Quick question to OP : how do you plan to spawn those beauties?

Spawn module, placeable animal in editor? Or do you intent to modifiy the ambiant life configs for Tanoa?

At the moment they are placeable in the editor-I don't know if B@Co plans to keep them that way or not.

• Like 1

@haleks, badbenson is in control of the Ai, the plan is to give them the same recipe (maybe with a little modification) as the Raptors.

You can download the latest release (yesterday) of the Raptors http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31789 they come to life with a module.

• Like 3

it's worth mentioning that you can place a single shark/raptor using the right settings in the module (local mode, agent count 1). and since that is the case i thought it would be wasted effort making the placeable ones work too. no need to have two methods for one thing to achieve.

• Like 3

Just out of modeling theoretical curiosity, how difficult it would he to modify the scale of the shark model to create a couple of different sized ones?

Would the model still look nice if it was enlarged to say 3-4 times the current size, ie. a Megalodon? The textures at least would need redoing at that size, right?

@Vvalerie2 You're right in it that. In this case i use a 2048 texture, when i scale up the model. Say 250% (what is an easy thing to do, by reimport the fbx file into an other scale. Unfortunately, the animation files should also be on this scale reimported) the pixels on the textures wil be 2.5 time bigger, what results in a blurry texture appearance. Any bigger textures is no go in these hardware times, we most keep the motion smooth :P .

B@Co

• Like 1

i have to correct my post from earlier. i thought about this more and realised i totally forgot about zeus. so i decided to add placable raptors, sharks etc too. probably no gonna make it into th next raptor update but the sharks will most likely include it in the first release.

• Like 6

As for shark AI, I have marvelled at some of Bad Bensons videos for the raptors and they look awesome. From the videos their reaction is to hunt and kill with 100% certainty. At least that was the videos.

I think to create even more scary situations when encountering the sharks, that they should have a probability of going after you. Like you are in the water, you see a shark and you don't know if you should get back in the boat or keep swimming towards shore. That probability should of course be configurable for the mission

Just some thoughts; this mod is truly scary not the least because it is so high fidelity in its graphics and animations. Fantastic!

• Like 3

Increasing their chances of attacking when they're below you would be a nice way to stick to reality. ;)

Even more so if you're swimming near the surface.

• Like 2

Also sharks tend to attack more in murky water and when rain storms coming in - that could be nice incentive to 'get the job done before that rain cloud moves in'...

• Like 2

Been playing w/ the Raptors agents module.  I haven't looked into it too deeply other than to spawn some and run around.  It works pretty well!  The shark spawning ability should be as simple :) 

As far as getting weather info etc. that may be possible but at the same time that involves more complexity that could cause failures in certain situations.  IMO it would be better just to let the spawner simply create them.  Use the "KISS" method

• Like 1

Make me think about the movie serie "sharknado" or "giant shark vs ..." :D

• Like 1

Also sharks tend to attack more in murky water and when rain storms coming in - that could be nice incentive to 'get the job done before that rain cloud moves in'...

Oh! and make them super sensitive to bleeding (wounded) creatures! :devil:

They should be able to spot those from super long distances.

Yeah like any of that will be easy to mod.  Sure.

It won't be that hard to do, seriously... <_<'

It's basic position finding and entities filtering.

i'll be honest here. i like those suggestions and will consider some of it but i'm just trying to push all the code out that i was planning to release to take a break or at least take it slower. the reason i offered help is because i already developed a nice base that is easy to adapt to the sharks.

it's also worth considering, if any of this will be worth it in terms of practicality and gameplay payoff. because to most people it will just look like their detection is not working well. of course it's easy to use all the exposed engine values as factors but that's only half the battle. making meaningful stuff that creates interesting gameplay, and most important is not way too easy to predict, takes a lot of testing and tweaking.

too obvious or constructed formulars for aggression can be easily learned and exploited.

total randomness is much more interesting and even that is not easy to achieve in a meaningful way. it's like with bears. sure it's much more likely to get killed by mama bear when she has cups but you might also get unlucky and be killed because some random bear is fearless and curious and decides he wants to chew on your face while you're still alive.

all that being said. an aggression factor is planned for both sharks and raptors at soem point. from there everyone can add whatever they want if credit is given.

i've been thinking about this alot lately actually and what would be the best way to make this work well. one simple approach would be adding randomness to detection ranges for each shark. i know it doesn't sound as fancy on paper but in game it could be interesting.

you see that one shark seems friendly, you get closer and closer because you get cocky. turns out he's fine with you unless you get into biting range. you barely kill him and survive. you think you know the deal now, looking at the next shark from a seemingly safe distance, boom full charge, you're dead.

another idea would be a hunger value per entity. it could increase over time and start at a random value for each shark. and when it hits max, make the shark actively go where prey is to satisfy its needs. combine those and you already get something unpredictable with a certain logic behind it.

i also like the bleeding suggestion. only problem is that the need for a bleeding mechanic. i'll see if i can use that half assed bleeding that is already in the game. another problem i see with it is, if you know it'll get you killed why get in the water? if it's too obvious, it's useless unless you have a whole game mode designed around it that forces certain situations.

anyways. that's how i look at it.

• Like 10

all good thoughts mate.

a lot of this depends on how they will be spawned.

will they be an animal, added to the animals module, and so placed by the mission maker manually all over the map's oceans?

of will they be ambient animals like the turtle, randomly generated, based on a rarity value?

or will they be vehicles piloted by invisible AI like csj's sharks?

either way you would not want to spawn them everywhere, as the lag would be significant (already placing 10 chickens in 10 villages causes unacceptable lag (like 4 fps!) in missions)

so if you want to dynamically spawn them when a player is in the water, either in a boat, or swimming, then this requires something to monitor the state of players (and AI potentially) andspawn them nearby.  This is how I developed the (unpublished) shark module in unsung.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, if you have time.

• Like 3

Violation of the first rule - don't ask.  You should know better.

• Like 1

Violation of the first rule - don't ask.  You should know better.

He didn't ask for release date, just asked for some news. Seriously some people need to relax.

• Like 3

He didn't ask for release date, just asked for some news. Seriously some people need to relax.

And you should read the rules, its against forum rules to ask for an update or ask for a release date. So just a tip, read the rules before you throw in a comment ;)

• Like 1

I have a 2 questions, are the sharks compatible for multiplayer and are they going to surface or stay at the bottom of the sea?

I have a 2 questions, are the sharks compatible for multiplayer and are they going to surface or stay at the bottom of the sea?

Is that surfacing enough for you? :D

mC90jMn.jpg

• Like 4

dayum!

Have a look back through the thread-it's only a couple of pages.plenty of pics and video to enjoy :)