Addon "Aerodrome ICAO signs and NDB" for ARMA 3 PC game by NightIntruder
ver. 0.93  05.OCT.2016

PLEASE NOTE: reading of the readme included in the addon is the obligation before usage of the addon. Without reading whole document you are not permitted to use the addon and obliged to delete it from all data storages where the addon was stored.

wr5ch6s.jpg

jGvkrsA.jpg

lDYLlWb.jpg

PgcczJz.jpg

qwexNT1.jpg

TZ6svEn.png

1. INTRODUCTION
2. ADDON FEATURES
3. CREDITS & COPYRIGHTS
4. LICENCE AND END USER AGREEMENT
5. BUGS & TO DO
6. CHANGELOG

1. INTRODUCTION
The addon was made by NightIntruder. My main goals to achieve while working on the addon were:
- to have ICAO signs for airports whenever I fly with my fellow v-pilots during our scenarios,
- to have helping signs while taxiing according to ATC's direction
- to have airport charts that would help having better SA at airports
- to have better and more realistic immersions at airports
- to encourage mission makers of colaborating communities to include ATC slot for their's MP scenarios
It took me 4 days to create the addon. Initially I didn't want to release the addon but finally I thought that the addon is good enough to share it.
In creation of the addon following software were used:
- Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2016 (3D, models, unwrapping)
- Autodesk Photoshop CS 2 (2D, textures)
- Notepad ++  (writing configs)
- BIS Developer Tools: Object Builder, ModelBuilder, IMGtoPAA.

2. ADDON FEATURES:
- 1 model of NDB station
- a bearing system courtesy of TeTeT
- 6 different models of standing sign (low-poly, app. 240 polys per sign)
- 3 different models (simple polys) for laying sign
- 833 custom made textures that cover most of ICAO signs related to taxiways, stands, APRONs, runways
- changing textures of a signs' polys based on setObjectTextureGlobal command
- standing signs are backlighted during night time
- a mission with pre-placed signs on four Tanoa's aerodromes and NDB stations is included
- charts of Tanoa's  aerodromes are included
- a server key included
- a manual with path to textures included

3. COPYRIGHTS & CREDITS
- NightIntruder: work on whole addon, including models, textures, rvmat and config
- Bohemia Interactive Studio: for the great ARMA-family games.
- 7WEDS and ArmaCoopCorps communities fellow v-pilots for being inspiration for the addon.
- TeTeT: for scripted bearing indicator system 

4. LICENCE AND END USER AGREEMENT
The addon has been made under Creative Commons 4.0 BY-NC-ND licence: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
The Author of the addon is Robert Koterbski also know as NightIntruder. Copyrights and ownership of the addon belongs entirely to the Author.
There are additional restrictions applied by the author to the addon in terms of End User Agreement:
- using the addon for military purposes is not allowed without permission granted by the Author,
- you have no rights to upload the addon on Steam or use it at any monetization servers
Remeber, the addon is provided "as-is", use at your own risk.

5. BUGS & TO DO
BUGS:
- not known

TO DO:
- to add a few missing textures
- to add ruin model of NDB station
- to add approach /depart procedure charts (courtesy of jacd from 7WEDS)
- get feedback and release final version

6. CHANGELOG
Version 0.93 05.10.2016
- added NDB station object with 4K textures (change in package weight from 6 to 38MB)
- sample mission reworked (added new NDB stations at 5 places and script of bearing indicator)
- 3 aerodrome diagrams were updated to new positions of NDBs
- the addon's manual was extended by NDB-wise section
Version 0.92 03.10.2016
- sample mission reworked (added approach NDB stations at 5 places)
- Bala airstrip diagram added
Version 0.91 03.10.2016
- scope of the addon enhanced by NDB station object and script
Version 0.9 02.10.2016
- first BETA release of the addon

• Like 17

This is a long overdue visual upgrade needed for the airports. Air only units will appreciate it I'm sure.

No if we can just get the planes to fly like real planes! :P

• Like 3

Thank you for making this! I had been planning on doing something similar to this for quite a while now, but never got around to it. Definitely something that's been needed for flying in this game for some time now! :)  

• Like 1

Thanks for the apprieciation, gents!

Now, the scope of the addon has been enhanced by NDB station with antenna and related script (courtesy of TeTeT) that would give pilots direction to an active NDB. Due to that, my fellow v-pilot jacd from 7WEDS promissed me that he'll create approaching/departing procedures.

It would be helpful in scenarios that includes adverse weather conditions, I guess :)

• Like 2

The addon has been updated to v. 092.

5 approach NDB stations have been added to the sample mission (they base on Eden objects atm). Bala airstrip diagram was created and added to the package as well. The first post was changed accordingly.

dHDpzeN.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Foxhound for pointing me to the issue. Yeah, google's mirror is the correct one for sure.

Awesome. Great stuff.

Now if just the map creators would use the right RWY Bearings as well... :) Luckely most are easely replaced with CUP Runway Textures.

Best regards

• Like 1

Thanks for the apprieciation, gents!

Now, the scope of the addon has been enhanced by NDB station with antenna and related script (courtesy of TeTeT) that would give pilots direction to an active NDB. Due to that, my fellow v-pilot jacd from 7WEDS promissed me that he'll create approaching/departing procedures.

It would be helpful in scenarios that includes adverse weather conditions, I guess :)

AHHHH so THAT is why Tet was asking about "channels" for lack of a better description.  Glad that got sorted out!  :)

• Like 1

AHHHH so THAT is why Tet was asking about "channels" for lack of a better description.  Glad that got sorted out!  :)

Shhh! Shhh! 

(Yeaa, he is incredible in that magic! I envy you that majority of his free time he spend on UNS stuff instead of mine! :) Give me him back, bastards! :D )  

I'm not working on UNS stuff any more myself. 

This is a cool addon.  Thought of adding a windsock?  I have a model but never got around to trying to make it work LOL

Thought of adding a windsock? 

A windsock is already in vanilla game and works great  :) Props -> Structures (Altis) -> Airport -> Windsock

Regarding animation - it must be animated through script as there is no wind animation source afaik. But whole idea could be like this below - one object with different weight of vertices:

dkNgWyq.jpg

Interesting, I thought there was no windsock in the default game... I'll have to look again.  I animate it as a flag.

Things are looking nice... must say those small things make a huge difference :)

• Like 1

Package was updated, new DL links posted at the top of this page.
The NDB station has been added along with scripted system made by TeTeT. A manual was extended accordingly. I changed the sample mission as well as documentation (new position of 3 NDBs). New addon package weights 39MB, mainly due to 4K textures of NDB object (diff, smdi, nohq and as). Perhaps, in next update I will reduce their size by half.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Great job,

Would it be a bad idea placing a NDB a few km away of the runway and another one at the edge of the runway to allow planes to line up correctly in low visibility? ( fly to the first one enter new frequency and perfect line up.)

Basically using the far NDB as a VOR and the close one as the Localizer without a functioning Glide Slope.

Would it be a bad idea placing a NDB a few km away of the runway and another one at the edge of the runway to allow planes to line up correctly in low visibility? ( fly to the first one enter new frequency and perfect line up.)

We work to have a drawing/picture of actual ADF instrument in the background of the bearing indicator. Knowing both direction of a runawy and a bearing to NDB is fair enough to roughly check whether ones approach heading is correct. Apart from that, we also work to have the second bearing indicator working for more advanced navigation. Up to then, I suggest looking at the drawing I made for you :)

RZCbWSk.jpg

Qt2gwD4.jpg

Beside that, ILS approaches and cones work in Arma3, but obviously only for those aircraft that has such nav feature implemented, like HUD for example. We don't want to duplicate system that already works great.

NDBs were intended as a general navigation system and for non-precision approaches based on procedures.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, i was basically thinking your system could also be used as navaid but i get what you are saying. Is it just me or is there no ILS on tanoa?

I checked yesterday and at least Saint George has it. Its ILS cone can be intercepted from 5-6 clicks while approaching to RWY31. No clue about the rest of aerodromes but will check them tonight.

EDIT: All aerodromes of Tanoa are ILS CAT II capable. It has something to do with player auto-landing feature and AI landing path, I guess, thus ILS should be available on all aerodromes created on a map whenever a runway was actually placed by map maker. But! The one problem is that BIS disabled the feature in vanilla aircraft. Another one is that ILS feature supports planes rather than helicopters. I wasn't able to find a chopper with HUD that is compatible with ILS. Anyway, some of planes ported from A2 have ILS working on their HUDs on Tanoa, ie. CUP ones.

This is the list of ILS-capable runways on Tanoa:

• Tanoa - RWY17
  • Saint-George - RWY31
  • La Rochelle - RWY29
  • Tavunaka - RWY23
  • Bala - RWY07
  • Like 2

Updated mod v0.93 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey NightIntruder , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

• Like 1