terox

1.64 & Markers & Comms (VOIP) channel synchronisation

The issue

Pre 1.64

When placing a marker in a channel for example side and then switching to global/group voip the marker could still be seen.

As in if you had access to the channel the marker was placed in by another, you could see that marker in all channels

(This is the way it should be)

Post 1.64

Placing a marker in a comms channel. eg side and then switching to group hides the marker.

This is problematic when using voip, especially when switching between group comms and command comms.

To work around this, a marker has to be placed several times in all channels to make it visible all the time. This is not logical or practical.

(This is not the way it should be)

Solution

This needs reverting back to pre 1.64 marker channel system 

On the plus side, having the name of the marker creator pop up on map view is a welcome addition and will help discipline marker spammers, so thanks for that.

• Like 11

I agree the pre 1.64 functionality was much more effective. A possible solution would be to provide a way to select which marker channels are visible at the top right of the map screen beside the current drop down menus for marker colour and marker type, and the buttons for toggle map texture and center on player position. A drop down menu with check boxes to select which radio channel markers are visible.

From the 1.64 changelog:

• Added: Drawing markers is now connected with the current (VON) communications channel also

I saw that just before our regular Thursday Mission Night started and thought to myself "oh god, this will be a bitch and a half". True enough, it was.

All my +1's to teroxs' request. Please please please revert.

• Like 1

Having to continuously switch between channels just to see the correct information whilst you're trying to juggle voip channels is an absolute nightmare.

+1

What was argument for having this feature?

And when was it posting on devbranch changelog?I seem to missed it.Along with anyone else.

Oh found it.It was posted on 27-07-2016 on dev branch.

Side and Global channel markers should be visible at all times to the player.

The VoN channels is not an immersive system so extra button pushing to view markers is unnecessary and a 'rough edge' on the experience of ArmA players.

• Like 3

Yeah, can't say I understand the rationale behind this. It seems to ignore how markers are typically used in multiplayer. If you wanted to emphasize which markers are for which channel, you could do this in other ways that don't completely strip the other markers from view. 

• Like 4

Why not simply add some checkboxes where one can define which channels are displayed, or am I missing the point?

why not simply revert it to the way it was before...

no need to re-invent the wheel... and break it in many different ways like now...

• Like 3

yes please don't try a fix on this just revert to how it was, there were never any complaints about it, it worked and time could have been spent on more important issues.

• Like 4

apparently this has been reverted back to how it was in the latest dev branch

apparently this has been reverted back to how it was in the latest dev branch

not quite reverted

as it is currently (1.64 stable), they are just tweaking the marker alpha

so instead of marker alpha 0 they are making it visible but not marker alpha 1 like current channel markers.

not quite reverted

as it is currently (1.64 stable), they are just tweaking the marker alpha

so instead of marker alpha 0 they are making it visible but not marker alpha 1 like current channel markers.

? I'm assuming what you are saying is that the marker is going to be as visible as possible in the channel it was created in but more transparent in other channels.

If that is the case, whats the bloody point in that ?

Why can't B.I just for once revert rather than bodge something that should never have been touched in the first place.

Besides current cons, have we established what is design philosophy behind this tweaks.What are you trying to achieve?

It needs to be clear that text comms play big part in either administration actions (admins, GMs, players reporting)

and public servers where plans and units falls on map text comms from movements to general info.

Not taking this in account would be detrimental to player base.

I seem to be mistaken, they are not using marker alpha, at least not an alpha accessible with (markerAlpha marker) code.

marker alpha = 1 yet marker is not visible, may be some engine internal alternative to marker alpha.

They should have brought a hotfix for that. It's creating massive confusion.

Agreed that the map marker system needs to be reverted, having separate visible channels are just plain annoying. I am forever cycling channels to see markers and duplicating my own markers in different channels where needed. :/

On another note, anyone else notice that if you are on the "Independent" side, but not in the same group, you are able to hover your mouse on the map and see another "Independent" player markers... by the way of their 'pop up name', not the actual marker or details... but it reveals exactly where that player placed their marker (I found this issue in A3Wasteland, not sure if it affects other game modes or missions). IMO if you are unable to see the marker, you should be unable to hover and reveal their name.

Anyway... revert, please and thanks. :)

-soul.

Why not add an option to toggle the appereance of markers, either in their respecting channels or all at once?

Why not add an option to toggle the appereance of markers, either in their respecting channels or all at once?

more buttons?   :face_palm:

Yes, please add more buttons to Arma 3, I would love for it to finally claim my ; and ' keys, the final holdouts of my keybaord/mouse right now, as everything else is already bound or double bound. I think just make Side, Global, Local (If within range) markers visible to everyone. 

This needs reverting back to pre 1.64 marker channel system 

Yes, this, please. Current system in 1.66 is maddening.