HeroesandvillainsOS

Is Random Start broken or am I using it wrong?

Ok so I place a unit on the map. Then I place some empty markers. I right click on the unit, select Random Start, and then link the unit one by one with this option to the empty markers.

This isn't working for a random spawn point. Is that not the right way to do it? My unit is only spawning where I place him. Isn't this supposed to be the newest method for "randomly" spawning units and objects in Eden?

This is all vanilla Arma 1.64 and I'm stumped.

Ok so I place a unit on the map. Then I place some empty markers. I right click on the unit, select Random Start, and then link the unit one by one with this option to the empty markers.

This isn't working for a random spawn point. Is that not the right way to do it? My unit is only spawning where I place him. Isn't this supposed to be the newest method for "randomly" spawning units and objects in Eden?

This is all vanilla Arma 1.64 and I'm stumped.

I dont think you need to do all that. How I achieved it is by simply syncing the player with empty markers. Try that maybe?

Interesting. I actually tried that and after syncing the empty module to the player, the sync line disappears. I'll take a closer look at it and try it again so thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder what the heck Random Start is for if it doesn't make the object spawn randomly at the markers? All YouTube and Google searches tell me what I did was the recommended way for accomplishing this with Eden. Perhaps it's a bug or maybe I need to name the markers or units something or fill out the init lines in some way?

Another, probably working method from the great Haleks:

I never sync'd players to markers, and I don't know if it ever worked this way, but here's a simple way to do it :

this setpos (getMarkerPos (selectRandom [marker1, marker2]));
Past this in the init line of any player, add in your own markers and you should be good to go.

I'll just use this instead.

• Like 1

So are you saying it's broken now, or that it worked the last time you checked?

It was working, now it's broken.

I still miss the placement radius that excluded water the most.

• Like 1

Same problem. "this setpos (getMarkerPos (selectRandom [marker1, marker2])); " dont work for me as well ...

• Like 1

Anything position relation should have SHK_Pos., hands down:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/153382-shk-pos/

init.sqf:

titleText ["Random Start Generating", "BLACK FADED", 3];
sleep 3;
titleText [":)", "BLACK IN", 5];

_rndpos = [getMarkerPos "m1", [500,3000], random 360, 0] call SHK_pos; // anchor position, distance array, random direction around //anchor pt., no water
player setpos _rndpos;

For a more 'vanilla' approach:

init.sqf:

titleText ["Random Start Generating", "BLACK FADED", 3];
sleep 3;
titleText [":)", "BLACK IN", 5];

_rndpos = [getMarkerPos "m1", 50, 2000, 9, 0] call BIS_fnc_findSafePos;
player setpos _rndpos;

Hope you guys find it useful :)

Same problem. "this setpos (getMarkerPos (selectRandom [marker1, marker2])); " dont work for me as well ...

Shouldnt the marker names be in quotes?? --->> "marker1", "marker2"

Aand how are you calling this line?

Shouldnt the marker names be in quotes?? --->> "marker1", "marker2"

Aand how are you calling this line?

this here refers to the unit (player) you want to place on a marker position. So, the code must be in the init field of the unit (player). But in multiplayer, this code will run at each connecting player (as all the init fields). You need to add something like if !(isServer) exitwith {}; before this line.

And yes a marker is known by a string. If you place a marker in editor and write myMarker as the variable name, you have to write "myMarker" for each commands in relation to this marker, like getMarkerPos "myMarker".

• Like 1

this here refers to the unit (player) you want to place on a marker position. So, the code must be in the init field of the unit (player). But in multiplayer, this code will run at each connecting player (as all the init fields). You need to add something like if !(isServer) exitwith {}; before this line.

And yes a marker is known by a string. If you place a marker in editor and write myMarker as the variable name, you have to write "myMarker" for each commands in relation to this marker, like getMarkerPos "myMarker".

No wonder I am MP Illiterate :)