Sign in to follow this  
terox

VOIP broken in lobby when over 60 players

We are having issues with voip while in the lobby (Unit selection screen) when we have over 60 players on the server.

The issue is, the transmitting client see's himself transmitting in the overlay but the receiving clients hear nothing.

The issue goes away as soon as we switch to briefing

There are no issues while the mission is running

This has only just been brought to my attention and afaik this was an issue pre 1.64

This is most likely not noticeable by most servers due to the player numbers required to break this

do you have a teamspeak server? if so that would be better to use before a mission. 

This issue has nothing to do with external application.It's about arma.

This issue has nothing to do with external application.It's about arma.

doesn't matter this is the bis forums, i gave a temporary fix and one which is vastly superior to the ingame voip at that. he can report the issue to feedback tracker. and anyway the player select screen is such a small part of the game... they can use text chat if someone wants a spot, its better because everyone will be able to clearly understand the meaning behind what was written unlike with voip where many people can speak at the same time and it becomes very difficult to understand what was said. they can also use Steam group chat / voice however steam voip is not the best, but everyone should have steam anyway... 

doesn't matter this is the bis forums, i gave a temporary fix and one which is vastly superior to the ingame voip at that. he can report the issue to feedback tracker. and anyway the player select screen is such a small part of the game... they can use text chat if someone wants a spot, its better because everyone will be able to clearly understand the meaning behind what was written unlike with voip where many people can speak at the same time and it becomes very difficult to understand what was said. they can also use Steam group chat / voice however steam voip is not the best, but everyone should have steam anyway... 

Or they can play another game.

do you have a teamspeak server? if so that would be better to use before a mission. 

I've been running arma servers since ofp 1.0 and have a large community, of course I have teamspeak servers

VOIP is used for vanilla servers where public can turn up without teamspeak. This is generally the gateway for newcomers to the arma engine

For that reason VOIP needs to work correctly.

Not every server out there runs TFR/ACRE by default, that requires addons, which is a barrier to new comers to the game.

We run 2 public game nights a week which has been drawing in 80 players who cannot hear the comms when we are organising slotting up nor can they hear the call to join teamspeak unless they are monitoring chat.

Teamspeak is also not superior to voip.

It does have advantages, it also has disadvantages and we use a mix of the 2 comms systems on our vanilla servers to make the best use of those advantages.

Also slotting up in an organised manner testing in game comms before launching to briefing is VITAL if you want good organised coop play. 

Steam/Mumble/Discoord/Skype and every other solution you can think of has nothing to do with the internal workings of the arma voip. These are all outside the game and are more suitable to a discussion on what is the best comms system to use for a community/clan.

I'm also well aware of the ticketing procedure, however first I need to find out if this is an issue just with us or with other communities. I doubt there are many that run with 60+ players via voip in a public environment, but we'll see.

Your solution is not viable.

so please lets nip the Teamspeak / TFAR / ACRE discussion in the bud now before this turns into a thread it wasn't intended to  :)