want to avoid the dog packs. I had one encounter with a pack, pretty much got rid of them while on the run, then another pack came after me, had to hide in a building. Good times, LOL.

That's one of the better promo vids I've seen man.  You know how to cut to the bone.  Music is cool.  I gotta have that stogie addon--which addon is that?  My favorite screenshot is the lower left.  That port looks alive and authentic.  Looking forward to the release!

@Players:  I wouldn't sweat the dogs.  Just say sweet things like "good doggies" or "nice poochies", and you should be fine.

@johnnyboy - that's EWK CIGS, and thanks!

Congrat on the release!

The music in the promo is cool beatnik rock circa 1962!

@Mordacai - thanks!

Here's a teaser from the 6th mission featuring my run-in with JBOY dogs. I started recording because it's the first time I saw enemy units fighting a pack of dogs, and I thought it was a good chance for me to evade them. Then I realized the dogs were pursuing me. There's one cut in the video because I paused to think about my situation.

• Like 2

Version 1.0 is released, link at the top. I submitted it to Armaholic as well. I might put it on Steam once I figure out where to put my pdf, they didn't like my folder structure.

I want to give special thanks to Mordacai for beta testing it, and for building up some of the scenery on a few of the maps.

• Like 1

Version 1.0 is released, link at the top. I submitted it to Armaholic as well. I might put it on Steam once I figure out where to put my pdf, they didn't like my folder structure.

I want to give special thanks to Mordacai for beta testing it, and for building up some of the scenery on a few of the maps.

It smells more of a "collaboration" than beta-testing per ce... Mordacai has earned his name on the credits at the end of the campaign ;)

About the pdf, AZCoder, you could host it on your github or dropbox and link it on the steam description of the campaign... I know, a separate download, but a shortcoming for the SW limitations =)

Finally enjoying your first A3 endeavour... maybe a port of the classic campaigns on a near future?

Cheers!

• Like 1

It smells more of a "collaboration" than beta-testing per ce... Mordacai has earned his name on the credits at the end of the campaign ;)

About the pdf, AZCoder, you could host it on your github or dropbox and link it on the steam description of the campaign... I know, a separate download, but a shortcoming for the SW limitations =)

Finally enjoying your first A3 endeavour... maybe a port of the classic campaigns on a near future?

Cheers!

He is in the credits if watch you carefully in the special thanks area :)

Mordacai enhanced some areas in missions 1 & 3, which is to say he added miscellaneous items, tools, beds, plants, etc. I think he's doing 4 as well, which would be for a future update of course. I had 2 beta testers, although Mordacai was the only one that provided feedback, and I made a few changes off that.

The next is a port (or partial port) of Gambit Royale since it literally starts where this one leaves off.

• Like 1

@corporal_lib[br]

I posted it to Steam now. The PDF is there, but you have to know to find it. Would be nice if they included that in their links options. It's a nice pdf with walkthrough advice.  :ph34r:

@corporal_lib[br]

I posted it to Steam now. The PDF is there, but you have to know to find it. Would be nice if they included that in their links options. It's a nice pdf with walkthrough advice.  :ph34r:

I know! I´ve used the PDF for guidance already lol

Steam has issues with optional folders and "external files" like PDFs and such... SW support is still crawling, in terms of learning curves,  I guess

Loved the reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off 

Great to know Gambit Royale will be remade, anxious for the sequences...

But I still need to finish off this one lol... lemme get back to the campaign (chapter 3 still)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Just finished the camp.

Liked the ending. A real teaser for what is coming up.
Looking forward to the next release!

• Like 2

Loved the reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off 

LOL, maybe I should have used Star Wars music there......

• Like 1