namrewob1

Gendarmerie Re-Armed

Gendarmerie Re-Armed

Hello everyone! Today I'd like to introduce you to a small mod I'm making, Gendarmerie Re-Armed.

Over the past few weeks I've been constructing a new campaign for my group on Tanoa, however the reason behind us being on the islands was lacking enough assets ingame to tell the story properly. My group is a PMC and Peace Keeping organisation who have been brought onto the islands to help the Gendarmerie deal with the massive problem that is Syndikat. Using the Apex assets is great as they're are very high quality, however I felt that there wasn't enough variety. If the Gendarmerie are going to deal with a paramilitary force they are going to need more equipment, so here we are.

At the moment I'm using a retextured Press vest as the main body armour, I've buffed the armour to give them more of a chance, I've also equipped them with the Modular Helmet from the AAF. The units are currently using the L1A1 SLR from the 3CB Weapons Pack to fit their unprepared look (also because my unit uses their absolutely fantastic weapons). I've purposefully made them look close to what the Fijian army looks like as it fits the AO.

My future plans are to port Land Rovers and a Huey to better fit the look of the units. However I have no clue how to do it, so any help would be appreciated.

More updates to follow!

http://imgur.com/a/0LBNL

• Like 7

Nice! I always thought the Gendarmerie were lacking in some vehicles and equipment and its nice to see a mod trying to address that but still leave them with their "unprepared" look. :)

• Like 1

Nice mod. Definitely need an update for these guys. Same for the Police on Altis and Stratis.

Can you add support for the ADR-97 from Steam Work Shop? I figure they could use additional PDW. Would be a good fit for them.

Very cool concept. I look forward to this. It would be nice to see some better equipped units, perhaps using 3CB BAF L119s, that function as an elite element to the Gendarmerie as well.

Nice idea, maybe you could give them a good old french weapon like the Famas ! Since they are of french inheritance...

• Like 1

At the minute I'm going to keep them as a pretty ill equipped force, their equipment would be all second hand as they're only a militarized Police force/Militia.

@SovietPanda The only reason they're not using a Famas is because I want to save room on the amount of mods that my group uses, since they'll essentially be ambient units, no one will actually be playing them. However after we're done with them in this campaign, I'd love to get them their own Famas. I'd just need to source one from somewhere as I'd also like the mod not to have any dependencies. 

What I do need help with right now is suggested names for the different types of units, I could just call them Rifleman, Officer and so on, but it isn't very authentic. Is anyone able to supply some French names for military roles and their translations?

Edit: I also need vehicle ideas, I have no clue about French vehicles and what they'd use. 

• Like 2

At the minute I'm going to keep them as a pretty ill equipped force, their equipment would be all second hand as they're only a militarized Police force/Militia.

@SovietPanda The only reason they're not using a Famas is because I want to save room on the amount of mods that my group uses, since they'll essentially be ambient units, no one will actually be playing them. However after we're done with them in this campaign, I'd love to get them their own Famas. I'd just need to source one from somewhere as I'd also like the mod not to have any dependencies. 

What I do need help with right now is suggested names for the different types of units, I could just call them Rifleman, Officer and so on, but it isn't very authentic. Is anyone able to supply some French names for military roles and their translations?

Edit: I also need vehicle ideas, I have no clue about French vehicles and what they'd use. 

1. Well for the Famas, the Battlegroup XXI made a pretty good model here : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192928-bg21-french-equipment/

If you ask kindly, I'm sure Tyranos will give you the authorisation to use his work, he's a nice guy ! Worth trying !

2. About the names, I could help you if you need it ! Just PM me.

3. For the vehicles, we sadly lack french used vehicles in ArmA III. The most accurate ones would be Vans or Sedans with the generic Gendarmerie pattern, I don't really know what you could find. Get some ideas here maybe : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendarmerie_nationale_fran%C3%A7aise#V.C3.A9hicules

• Like 1

If I can weigh in here- If you can keep the mod without dependencies that would be great. 

EDIT- Or optional PBOS for various weapon mods, so they can use whatever weapon you like.

• Like 1

If I can weigh in here- If you can keep the mod without dependencies that would be great. 

Sure, but if he gets the authorisation from the mod author he could directly include the weapon (and only what he needs) in his own mod. ^^

• Like 1

I would love to have no dependencies as really they're only meant to be ambient units. So hopefully I'll be able to secure use of the FAMAS as it's quite a good weapon, I've been trying it out for most of the early hours and think it would fit rather well. Just need to send him a message, then I'll go from there.

As for vehicles, I'm sick and tired of vanilla retextures, but I think that's what I'll have to use for the moment.

@SovietPanda I'll message you in due course about names for the roles, I'm just getting all of my programs installed again after computer failure. But don't worry, all my mod work is stored on a flash drive and is all okay! 

• Like 1

This looks very promising:) Also +1 for using the Famas and having no dependencies ! To make things more compatible maybe leave the vanilla units untouched (simple bascic police units)  and add your units to the Gendarmerie faction as some kind of  SWAT units :)

• Like 2

I like that idea, it would certainly add a bit of variety and leave the base units if people wanted them too, rather than just overwriting them. I could call it the Gendarmerie Nationale, the same as the real life organisation, gives it a lot more of a believable backstory then. I'll see what I can do!

I now have permission to include the FAMAS in my pack, once I'm done with my own unit's stuff, work shall begin again on getting the Gendarmerie fleshed out.

• Like 2

This is great stuff, mate! I weep for the poor, under-equipped Gendarmerie in vanilla APEX xD

• Like 1

I don't know if it's too much to ask, but could you do a reskin to have either "police" written or just have it blank? I'd like to use them as a police force on multiple maps. If you could I'd be extremely thankful.

I don't know if it's too much to ask, but could you do a reskin to have either "police" written or just have it blank? I'd like to use them as a police force on multiple maps. If you could I'd be extremely thankful.

Police and Gendarmerie Forces are two distinguished units in several countries, it won't be realistic or logical to use a Gendarmerie Skin and put 'Police' on it. Also, this is not what the author is trying to do...

• Like 2

Police and Gendarmerie Forces are two distinguished units in several countries, it won't be realistic or logical to use a Gendarmerie Skin and put 'Police' on it. Also, this is not what the author is trying to do...

That's pretty much what I'm aiming to do. I want to keep it as realistic to the Gendarmerie as possible without making the addon too bulky.