sparxz

Hitting near objects when Line-of-site is clear down scope to target

Did a search and could not find an answer to this, so....

When I am aiming down a rifle sight I have clear-line-of-sight in scope cross-hairs.

Then none of my hits land, only to discover they are hitting the wall in front of me,

which only is only revealed in 3rd person with cross hairs.

Ruins immersion and realism that line of sight is not really line of sight,

and no way of knowing how much one is exposed in firefight.

Is their a mod that fixes this bug/anomaly(corrects the offset), as it not something that would happen in real-life physics ?

Thanks

Actually it's not a bug and is realistic. The line of sight is above the barrel of the rifle which is where the bullet is spawned. Do a google image search for 'line of sight balistic arc' and you can find some examples of line of sight compared to the path a bullet takes in real life.

• Like 4

I am no expert, but shouldnt this exactly *not* happen when aiming down the sights? Of the top of my head I also remember moments where I've hit rocks even if I shouldn't have.

/edit: alright, the scope is above the barrel so yeah, it kinda makes sense if the rock is right in front of you. Still it's not always clear if you will or will not hit the object when I'm cover. In worst case it can really fuck up your moment.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not always clear whether the barrel is blocked or not because a 2D display and less than photorealistic graphics can't provide the same depth perception as your eyes do in real life.

But once you're aware of the mechanics, and with a little practice, the problem becomes pretty non-existent. But it still happens, just like in real life.

The way it works in Arma, is the only right way; I want the bullets to come out of my gun, not from my eyes. That would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

When I am aiming down a rifle sight I have clear-line-of-sight in scope cross-hairs.

Then none of my hits land, only to discover they are hitting the wall in front of me,

Is their a mod that fixes this bug/anomaly(corrects the offset), as it not something that would happen in real-life physics ?

Thanks

Sorry but that's perfectly realistic.

Google images of for "line of sight line of bore".

I post something for you here but I'm at work and its flagging as NSFW.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies.  Fair enough !

I realize the scope is not the barrel, and I know the 3D object designers know their geometry pretty good(down to the mil&inch),

and there is an expected offset from height and angle to converge on the estimated target.

It's suprising me, from firing a similar rifle in real life, over a very near obsicle(2 M from end of barell), that I could dip so low

and not notice.

Interesting that laser attachments follow the barrel and not necessarily aligned from same position as sights.

I will experiment more, from 3rd person camera, and trace bore-line, to see how my eyes are so easily fooled,

and work out a visual reference from lower reticule, to know how low is too-low, per obstacle distance.

Thanks.

In my opinion sparxz is right, for me when waindows or towers block your bullets is simply a bug, because is not that the bullets get out of your eyes is like the bullets get out under the weapon.

Games like red orchestra do that far better than arma 3.

giphy.gif

By the way just taking a look at tripwire interactive website I have noticed that they are going to release Rising Storm 2 - Vietnam.

I am all into that.

• Like 1

In my opinion sparxz is right, for me when waindows or towers block your bullets is simply a bug, because is not that the bullets get out of your eyes is like the bullets get out under the weapon.

The bullets get out of the barrel.

Cheers

If you're looking through optics then I guess it's reasonable that you can accidentally shoot your cover. When unscoped, your aiming pipette cursor will help replace your missing 3D component and will identify that you're pointing your barrel at your cover. It's a pretty good reason to enable it ingame IMO as you don't have the visceral kinesthetic sense of your weapon.. It's not a "cheat" (it's pretty useless for accurate aiming) it's an appropriate replacement for an ability you have lost.

• Like 1

Thanks

Now imagine the surprise when it happens IRL. I was indeed very surprised :) Though reality provides you with additional effects so you may quickly realize what's wrong...